Rubber boot odors

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Patriot

RE: Rubber boot odors

Postby Patriot » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:57 pm

This wasn't my original post, but thanks everyone.  I've been wondering about rubber boot smell as well.

You guys (and gals) are awesome!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:07 am

I just wanted y'all to know that I just went and smelled my LaCrosse bowhunter boots that I purchased back in the mid-nineties. Somewhere in the past couple of years, the smell has finally left-- at least I could not smell any.

For their first decade of life, they got pampered. I used them only for early season hunting and kept them in a temperature-controlled basement the rest of the year.  For the last few years, they've been left in a farm house that has the power turned off 5 of 7 days a week.  They have also been used for late winter chores and rainy day turkey hunting.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:01 am

and ya didnt keel over[:D][:D][:D][:D]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:38 am

ORIGINAL: OHhunter

Here's my question, What do you all do about the odors that come from the inside of your rubber boots, I always tuck my pants down inside, but you got to figure theres definately some odors coming out the top.  Doesn't this defeat all the effort we put into being scent free and wearing carbon suits?

Smart Answer #1: I try to keep my nose outta there.  It's really gnarly. 

Smart Answer #2: As long as you have your smelly feet in there, the deer will be scared off long before they come up and stick their noses in. 

Smart Answer #3: If the deer get too close, spray them with the scent killer.

My big problem is the accumulation of rat poison in the toes.  Over the winter, the mice get in use my boots to store their food.  When I come back for turkey season, all the boots have D-Con pellets stored in there.  The good news is that after a few days with the windows open, the smell of dead mice usually leaves turkey camp.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Smoothbore

Postby Smoothbore » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:53 am

Just bought a pair of field and stream 1000 gram thins. boots about a month ago didn't have any rubber smell what so ever.  I also got away from rubber boots for a couple of years because of the weight (do a lot of rabbit hunting) but the problem with leather is they get water logged and if you don't have a boat dryer they stay that way for a couple of days. So I went back to rubber and so far am pretty happy I did.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:03 pm

ORIGINAL: shaman

ORIGINAL: OHhunter

Here's my question, What do you all do about the odors that come from the inside of your rubber boots, I always tuck my pants down inside, but you got to figure theres definately some odors coming out the top.  Doesn't this defeat all the effort we put into being scent free and wearing carbon suits?

Smart Answer #1: I try to keep my nose outta there.  It's really gnarly. 

Smart Answer #2: As long as you have your smelly feet in there, the deer will be scared off long before they come up and stick their noses in. 

Smart Answer #3: If the deer get too close, spray them with the scent killer.

My big problem is the accumulation of rat poison in the toes.  Over the winter, the mice get in use my boots to store their food.  When I come back for turkey season, all the boots have D-Con pellets stored in there.  The good news is that after a few days with the windows open, the smell of dead mice usually leaves turkey camp.
if they get that close do i get to slap em and count "COUP"
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

mb41

Postby mb41 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:18 am

I set mine in the sunshine for an afternoon or two if possible before the season.

That seems to make them un-stink like rubber.

Previous

Return to General Discussions