rage 3s

PrairieShadow

RE: rage 3s

Postby PrairieShadow » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:21 am

ORIGINAL: schlupis

Prairieshadow, I would just stick to the rage 2 blades there have been no probs that I know of but have heard probs with the 3 blade. 2 blade cuts a bigger hole anyways..

I would rather shoot a field tip at a deer than a muzzy

the 2 blades are illegal in SD as you can not use a mech broadhead with a cutting diameter greater than 1 7/8"  hence the reason i went with the 3's.

Whats your reason for hating muzzy's? They are a pretty tried and true broadhead in my book.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

Panman1949

Postby Panman1949 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:15 pm

OK, I just talked to a man I trust.  He said that he will not shoot down on a deer, (as I did), because of failure of the arrow to penetrate.  This was my first attempt at this type of shot with a bow.  I know that the bow is capable of pass thru shots, as is the shaft, and most likely the broadhead, on a broadside shot. So, do any of you have anything to add to this?  I have very thick skin, so if you have something to say, let me have it.  Good, bad?  I will take it all if I can learn from it.  Let the feast begin.  I say the shot should have gone through.  Instead, I got 2 arrows that went less than half way through.  Thanks for your support, criticisms.  Panman
Be Aware, Bikes are Everywhere!!

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:52 pm

prairieshadow I didnt know they were illegal but to me I think that your state needs to rethink its broadhead law. Why would they want to outlaw something that puts game down quick and clean, sound dumb to me nothing against you just that law..

I have never been a fan of muzzy's when I shot fixed blades always used Thunderheads. I had too many buddies give me crap and preach how good their muzzy broadheads were and then when deer was shot always, always marginal blood trails and sometimes deer that were never found.. I know some of that has to be shooter error but the guys I shoot with are very good shots so I put some of the blame on the head..

I have hit deer in the guts with my old Thunderheads and always found them the hole was always big enough. I had a friend who shot muzzy shot a nice buck one night called me to track it when I got there I began joking with him at his house saying you shot it with that Muzzy garbage we probably wont find the deer. He said he hit the deer back a little but had some blood on the ground. Long story shot we never found the deer, blood trail stopped and we covered the woods, never found the deer.. I have hated Muzzy's ever since..

Now before you Muzzy fans start jumping all over me those are my reasons for not liking Muzzy broadheads and you might have similar stories about another broadhead you can save your fingers the typing I am not going to change my mind on them besides I shoot expandables now, and so have my buddies who used to shoot Muzzy's.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:03 pm

Panman that shot was not the greatest like you know not talking down on you but there is a lot of things the arrow has to passthrough coming from top to bottom like muscles and rib bones from top to bottom plus the thick chest bone which you might have hit. Also dont take it out on the broadhead so much I think too much is put on a complete pass through yes that is great for blood trail but if you think about it if half your arrow went into the deer it did all the damage it needed to do.

I killed a buck last year not a complet pass through and that deer died less than 30 yards from where I hit him, ( I used the rage 2 blade). So in my opinion if the arrow hit in the vitals but did not pass through stopped by the opposite shoulder all the damage that needed to be done is done..

I have shot deer with fixed blades that never passed through so sometimes it just happens. Live and learn bud and congrats on the deer.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:43 am

prairieshadow I didnt know they were illegal but to me I think that your state needs to rethink its broadhead law. Why would they want to outlaw something that puts game down quick and clean, sound dumb to me nothing against you just that law..

I have never been a fan of muzzy's when I shot fixed blades always used Thunderheads. I had too many buddies give me crap and preach how good their muzzy broadheads were and then when deer was shot always, always marginal blood trails and sometimes deer that were never found.. I know some of that has to be shooter error but the guys I shoot with are very good shots so I put some of the blame on the head..

I have hit deer in the guts with my old Thunderheads and always found them the hole was always big enough. I had a friend who shot muzzy shot a nice buck one night called me to track it when I got there I began joking with him at his house saying you shot it with that Muzzy garbage we probably wont find the deer. He said he hit the deer back a little but had some blood on the ground. Long story shot we never found the deer, blood trail stopped and we covered the woods, never found the deer.. I have hated Muzzy's ever since..

Now before you Muzzy fans start jumping all over me those are my reasons for not liking Muzzy broadheads and you might have similar stories about another broadhead you can save your fingers the typing I am not going to change my mind on them besides I shoot expandables now, and so have my buddies who used to shoot Muzzy's.

I believe the state has this law because of over the top expandables. A 2 inch over the top is going to penetrate a lot less than a fixed blade with a 1 1/8" diameter. Plus if someone is trying to do this out of a 40lb bow.

I guess i believe the law wouldnt be so if they didnt have a reason for it. Stupid people get to make all the laws[8|][8|]

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:35 am

I have to agree... my thunderheads 100's always do the job well. Like you were saying, my buddies shoot the "bad to the bone" muzzy, but several deer they have shot were also never found. They go through several packages of broadheads a season, while I'm still using the same ones I had harvested several deer with already. I believe the "bone tip" turns the arrow direction after entry, which leads to excessive broadhead damage.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

Panman1949

Postby Panman1949 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:49 pm

Schlupis, thanks for the reply.  No offense taken, I asked for it.  After talking to many people about the shot and your post, I don't think I will take that shot again.  It worked out well, (recovery), and the deer never took one step, but a horrible death and hunt.  Glad it worked out for me, wish it had been cleaner.  I will post my progress with this broadhead if I take another shot.  Thank you for your advice and good luck. Panman
Be Aware, Bikes are Everywhere!!

So.IL_Slinger

Postby So.IL_Slinger » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:09 pm

Here's what the 2-blade did for my buddys doe last week at 20 yds. she went about 30 yards and wes a dead deer in about 10 secs. I'm trying the 3-blade myself but haven't been able to connect yet.

http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd291/settles8/?action=view&current=rage2blade_0001.flv

S.W.A.T. 33

Postby S.W.A.T. 33 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:47 pm

well this is a whitetail i shot last year with a 3blade rage did not pass trough but as u can see it did the job
SPECILIZED.WHITETAIL.ASSAULT.TEAM.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:20 am

SWAT Welcome!!

Looks like good performance from the 3. Although im not to sure about no pass thru. What bow/setup you running?

PreviousNext

Return to Broadheads