Mating season -- odd question

Tracks, Rubs, Scrapes, Trails, Etc.
MarcusW

Mating season -- odd question

Postby MarcusW » Thu May 10, 2012 10:10 pm

This is kind of an odd question but I figure this is the perfect place to ask it.
I'm not a hunter, but I want to make sure a friend isn't just pulling my leg.
He said if I was ever lost in the woods, I could tell north/south and east/west by noticing which way the bucks and does were heading during breeding season. I can't remember whether it was does or bucks that headed north-south or east-west (so this info would do me no good whatsoever even if true). He said that they did this so they'd run into each other. Now I'm a city boy so I need to know if he is pulling my leg. Is this based on any truth whatsoever? He has been known to stretch the truth.
Thanks.

kellory

Re: Mating season -- odd question

Postby kellory » Fri May 11, 2012 5:12 am

MarcusW wrote:This is kind of an odd question but I figure this is the perfect place to ask it.
I'm not a hunter, but I want to make sure a friend isn't just pulling my leg.
He said if I was ever lost in the woods, I could tell north/south and east/west by noticing which way the bucks and does were heading during breeding season. I can't remember whether it was does or bucks that headed north-south or east-west (so this info would do me no good whatsoever even if true). He said that they did this so they'd run into each other. Now I'm a city boy so I need to know if he is pulling my leg. Is this based on any truth whatsoever? He has been known to stretch the truth.
Thanks.

Welcome to the forum! And a very interesting first post! Your friend has bent the truth into a mobious strip. of purest claptrap. Has your friend ever sent you for a bucket of pop wash, portable sky hooks, or perhaps a lumber stretcher? There is NO truth to his statement. If there was, it would make hunting much easier than it really is. We would just have to ambush deer along one axis alone. Deer can come from any direction, and leave by any other direction. He will often travel up wind to be able to smell danger, or a hot doe, There are MANY things that can effect his or her movements.

If lost during daylight, there are things you CAN do to find your way. A simple way is to find open ground (for sunlight) take a stick and push it into the ground directly at the sun so it shows no shadow, wait a short while. as the sun travels west, the shadow will point East. from there you will know N,S,E&W.

And stick around. Even if you do not hunt, your opinion will have value here, And perhaps you will get bitten by the hunting bug yourself. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Return to All About Deer Sign