Cull Bucks

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
Goose

Cull Bucks

Postby Goose » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:43 am

I see it on tv all the time and have even heard more and more people saying it around here. Management or cull bucks. I dont buy into it because of the whole free ranging part. Theve also done research on it on the King ranch in Texas. They managed two different herds, one they culled bucks out of and the other they didnt. The one they didnt cull on actually turned out better than the one they culled on. They said that it is next to impossible to affect the gene pool without high fences. Whats your take?
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

JPH

RE: Cull Bucks

Postby JPH » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:44 am

I'm with you. I think the concept of "cull" bucks is BS, at least from a QDM standpoint. Antler measurements are an indirect indication of genetic health at best.

I think that often when we hear hunters talk about taking "cull" or "management" bucks, it is just a smoke screen. They do not have the guts to admit that this is the deer they want. It is almost like an apology or an excuse for taking a deer that does not "make book".

AfterShock95

Postby AfterShock95 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:52 pm

well to me what makes it a cull buck? Its not bad meat. Its a rack thats not were they think it should be I myself think its just BS. Thats it. I would like to get a record buck but I'm not going to pay to go to a game farm. And have a guide tell me were to sit and the deer will come through about 8:30 am what fun is that I like to find a place hang a stand and sit and wait its more fun that way me myself I have never seen a cull buck

NYarcher

Postby NYarcher » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:11 pm

To cull bucks is kinda BS. I've been bowhunting for 22 yrs in new york without the money or time to go to one of these "ranches" where everything is managed. It would be next to impossibe to cull out these so called "bad genes" among the herd to begin with. here in the wild of NY, any deer regardless of sex is a trophy to some, and to me all deer taken are a great meal on the table and a cherished memory. The memory of a successful hunt is the true trophy. And if its not, then you need to take up a different sport or pastime.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:59 pm

Now guys If I'm correct...and many times not [;)]...cull bucks aren't
BS...they'er $$$$.....Don't these Ranches have TROPHY fees?....to get more of the" Joe Sixpacks"....Ha Ha Ha....hooked on visiting the ranch charging less for a "Management buck" while making them watch a parade of "trophys" walk by is a perfact way to get  ole "Joe" to save his pennies for a "Trophy" hunt....good business I'd suppose

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:07 am

ORIGINAL: msbadger

Now guys If I'm correct...and many times not [;)]...cull bucks aren't
BS...they'er $$$$.....Don't these Ranches have TROPHY fees?....to get more of the" Joe Sixpacks"....Ha Ha Ha....hooked on visiting the ranch charging less for a "Management buck" while making them watch a parade of "trophys" walk by is a perfact way to get  ole "Joe" to save his pennies for a "Trophy" hunt....good business I'd suppose

I think that you are correct. The true concept of culling small antlered bucks is a facet of TDM. But as our OP pointed out, the effectiveness of that is open for debate.

I think the question is more about hunters and landowners using the term in relation to free ranging deer and within the context of QDM rather than TDM.

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:49 am

Yeah, Im looking more at the average guy who says "it was a good one to get out of the herd". I dont buy into it. Like JPH said its more of an excuse in my opinion. Shooting all the 8pts you see isnt going to get you more 10pts. It just doesnt work that way with free ranging deer. Even under extreme management it was proven not to work. Like MSB wrote its just another way for the people to make more money and in my opinion it makes other people buy into it as a management practice.
Just my 2 cents
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:31 am

Yep! And again, I say shoot what you will be happy with and be happy with what you shoot.

djohns13

Postby djohns13 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:34 am

Like you guys, I don't like it either.  There is only one kind of cull buck for me, and that is one that is so injured or sick that I think it won't survive and is suffering needlessly.

My biggest problem with the whole cull buck BS is that it can convince others that deer that don't make book are not trophies.  In my mind, nothing could be further from the truth.

Good shooting.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

AfterShock95

Postby AfterShock95 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:04 pm

to me all deers are trophies just to have a chance at such a great animal and it is always a great story to tell how you got the deer and its always meat in the frezer

Next

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management