Your Ethics

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
AfterShock95

RE: Your Ethics

Postby AfterShock95 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:11 pm

I will not hunt anything I will not eat ! That it. I have came apon leg traps that have had Family pets in them. And the guys that are such great trapers have forgot all about setting.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:29 pm

ORIGINAL: AfterShock95

I will not hunt anything I will not eat ! That it. I have came apon leg traps that have had Family pets in them. And the guys that are such great trapers have forgot all about setting.

Have you ever trapped?  I doubt it, because if you had, you'd never make a statement like your last sentence. PLEASE don't strike out at another outdoorsman out of ignornace, you only make it easier for the antis to destroy us.

What if someone saw a deer that wandered around for a week or so with an arrow sticking out of it and made the same statement about all bow hunters?

And we ALL kill things that we don't eat. You swat mosquitos don't you? How about flies? Ever set a mouse trap or put out bait or glueboards for them? How about the shoes you are wearing? Did you ever shoot a deer and then give it to someone else or Hunters For The Hungry?

As a human being, you cannot exist ONE DAY on this earth without killing something that you don't eat.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:31 pm

I don't have a problem hunting preditors, or varmints, that I don't plan on eating.  I enjoy going out and trying to call in coyotes.  It's one of the more challenging things I've hunted.  I also spend the summers knocking off ground hogs, it's a great way to practice your shooting in an uncontrolled enviroment.  

Plus, most landowners see both as a nuisance and are more than willing to let you hunt them,  that sometimes leads to other hunting opertunities on their farms. 
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:38 pm

As a human being, you cannot exist ONE DAY on this earth without killing something that you don't eat.

Thats interesting, never looked at it that way! 
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

AfterShock95

Postby AfterShock95 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:48 pm

woods walker don't attack me for things I have seen. You right I'm not a trapper. And really don't care to be thats something that has never appealed to me and I have heard all about the deer running around with an arrow sticking out of its side. But I have yet to see a pic of one. I believe that if you are going to kill something do it quick don't let it suffer. Its like those sniper deer hunters you here about shoting does in the head only to blow there lower jaws off and find them when they are starved to death

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:01 pm

I have heard all about the deer running around with an arrow sticking out of its side. But I have yet to see a pic of one.

Here's one, got the picture off of the old D&DH forum.

Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

AfterShock95

Postby AfterShock95 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:08 pm

thank you for the pic

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:26 pm

woods walker don't attack me for things I have seen. You right I'm not a trapper. And really don't care to be thats something that has never appealed to me and I have heard all about the deer running around with an arrow sticking out of its side. But I have yet to see a pic of one. I believe that if you are going to kill something do it quick don't let it suffer. Its like those sniper deer hunters you here about shoting does in the head only to blow there lower jaws off and find them when they are starved to death

Then don't portray an entire outdoor activity based on the few things that you've seen.

A trapper that knows what he's doing DOES NOT want his target animal to remain in a trap indefinately, in fact, quite the opposite. Most people trap for PROFIT, and the way to get that is to have pelts that are as undamaged as possible. Animals that fight a trap and remain in one for long periods of time DO NOT yield a good pelt.

When trapping water type furbearers ('coons, muskrat, beaver, mink), any trapper that knows his stuff either uses killer type traps, or knows how to rig a drowning set. That's basic trapping 101 stuff.

When trapping land based animals, a good trapper DOES NOT hard stake a land set. That would give the trapped animal a firm anchor to pull from, and maybe pull out. In this case a drag grapple would be used so that the animal could not get a firm pull on the trap, but yet couldn't get that far from the trap site either.

And a good trapper also knows what sized trap to use for the animal he's seeking. It musts be strong enough to hold the animal, but NOT strong enough to break bone, as that would make it easier for the animal to pull out.

Finally most all states that permit trapping require licensed trappers to check their sets AT LEAST within 24 hours. Many check a lot sooner, because as I said, the longer the animal is in the trap, the more likely the damage can be to the pelt, not to mention having another predator coming by and eating the trapped animal.

No one says that it must appeal to you. Not at all. But don't go making blanket statements about what you don't know a whole lot about.

Are there unethical/uneducated people that set traps? Of course, just like there are deer hunters who take unethical shots. BTW, I HAVE seen deer with non-fatal arrows sticking out of them, and it makes me cringe at the bad press that it gives us. I've also seen ,and just last season had to finish off, deer that had the unfortunate experience of being shot at with a firearm by someone who thinks that taking going away shots at running deer is just fine and dandy. Trouble is, they are never around to see the shot off jaws, grazing shots along the abdomen that the intestines can start coming out of, and a whole bag of other gruesome unmentionables.

Does this make ALL deer hunters are like this? NO! And neither are ethical, law-abiding trappers.

Just like anything else, we have to educate people, and the ones who are just unethical morons we need to expell from our ranks.

Trappers as a group, are some of the most knowlegeable outdoorsman out there. Their range of skills include knowing about just about everything there is to know about their prey, because 90% of the time they don't even see it until it's in the trap. But they know it's there, WHY it's there, WHEN it's there, and even approximatley HOW MANY of a given animal is in the area they want to trap. They are probably the best at the ancient skill of "reading sign".

Scent control? If you want to know about scent control, talk to a good fox or coyote trapper. Same with tracking.

If you are finding untended traps, then report it to the local CPO. My bet is that those traps are set illegally, and if they are legal, in some states they must have a tag with the owners name and address on it.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:47 pm

Family Pets?

Sounds to me like it is the familys fault for not keeping their animal under control. Not the Trappers.

I have and love my 2 yellow labs to death and they are like my children so i know what it is like to have pets.

What really gets me is so called "pets" that are allowed to run free. Owners need to take responsibility for their animals including teaching them their boundaries. Once an "pet" is roaming free they are no longer a pet, they are a wild animal.

My labs wont leave the yard even if the gate gets left open. Same goes for the farmers dog where i hunt. If the farmer is out in his tractor his dog is right by the tractor at all times. No free roaming here even when given the chance.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:17 pm

First time I saw that picture too!  I see what your getting at about the "accidents" that happen, but understand good huntsmen and trappers, don't want to put the game any bad situations in the first place. However, if we could control every aspect of hunting, it wouldn't be as enjoyable, atleast for myself anyway.  Pets should not be blamed for the owners neglect, even so, some so called "hunters" will terminate them on sight. That is a sadistic haneous act, I would not condone, or allow it on my property. As for the original post, yes if the varmmits need population management, I would help the effort. I've done my fair share of vermin eradication around here.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions