smoke attractant

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
vipermann7

smoke attractant

Postby vipermann7 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:20 am

A couple years ago I found a website that sells what is basically incense sticks for deer hunting. they burn in a metal can that you hang from a tree and just smolder, blowing out lots of smoke. the idea is that they smell like things that are supposed to attract deer. they have some food type ones for early season, and estrus type ones for rut time. so not only is the smoke supposed to attract deer, but the smoke is supposed act as a cover scent to mask your human odor even if the deer come in down wind.

has anyone heard of such a thing, tried it, and know it actually works?

So.IL_Slinger

RE: smoke attractant

Postby So.IL_Slinger » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:15 pm

I tried some 3-4 years ago from "deersense".  Had a young six pointer come in to the all-season stick, but that was about it.   Tinks also makes a version, or at least they used to.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:16 pm

Some where along the lines I sware I heard some negative responses.... I cant remember what was said, and again I could be totally wrong on it too.. Im not sure If I would get fined for using one of those here in Michigan because of the stupid cwd, and the no baiting laws.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

shadow

Postby shadow » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:33 pm

I had used them last year and had found that they do not seem to make a difference, at least for me at the time I had used them on my hunts. I will try them again this year since I still have 6 sticks left.

They are in the Cabela's catalog, and I have a Cabela's 20 mins., away so I bought some. I do not think I'll buy any again unless I notice with the remaing sticks that they'll help draw in the deer. 

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:00 pm

I've used them for several years and have had deer come in2 days after burning them to dig in the ashes......I've taken a couple of sevens and an eight with in hours of burning them.....

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:01 pm

deer are soooo curious ,sprinkle vanilla ,Cinnamon, and they will check it out 
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:02 pm

I tried the one that you burn under a 5 gal bucket with holes in it. I thought it was junk.

allthingshunting

Postby allthingshunting » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:06 am

I tried the sticks as well.  The year i used them, i had deer in the area, but I didn't feel they reacted / were brought in by the sticks at all.

Probably are effective occasionally, might even create negative reaction in certain cases.  Who knows.

Return to General Discussions