Deer Activity?

whitacl

Deer Activity?

Postby whitacl » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:55 am

What kind of doe and buck behaviors are we seeing in the woods.  This weekend was extremly warm and surpressed most of their movement and activity. 

I have found a few small scrapes that seem to only be active when the temps drop below normal.  I wittnessed a big 10pt shreading a small tree from about 40 yards, last wed evening when that cold front moved through and we got that light rain all day. 

I am really looking forward to this cold front heading our way later this week and plan to spend full days on stand this weekend.

Anybody have any luck with decoys, rattling, calling, ect?  If so please share.

Good luck, and shoot straight.
Ohio BBH

AfterShock95

RE: Deer Activity?

Postby AfterShock95 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:56 pm

well I have not tried to call or rattle this season I did go buy a decoy friday night . I went out tonight a put up another stand and there was a small pine tree the has been shreaded and the scrapes I have seen are very small no size to them at all Can't wait for the cold front to come back

outdoorsfellar

Postby outdoorsfellar » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:17 am

This extended heat in Ohio is just driving us crazy ! My trail cams are showing movement during the night which is no surprise. I've only been out one day so far this season. In a few days, I'm going to deer camp down at Wildcat Hollow. After a week there, things will be changing in time for my arrival home & that's including the bucks's testoserone level !

cbhunter

Postby cbhunter » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:25 pm

I went out this mourning,didn't see anything, but a nice fat coon. So far I've been out 3 times and haven't seen a deer. I really hope its because of the heat. I've seen a couple small rubs, but haven't seen any scrapes.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:41 pm

ORIGINAL: outdoorsfellar

This extended heat in Ohio is just driving us crazy ! My trail cams are showing movement during the night which is no surprise. I've only been out one day so far this season. In a few days, I'm going to deer camp down at Wildcat Hollow. After a week there, things will be changing in time for my arrival home & that's including the bucks's testoserone level !

Where you headed at wildcat hollow, I worked at wolf creek wildlife area for a while.  I never hunted during the early muzzleloader season, we had to check in all the deer there at the office.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:50 pm

ORIGINAL: cbhunter

I went out this mourning,didn't see anything, but a nice fat coon. So far I've been out 3 times and haven't seen a deer. I really hope its because of the heat. I've seen a couple small rubs, but haven't seen any scrapes.

Coones are everywhere, on one of the properties I hunt.  Had one trying to get in my stand with me last week.  Setting in my stand waitin on day light I hear something coming through the leaves, sounds like it's headed right for me, I strain to see it, can't really tell what it is.  By now it's scratching at the bottom of my tree.  I pull out my light to see a big old coon about 5 feet below me still coming up.  What do yo do?  He's coming up, I would have to pass him half way to get down.  I'm strapped to the tree and I know my stand isn't big enough for the two of us.  So I pull an arrow out of my quiver and wait for him to get within reach and give a couple good cracks on the noggin.  He left only to climb the tree directly behind me.

Back on subject only seeing a few does late in evening, cold front moving in, in a day or so.  Hopefully that will get'em movin more. 
Brad

outdoorsfellar

Postby outdoorsfellar » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:19 pm

ORIGINAL: OHhunter

Where you headed at wildcat hollow, I worked at wolf creek wildlife area for a while.  I never hunted during the early muzzleloader season, we had to check in all the deer there at the office.

Just out east of Corning. This may sound odd, but our " deer camp " has no hunting involved. We're there for a week of nothing but camping, eating, drinking & of course.... loosing money. We do our hunting when we get back home. It's just a yearly get away.... besides, the deer there aren't as big as up where we live.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:47 am

ORIGINAL: OHhunter

Just out east of Corning. This may sound odd, but our " deer camp " has no hunting involved. We're there for a week of nothing but camping, eating, drinking & of course.... loosing money. We do our hunting when we get back home. It's just a yearly get away.... besides, the deer there aren't as big as up where we live.

I know of a few camps down there that do much the same, more of vacation than a hunting trip.  I can't remember what it was, but one camp would go to extremes to embarrass anyone in they're camp that actually killed a deer.
Brad

whitacl

Postby whitacl » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:39 pm

Good info guys.  Hope to see some good activity with this cold front moving in tomorrow.  Should be a great weekend.

May try a decoy set up, see what kinda movement I see Sat.
Ohio BBH

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:44 pm

I was out this morning saw quite a bit of movement, around 9 o'clock till about 10, going out in the morning.  I got a good feeling with this front moving in.
Brad

Return to Ohio