Your Ethics

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
gutpile

Your Ethics

Postby gutpile » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:22 pm

Allot of post I read use the word "ethics" in em. And I was wondering if anyones ethics ever change..

For example the I only shoot what I will eat guys. Well if you are hunting a land owners property that wanted you to kill coyotes, bobcats, or any other critters, not normal table fare. would you do it, or would you tell the Landowner you dont shoot anything you wont eat? I would bet you would change your ethics to appease the land owner.  This is just one example. Just wondering what you would all do..
Wheat is harvested, Animals are killed...

shaman

RE: Your Ethics

Postby shaman » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:35 pm

Oh, sure.  My ethics have changed greatly over the years.  It took a long time before I took a doe, even though it meant passing on good shots nearly every time I went out and eating tag soup for several years. I'd gotten it in my head that only bucks were ethical kills, even though the state said otherwise. Nowadays I have no qualms about taking a doe or encouraging my kids to take them.

I think we walk into this sport initially with a lot of wrong-headed thinking.  When I did, a good part of what was filling my head had come from magazines.  Nowadays a newbie would get the same or more from outdoor television shows. The ethics that come from both seem to center around
[ul][*]Consumerism[*]Ego enhancement
[*]The attainment of trophies[*]Shooting vs. hunting[/ul]. . . and a lot of that stuff only gets in your way once you are in the woods.  It also empties your wallet rather quickly.  Time in the woods does a lot to get that out of your system. So does age.  At 25, I thought nothing of traipsing into the woods with 80 lbs of gear and leaving an hour earlier so I would have time to set it all up.  By  45, I was crawling into my stand with a rifle and my coat wondering how I could lighten the load even more.  At 25, all I could think about was having time to myself. At 50, all I can think about is time with my sons. 

The other thing that will really change your head regarding ethics is getting on the other side of the hunter/landowner relationship.  When I started out, I really could not understand why landowners were so anal about everything. Now, when I find an empty shotgun hull on my place that I can't account for, I know I'm being poached.  Now I'm the one on the topo map figuring angles and elevations and deciding who hunts where so no one gets shot. It all makes sense.

Lastly, when I started out, all I had was solitude. There were not that many deer. There were hardly any bowhunters.  Going hunting meant being alone in the woods.  I was not into that. I was into action. Being alone and quiet chafed at me. I felt I was wasting my time. Now, 26 years later, my herd is large, there are ample shooting opportunities.  I find myself going out in the latter part of the season and deliberately trying to find an empty piece of woods to hunt. The freezer is full and the last thing I really want to do is see another damn deer. What I'm really trying to do is finish reading the Farmers Almanac that I had to put down on the stand back in October, but I can't bring myself to do it without a rifle in my hand.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:43 am

I would shoot the predator every chance I get. Ill be doing the deer,pheasant,grouse, and ducks a favor and Ill get the hide tanned for the wall.

Might be a little off base but I believe every hunter goes through stages, Ive seen it printed before and agree with them.

1. Kill as many as you can.
2. Get the biggest.
3. Conserve and manage.
4. Enjoy nature and the time spent with it.

Where do I put myself? I put myself as a little of 2,3,and 4. Not a good answer but honest.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:19 am

ORIGINAL: Goose

2. Get the biggest.
3. Conserve and manage.

Where do I put myself? I put myself as a little of 2,3,and 4. Not a good answer but honest.

I'm with you.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:34 am

ORIGINAL: Goose

I would shoot the predator every chance I get. Ill be doing the deer,pheasant,grouse, and ducks a favor and Ill get the hide tanned for the wall.

Might be a little off base but I believe every hunter goes through stages, Ive seen it printed before and agree with them.

2. Get the biggest.
3. Conserve and manage.

I've seen this expressed as (in regards to importance):

1. Most

2. Biggest

3. Method

4. Just being there

It's also true that many of us are a mix of these things. I'm a combination of 3 and 4 now.

And yes, your ethics do evolve as you do as a hunter if you do it enough. And sometimes ethics are situational, such as the killing of predators that you won't eat for example which was stated.

Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:43 am

If we are truly speaking of ethics, then most likely they won't change based upon the given situation. 

Ethics go much deeper than described here.  For example, what you would be practicing should you choose to shoot the predators would be situational ethics - so in effect your ethics haven't changed at all.  If you choose to not shoot the predators then you may be practicing viture ethics.  In either case your ethics don't change, what changes is the opportunity to display your ethical values.

I do believe ethics may change over time based upon experience - but they don't change based upon a given situation.  Values maybe, but not ethics. 

Sorry, had to take an ethics class a few years back - I guess that stuff stays with you.

Anyway, I'd shoot the predators, but I really can't say how I'd answer the question if I was someone who only shoots what I can eat.  I have some pretty strong ethics, and they are not situational in nature, so in that instance I most likely wouldn't shoot the predators if my ethics dictated I should not.

“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:55 am

I'd say I'm also in that boat, but going through a stage where I'm becoming more of a 4 than anything. I still set my goals to take a big mature buck in the fall and a fat old long beard in the spring, but none off that compares to just getting out and enjoying it all.  Teaching my daughters to appreciate the outdoors and to enjoy it the right way is far more rewarding than putting deer heads on the wall.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:24 am

Hoo boy. Could be several different threads here. I guess I'm one of those eat what you hunt guys. But not for the common reasons you hear.

I wear many hats and most have to do with wildlife in one way or another and so it has become reflected in my attitude(s) regarding nature, hunting,etc.

As a wildlife rehabber, naturalist and former nuisance wildlife control person I know, for a fact, that shooring coyotes indiscriminately doesn't work. Ever. 100 years of failed federal control efforts and the sheer biology of the animals bears this out.  While some of you are diving for your keyboards, lemme 'splain.

Coyotes are driven by intense social interactions. they decide for themselves who breeds and where. Shoot an apha female, and all other subordinate females get the green light to breed. More coyotes.
It is not the coyote you see that is usally the problem, it is the one you don't. Rats! staff meeting. back in a while

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:31 am

I've been hunting about 5 years and nothing Ethics wise has really changed for me.  I hunt to put food on the table.  I've read many a magazines on the subject of Deer Hunting and have read about ever subject from trophy hunting to taking the first nice doe you see.  In my mind if it's a shootable doe I'll take her to put food on the table and then spend the rest of the time trying to shoot a good buck.  I do wait the first time I see a shootable doe because you never know when a buck is right behind her.  I have a small family so two deer a year is perfect, fills the freezer just long enough to get us into the next season.  I can say my goal every year is to shoot a bigger buck than they year before, that doesn't always happen! 

As far as shooting predators I leave that up to the land owner's decision.  If he says shoot the predators I am more than happy too, there's no laws against it and I will support anything that helps the deer population where I hunt. 

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:15 am

Personally I'm not a predator hunter, but the endeavor itself has always fascinated me. I think if someone wants to hunt predators or any  legal game for that matter God bless, but do it for the right reasons. Trying to control 4 footed predators by removing them will not work. If I had a nickel for every deer hunter I talked too who thought they were helping the deer by tipping over every coyote, or protecting pheasants by shooting hawks I would be typing this from a much more exotic locale.

There are rare occasions where a particular animal is causing a particular kind of trouble or damage. A controlled, surgical, removal of a target animal can aid in the solution process but it is never the norm.

Declaring war on a species because it happens to have binocular vision and hunts for a living, is not only non-productive, it's kinda dumb.

Next

Return to General Discussions