Rubber tote

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
DeerCamp

Rubber tote

Postby DeerCamp » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:48 am

I just wanted to put this on here for those of you who dont have one.. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND using a rubber tote! These work great! This is the 1st year I have used one and I am very happy with it.  You can store all your hunting clothes in it, boots, coats,gloves ect...And just put a pine branch in it and your clothes will smell like pine. It also covers the scent very well, if you are a scent freak.  I bought a large tote and I can bring all my hunting clothing in it even boots. Its not that big, but yet it can hold every thing scent free. I really would get one if you havent already used on. They are very cheap too and you can find them just about anywhere, walmart, meijer, k-mart and so on..
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

DeanoZ

RE: Rubber tote

Postby DeanoZ » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:31 am

A friend of mine turned me on to using totes..best thing I ever did...I wash my garb in scent neutralizer, then squirt scent eliminator on it and store it in the tote...i'm goign to try the pine branch, thats a great idea!

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:16 am

i've used a tote for a couple years now, they are great. i actually have two, one for clean clothes and one for dirty clothes. i keep my store of clean clothes in the clean tote, and then once ive worn something and it gets my scent on it, i store it in the dirty tote so those clothes dont contaminate the clean ones. i also put pine branches in my totes. not sure if it pays, but i do it anyway, cant hurt anything.
another great thing i started doing is wearing a plastic rain suit under my jacket and pants. its a little warm early season, but keeps your scent in great in the field. I just dont have the cake to spend on a scent lok suit, but if a plastic bin will keep your clothes scent free, shouldnt a plastic suit keep your body scent in while hunting? so i bought a 15 dollar plastic rain suit and wear it under my regular jacket and pants. its a little more work to keep from getting sweaty, because those things do not breath at all. but it works great as " a poor man's scent lok suit" as i call it.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:00 am

I also am a lover of the tote.  Used them for about 5 years now.

I have one that I take on my hunting trips and one for stuff not needed (i.e. heavy jackets, bibs during early season hunts).

My main hunting area is 3 hours away.  Traveling with a tote also keeps all my stuff from getting damaged in transit.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:06 pm

I prefer the scent bags made by scent killer I think. Better than a tote, I seperate by type of clothing in each bag, they`re more compressible, meaning, I can throw them on the back seat of the truck, and they take up little space, plus, conform to whatever space they have to sit in.

Just my opinion.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:20 pm

480---How durable are those bags? Ive seen them before at Ganger Mtn. I thought about buying them, and putting my stuff in the bags and then in the tote.. That was my orignal idea at least..
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:31 pm

I`m using bags I`ve had for 5 years or better. Only reason I ever got any new one`s, was because the zip-loc closure got better.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:54 pm

Ok here is how I have progressed over the years with clothing and storing it...

--At first I just washed my clothes in scent free soap and stored them in Xerox boxes.
--I then progressed to Hunter's Specialties Scent free plastic bags, doing the same routine with washing my clothes in scent free detergent, etc.  I then would put in scent wafers in the bags that smell like dirt.
--Now I just buy those XXL Zip Loc bags, spray them down inside with scent killer and store my clothes in them, and then put them in my plastic tote along with my boots.  The tote is nice since it carries easily and I can carry everything I want in there whether it's the clothes inside the bag or my scent killer spray and boots outside, and any of my other accessories.  Also, those Zip Loc bags are a lot cheaper than buying those Hunter's Specialties bags!!!!

PS  I don't use scent wafers anymore either since I started using Scentblocker!

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:45 pm

I just bought a rubber tote also and it has worked very nice. It's nice having all your clothes in 1 container and not losing things or having your clothes spread out all over.
Kyle

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:08 pm

ORIGINAL: vipermann7

i've used a tote for a couple years now, they are great. i actually have two, one for clean clothes and one for dirty clothes. i keep my store of clean clothes in the clean tote, and then once ive worn something and it gets my scent on it, i store it in the dirty tote so those clothes dont contaminate the clean ones. i also put pine branches in my totes. not sure if it pays, but i do it anyway, cant hurt anything.
another great thing i started doing is wearing a plastic rain suit under my jacket and pants. its a little warm early season, but keeps your scent in great in the field. I just dont have the cake to spend on a scent lok suit, but if a plastic bin will keep your clothes scent free, shouldnt a plastic suit keep your body scent in while hunting? so i bought a 15 dollar plastic rain suit and wear it under my regular jacket and pants. its a little more work to keep from getting sweaty, because those things do not breath at all. but it works great as " a poor man's scent lok suit" as i call it.
PLASTIC RAIN SUIT?I'll send ya 10$ if you can honestly say you dont sweat wearing a plastic/pvc rain suit.I tried em for fishing 20 yrs ago ,might as well stand in the rain.
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Next

Return to Best Practices