Morning Hunt October 10

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
rickyChunts84

Morning Hunt October 10

Postby rickyChunts84 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:42 pm

October 10 Hunt A Good Laugh For You All

I got up and left the house by 6:15 am and got 2/3 of the way to where I hunt when I remembered that I left my fanny pack with all my deer calls, deer scents, license, and knife. It was getting late so I decided to hunt and if I hit something I would go home and get my stuff before starting to track it. I walked the fenceline back through two fields and then entered the woods on a horse trail that goes through the woods. I only got 15 to 20 yards in the woods when buck snorted so loud I almost yelled audibly. After calming down I walked the rest of the way to my tree stand. Trying to tie my bow to my lift line I hit the arrows against the climbing stick making way to loud a sound. Then I climbed to my stand and started to pull my bow up. The bow got caught on some limbs and made a lot of noise before I finally got my bow up to my stand. I attached myself to the tree and put on some warmer clothes.
I sat for about 30 minutes, in the 40 degree weather with a light wind coming from the East Southeast. Then I remembered the small set of rattling antlers that I had decided to bring with me. At least I remembered them. So I did a light, fairly tame, rattling sequence. I slowly watched every opening I had. After about 15 minutes I decided that nothing had come to my call. Almost all the leaves are still on the trees in Western Michigan so the deer can walk almost silently. I sat down just a little too quickly and the buck I had called in took three jumps and just stood there with his tail up in the air. I never got a look at his head except to see the glint of antler.
Not ten minutes later my cell phone went off filling the woods with the sound of Lynyrd Skynrd's "Sweet Home Alabama". I had forgotten to turn off my cell phone. It was the delivery man telling me he would be at my home in 15 minutes. They told me it would be delivered between 8 and Noon. So he calls right at 8. I look up and a squirrel is noisily scolding me for playing music in the woods. I have no choice I think so I lower my bow, remove the warm clothing, and get down from my tree and hurry toward my truck.
Just as I get within sight of my truck my wife calls and tells me that she has the cover in the garage and I don't have to come home. Arghhhhhhhh! I couldn't believe what just happened. I didn't even bother going back into the woods. My next trip to the woods has to go better than this.
I hope you got a laugh.
Hunter Rick from Michigan

buckhunter21

RE: Morning Hunt October 10

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:52 pm

Man, you sure tell a good story...I'm still laughing over here!  The best part is the 'Sweet Home Alabama' part.  I think we've all been there...Funny stuff!  Better luck next time!

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:59 pm

you know ya got no tags/license  yet you still go hunting..?how ya gonna tag it?explain it to the warden?I dont know bout you you but the night before i go hunting its like ..well."he's making his list he's checking it twice...[:D]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:20 am

ORIGINAL: JOEL

you know ya got no tags/license  yet you still go hunting..?how ya gonna tag it?explain it to the warden?I dont know bout you you but the night before i go hunting its like ..well."he's making his list he's checking it twice...[:D]

I hear ya Joel but in Rick's defense, that happened to me once but it was because of changing packs and missing the tags.

The NY regs state that the deer must be tagged when "found dead" As soon as a peek around the corner of the trail showed me I was gonna "find it dead" I immediately scampered for the truck. Nothing beats your (and my) system of checking the night before though.

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:22 am

ORIGINAL: Squirrelhawker

I hear ya Joel but in Rick's defense, that happened to me once but it was because of changing packs and missing the tags.

The NY regs state that the deer must be tagged when "found dead" As soon as a peek around the corner of the trail showed me I was gonna "find it dead" I immediately scampered for the truck. Nothing beats your (and my) system of checking the night before though.

Oops! Just reread my post and that was incorrect. The tag must be filled out as soon as the animal is found dead. It doesn't have to be tagged until at a point where transportable by vehicle

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:42 am

Great first post rickychunts.
Welcome to the Forum!

[:D]
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

deerhunter713

Postby deerhunter713 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:52 am

That was good for a laugh!

Opening day of gun season 5 years ago I kept thinking I was forgetting something during my 45 minute drive to the farm (you know that feeling), 30 minutes into the drive I realized I had forgotten my gun by the front door of the apartment.  Fortunately there were no police out that morning and I made it back to the apartment and out to the farm before it got light.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:30 am

Hahahha, I think we've all had a hunt or two like this..Makes for a good laugh later
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:06 am

Oops! Just reread my post and that was incorrect. The tag must be filled out as soon as the animal is found dead. It doesn't have to be tagged until at a point where transportable by vehicle

But, the license must be with you while afield, or you`re poaching.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:44 pm

Sounds like You had ones of those days Ricky...! [;)]

Been there done that....some times a rough start makes for a great finish of Hunting,hang in there and keep trying! [:D]

Next

Return to General Discussions