yearling buck dispersal

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
jddiiv

yearling buck dispersal

Postby jddiiv » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:01 pm

I have a smaller piece of property, but I have two good food plots about 3/4 acre each with clovers, brassicas, etc. I also have two mineral licks that I freshen regularly, & I supplemental feed a high powered mix with vitamins, minerals, calcium, & high protein. My question; Will the yearling buck dispersal adversely affect the quality of the deer on my property. The does that are life residents of the neighborhood have healthy fawns & the yearling bucks are nice deer with good headgear, only to be replaced with runty spikes after the dispersal. Any ideas or comments?? Seems like I'm taking one step forward & two steps back.

schlupis

RE: yearling buck dispersal

Postby schlupis » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:31 pm

First off nice buck in the pic. I wouldnt worry too much about the yearling dispersal because there are new sets of young buck relocating to your property aswell. Just remember that runty spike might turn out in a few years to be a 150" buck.. Keep doing what you are doing with the mineral sights and supplemental feeding if you make you property a haven for deer you will pull the big ones in, deer will begin to stay on your property because it will have all the things they are looking for and need to survive.. Keep killing does and passing small bucks and you will be just fine..

Good luck to you.

I think I am reading your hat correct but does it say phillips wis if so I have a buddy from up there he shot the state record in 93 there.

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:37 am

Buck dispersal, as i understand it, is a neutral factor. If a strong buck disperses off your property, that's bad. If a strong buck disperses onto your property, that's good. It is just the force of nature working on the animal and you cannot alter it w/o a high fence.

The food plots that feed buck fawns today is not what determines their antler size when they reach maturity. However the habitat and nutrition has made your property a desirable place for doe groups and that will keep mature bucks visiting.

Again, no degree behind my name, just my thoughts.

pschuh32

Postby pschuh32 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:38 pm

Yearling bucks are less likely to disperse from their birthing areas if their mothers are taken out of the deer herd.  Some may have a hard time with this idea since it means taking a doe that has fawns with her, but if I see a doe with twin bucks fawns she's targeted over a doe with one buck fawn or only doe fawns.  I've been doing this for quite a few years now, I don't know if it's doing any good for my hunting but I do know once a doe is removed her fawns tend to shrink their core area which means much more of their movement is on the property I hunt where they're safe from hunting.

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements