2 acre foodplot

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
wisbowmadness

2 acre foodplot

Postby wisbowmadness » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:03 pm

So i have a foodplot up here in northern WI that i have never planted and has not been planted in about 10 years. The soil is not perfect and more acidic then i would like. I killed the weeds and plan on spreading lime and fertilizer but i am aware that it takes up to a year for the Ph in the soil to change however i want to plant the plot in a few weeks to get good summer food for scouting but also a lot of atractent into hopefully late fall or deep into bow season. It is oval shaped and is boardered on one side by a drop in elevation into a cedar swamp and the other by a 15 year old clear cut. I am looking for suggestions on what to plant in order to get best results. Im aware 2 acres is not a huge plot and want to make the most of what i got on this particular sight. There is not a huge deer density and my biggest concern is attracting deer for the fall hunt. Thanks in advance!
Jake
-its not a passion...its an obsession-

msbadger

Re: 2 acre foodplot

Postby msbadger » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:59 am

Ladino clover will grow in less than perfect PH....but you'll be dealing with 10 years of dormant weed seed ....so here are your options....plant a spring summer annual like buckwheat...and then plant a fall crop of winter wheat...both these are weed suppressors...or turnips in the fall....Option two...work the ground most of summer to kill dormant weeds then plant a good clover plot with winter grain as a cover for clover in the fall...or just plant the clover and deal with weeds by mowing and spraying with a grass and broad leaf weed killer made for legumes....once the plot is in shape if it is well drained and has good sun exposure...alfalfa is great but PH has to be 6.5 or above to really thrive....

Then again you could go with a RR ready corn...corn can handle a less that perfect PH...but really depletes soil nutrients ...where as soybeans not as well....Good luck
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:03 pm

msbadger wrote:Ladino clover will grow in less than perfect PH....but you'll be dealing with 10 years of dormant weed seed ....so here are your options....plant a spring summer annual like buckwheat...and then plant a fall crop of winter wheat...both these are weed suppressors...or turnips in the fall....Option two...work the ground most of summer to kill dormant weeds then plant a good clover plot with winter grain as a cover for clover in the fall...or just plant the clover and deal with weeds by mowing and spraying with a grass and broad leaf weed killer made for legumes....once the plot is in shape if it is well drained and has good sun exposure...alfalfa is great but PH has to be 6.5 or above to really thrive....

Then again you could go with a RR ready corn...corn can handle a less that perfect PH...but really depletes soil nutrients ...where as soybeans not as well....Good luck

I don't have much to add..... this lady knows her stuff and is spot on ...and more knowledgeable than i . Im happier with clover and alfalfa in my state [Illinois] because its a perenial and keeps coming back usually agood 5-6yrs..which equals less work.Also i must state the obvious ....the property i hunt has a half acre plot and is surrounded on the outskirts by Ag fields of corn and than beans rotated ...my philosiphy for small plots is to never compete with the framers field ...he plants corn and than evry other yr beans ...so i would never plant that on this property because the holding power would be diminished..[imo] so i offer something he doesnt -aka -alfalfa and clover-

Smallplot

Postby Smallplot » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:15 pm

Here is what I would recommend for a spring planting. Get a soil sample and till or disk in required amounts of Lime, P, K and a little bit of N. Let sit for couple of weeks until new growth appears. Spray with RU or GLY. drill seeds or broadcast and cultipack.

Ladino is slow to establish so considering that I would plant a mix of Ladino, and med red clover or (ladino and berseem clover). Ladino will out compeate the med red within a couple years. (Berseem is not cold tolerant but quick to establish ) alone or with a cover crop of spring oats should do well.

In late August go in and overseed half with Winter Rye Spring oats, and Groundhog Forage Radish.
www.pikecountyfoodplots.com

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:39 pm

Welcome to the forum Smallplot. Your knowledge and experience will be helpful. With a monicar like that, is this your forte? Or business related? If you wish to advertise or sell here, you will need to contact Ben at Ben.Sobieck@fwmedia.com. If not, then enjoy the forum. There is an enormous knowledge base within these electronic walls, and it is at your fingertips. :)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Smallplot

Postby Smallplot » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:45 pm

kellory wrote:Welcome to the forum Smallplot. Your knowledge and experience will be helpful. With a monicar like that, is this your forte? Or business related? If you wish to advertise or sell here, you will need to contact Ben at Ben.Sobieck@fwmedia.com. If not, then enjoy the forum. There is an enormous knowledge base within these electronic walls, and it is at your fingertips. :)

Just a misplaced farmer who also likes hunting and helping others while enjoying two of my hobbies together, farming and hunting :D . Hope to lend my $.02 so some others may not make the mistakes i have either seen or made myself.
www.pikecountyfoodplots.com

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:13 pm

Smallplot wrote:
kellory wrote:Welcome to the forum Smallplot. Your knowledge and experience will be helpful. With a monicar like that, is this your forte? Or business related? If you wish to advertise or sell here, you will need to contact Ben at Ben.Sobieck@fwmedia.com. If not, then enjoy the forum. There is an enormous knowledge base within these electronic walls, and it is at your fingertips. :)

Just a misplaced farmer who also likes hunting and helping others while enjoying two of my hobbies together, farming and hunting :D . Hope to lend my $.02 so some others may not make the mistakes i have either seen or made myself.

Then you are doubly welcome. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

WBowhunt

Postby WBowhunt » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:37 am

I think you need to check on the type of lime you plan to use. I can tell you from experience that I have found that pelleted, although easier to spread, seems to be slower to adjust soil ph. Ag ( Powdered) lime when spread with a drop spreader, tilled in and reapplied, can quickly adjust Soild PH.
My experience with plots so far, is I do both. The big issue is that lime only adjust the soil it comes in contact with. It does not leech down into the soil. So if you are going to do, do it right and add at least 1/2 the recommended lime before you Till. Then till it under and add the rest. Other wise only the top inch or two of soil comes into contact with the lime and you can good seed growth, but shallow roots.
That is just what I have found works best for me.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon May 07, 2012 5:49 am

Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements