Flash lights

VAHunter

RE: Flash Lights

Postby VAHunter » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:06 am

Around 5 years ago I was given a small handheld flaslight as a gift that required no batteries.  Although it is not quite as bright as other flashlights, I find it perfect for hunting.  For all of us that have had batteries go bad far from home in the middle of the night, knows how important this feature can be.  There are no markings on the flashlight, so I cannot name the maker or model number.  I shake it for 30 seconds or so, and it usually lasts for a 3 mile walk.  Pretty cool...even if you use it as a backup.

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:53 am

ORIGINAL: VAHunter

Around 5 years ago I was given a small handheld flaslight as a gift that required no batteries.  Although it is not quite as bright as other flashlights, I find it perfect for hunting.  For all of us that have had batteries go bad far from home in the middle of the night, knows how important this feature can be.  There are no markings on the flashlight, so I cannot name the maker or model number.  I shake it for 30 seconds or so, and it usually lasts for a 3 mile walk.  Pretty cool...even if you use it as a backup.

We have a couple of those around the house. They work. I don't know if they would be bright enough out in the woods for my aging eyeballs though. Not a bad idea for a back-up if you wanted something you could pack away and forget about.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:09 am

ORIGINAL: Squirrelhawker

I went to a small SureFire last year. Unbelievable amount of illumination for its size. The Lithium batteries it takes are a little pricey but this little mini-mag size light completely lights up the side of my neighbors huge barn 120 yards away. I like the adjustable on-off or continous on feature too. I dropped it in a creek the other night. It couldn't have cared less.

Surefire also has a lifetime guarantee, if the flashlight is damaged in any way, even through your own fault, they`ll replace it free. Loss is the only way it`s not covered.

The illumination is absolutely incredible as you said.

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:34 am

I'm going to go old school on y'all.  First off, RayoVac has a little 2 AA cell flashlight for under $5 that we all use for getting to and from our stands. I gave up on headlights years ago, because I like to hold a flashlight  close to the ground and throw as little extraneous light as possible. Three of us go through a $10 pack of Duracell a year between deer and turkey seasons.

Now for the old school part:  Coleman lanterns.  When we need to track at night, we pull out the old gasoline lanterns.  I just haven't found anything that beats them:
[ul][*] You get illumination all around you, not just where you're pointing.[*]The light makes blood stand out dramatically.[/ul]We seldom have to track. When you are shooting 30-06 and its ilk at deer at distances under 50 yards, there's not much to go wrong.  However, it helps having a good wide light for field dressing and dragging the deer out.  Usually we make it a 3-man operation:  two guys on the deer cart, and one guy holding the lantern and acting as pathfinder.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

MSHunter

Flash lights

Postby MSHunter » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:29 pm

Hi everyone,
One of my goals for this year's deer season will be getting in the woods and on the stand before sun rise. What type of flash light does everyone use, color of filter (red, green), hand held light or head lamp style. Your opinions and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

bmstaaf

RE: Flash lights

Postby bmstaaf » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:06 pm

Don't use one unless its unfamiliar property small led walmart for 5 dollars. Leds go a far way

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:36 pm

I have a headlamp that has white and red LEDs . If I really need it to see , I only use the RED . Even in the dark , there is usually enough light on the horizion to find my way without turning the light on .
Semper Fi !

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:54 pm

I use a handheld flashlight going to and from my stand in the dark rather than the headlamp type. I want to keep the light on the ground. With the headlamp type it's easy to natually look up which casts light out into the woods.  I feel unsafe without some sort of light in the dark. Never know who might be out there.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Deadhunter25

Postby Deadhunter25 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:32 pm

if you want to really set this goal id listen to what i do. first off i always am in the woods way before sunrise. matter of fact an hour before and you would be suprise to see how many deer you will hear while on stand that you would never know of.

i use a head light LED with three filters. white light, beam and red light. to my understanding deer arent too spooked of red as much as with white so i almost always use red.

the most important thing i do is buy relfective thumb tacks i put on the trees before hunting season to guide my way to my stand. the flashlight makes the tacks glow. best thing i ever did to make going to the stand as quiet as possible. hope this helps!

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:33 am

Those bright eye tacks are great. I don't leave home without them. Don't forget to put them on the trees leading you out of the woods too.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

PreviousNext

Return to Misc. Accessories