Earn-A-Buck In Illinois?

Deebz

Re: Earn-A-Buck In Illinois?

Postby Deebz » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:58 pm

Thanks Woods!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:22 pm

Just saw this. Thanks Woods. Sending out HAMMER alert to all I know....

Earn -a- buck. This legislation requires that a hunter take two anterless deer prior to being issued a permit to harvest an antlered deer.
Hunters, especially young hunters (the future of the hunting heritage), and those who only wish to harvest less than 2 deer a year would never have the opportunity to harvest a buck.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillSta ... 97#actions

This legislation has been refered to the Agriculture and Conservation commitee. Here are the members of that committee and their email contacts. Please contact each one of them and ask them to oppose SB 3316.

Michael W. Frerichs http://www.mikefrerichs.com/index.php/contact-us

John M. Sullivan sullivan@senatedem.state.il.us

Linda Holmes senatorholmes42@sbcglobal.net

Toi W. Hutchinson hutchinson@senatedem.state.il.us

David Koehler http://www.senatordavekoehler.com/index.php/contact-us

Martin A. Sandoval msandoval@senatedem.ila.gov

Wm. Sam McCann http://mccannforsenate.com/contact/

John O. Jones johnojones@sbcglobal.net

Kyle McCarter mccarter51@att.net

Sue Rezin suerezin@gmail.com
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:19 am

I suppose I shouldn't be shocked, but I got message undelivered notifications from the three State email system address above. Here are alternative contacts for those Senators.

http://www.toihutchinson.com/contact-toi/

http://www.senatormartinsandoval.com/in ... contact-us

http://www.senatorjohnsullivan.com/index.php/contact-us

I hope everyone is writing them. Even if all you do is write "Please oppose SB3316"

Here's my letter...

Senator ________,

I’m writing to you in opposition to SB 3316, commonly known as the “Earn-A-Buck” program, that has been referred to the Agriculture and Conservation committee in which you sit. This proposed legislation would require deer hunters to take two antlerless deer prior to being eligible for an antlered deer permit.

I am a hunter, whose family has a long hunting tradition, not unlike many hunters across the State of Illinois. In so, I have taken great pride and responsibility in teaching my children the traditions of hunting, and we have chosen a way of life in which we feed our family in great part by the taking of game. We haven’t purchased beef in almost ten years, and eat venison as our sole means of red meat.

My son harvested his first deer at age 8 and my daughter at age 11. They are very proud to be a part of supplying our family with nourishment, and they have learned the responsibilities and discipline that go along with hunting, the use of firearms, and being self sufficient. And while our family mostly harvests does, there is always the anticipated reward of shooting a buck that comes with deer hunting.

Unfortunately, at ages 14 and 12, today’s world does not provide us for the time and means for my children to harvest 3 deer in a year. Therefore, the “Earn-a-buck” program would effectively prevent them the opportunity to take a buck as their reward for their participation in hunting, providing for our family, and being good stewards of conservation.

Likewise, I’m sure there are hundreds of hunters across the state of Illinois that never take three deer in a season. This legislation prevents them from experiencing the rewards of harvesting the great whitetail buck as well. I can only imagine eliminating such a reward will have negative effects on the amount of hunters that chose to participate, and I fear the declining hunting community cannot sustain these kinds of obstacles.

Illinois already has a two a year limit on antlered deer. During archery season, Illinois has unlimited antlerless tags available over the counter. If doe to buck ratios and herd populations is the conservational desired affect behind this proposed legislation, I suggest that the same thing can be accomplished by simply making unlimited antlerless tags available during the firearms seasons as well.

Again, I ask you to oppose SB 3316, and I look forward to hearing your response.

Respectfully,

Vincent Fox
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Thu May 03, 2012 10:39 am

Got this email reply from Sen Frerichs:

Thank you for contacting my office about this important issue. SB3316 was reviewed in the Agriculture Committee and then re-referred to the Committee on Assigments in March. Since no further action has been taken, the bill will most likely not be moving any further during this legislative session. If you would like additional information on this bill click here.
Thanks again and please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns.
Sincerely,

Senator Michael Frerichs
52nd District – Illinois

this is the url for the more info click here link:

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/billsta ... ssionID=84
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Thu May 03, 2012 1:27 pm

Deebz wrote:any idea who is on the Ag committee, or if they are looking for opinions from residents on the issue?

All I can say is that for the last 2 years, I have been seeing just as many if not more bucks than does in the area I hunt. I've read about EAB programs, and it can be beneficial in areas with highly skewed buck/doe ratios or severe overpopulation. If there are areas that need it (I think Starved Rock State Park ground is EAB, for example) then it's not a bad idea. What would be a bad idea would be to apply these rules to the entire state. That's like cutting off your hand for a hangnail...

Deebz-Im not after ya.. ;) ..but Starved Rock is NOT eab....Eab you must take a doe than you can take a buck.....At Starved Rock the entire month of October is ''doe only''...although this may seem similar to EAB it is not because if i take a doe on Oct. 7 i cannot than take a buck afterwards...i have to wait until Nov. to kill a buck in that park....peace buddy- :mrgreen:

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Thu May 03, 2012 1:32 pm

right on.. thanks for the heads up.

question: do you have to kill a doe at some point before you can kill a buck, even after the doe-only session?

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Fri May 04, 2012 9:58 am

Deebz wrote:right on.. thanks for the heads up.

question: do you have to kill a doe at some point before you can kill a buck, even after the doe-only session?

No you do not..once Nov. comes around you can kill a buck first time out...

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Fri May 04, 2012 10:06 am

Awesome.. I'll have to give my Dad and bros a heads up on that. I don't get back to hunt that area too much anymore, but I'm pretty sure they were under the impression that it's always EAB.

Do you hunt Starved Rock much?

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Mon May 07, 2012 3:00 pm

Deebz wrote:Awesome.. I'll have to give my Dad and bros a heads up on that. I don't get back to hunt that area too much anymore, but I'm pretty sure they were under the impression that it's always EAB.

Do you hunt Starved Rock much?

Deebz-i just took advantage of hunting Mathession park last yr....only got out 3 times ...the first time i had 15 deer come thru with 2 nice bucks ...the other 2 hunts i saw a a spike and a doe ..i let them walk and was looking for a large buck....

I will have to double check on the Eab .because the section i hunt is a branch of Starved Rock State Park ...they could have seperate rules....i will try to get the correct info posted if i am wrong ....Mathession is doe only October for sure..with Buck hunting allowed in Nov. and so forth.....

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon May 07, 2012 6:08 pm

Right on. My brother does a few trail rides with his horses through Matthiessen. He claims he's seen BIG deer there. I think we hunted a small out of the way spot there once. Got in and saw some really good sign, sat all day and didn't see a single deer. We went in late morning though. I'm thinking the deer were moving through either early morning or overnight.

PreviousNext

Return to Illinois