sound attractant

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
msbadger

sound attractant

Postby msbadger » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:37 am

We have well over hundred red oak on the property ...but not all are producing and as many know it's every few years when theres a true bumper crop....but every year at least some have a FEW acorns...any how this year has been pretty good and they've been dropping since early sept...with Ike and a few other high wind storms there are not many left dropping....Our bow opener opens so late Oct 18th that it's hard to utalize the sound of dropping acorns in hopes to bring deer in...most our apples have fallen as well...so in these cases I carry a small pouch filled with differant sized stones....if I haven't seen anything in a while I'll take out that pouch and occationally toss a few....you would be surprised how well that works to bring in critters from squirrel to deer and turkey...........

shaman

RE: sound attractant

Postby shaman » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:27 am

I used to carry a bag of acorns and use the sound of the acorns dropping through the limbs as a lure. 

Conversely, I am a big proponent of using the natural sound of acorns falling as a determinant as to which stand to pick.  As it gets later into the season, deer will gravitate to the last trees still dropping.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:06 am

I'm from Illinois. I carry a CD player that has the sound of a combine on it. It works every time!!!!  [;)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:50 pm

hey WW electronic calls are verbotton[;)]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:56 pm

Ya know I have heard of this before.. It's good to get some more postives from it.. Do you ware gloves when you throw them down or no? I was just wondering about scent.. But then again, Im picky about that kinda stuff.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Return to Best Practices