Cull Bucks

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
jacannon63

RE: Cull Bucks

Postby jacannon63 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:40 am

When I hear someone say Cull Buck, most of time that tells me that they are trying to justify the killing of a buck with an inferior rack. just my 2 cents...

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:49 am

There is an interesting article with a different take on cull bucks in the recent D&DH land management issue.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:41 pm

Here's couple bucks that everyone who flipped through my trail cam pictures thought I needed to get out of the gene pool.  Just happens they were the same people who were shocked that I arrowed a 120 inch buck last year that in their words "would have been a good one in a few years"

Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:51 pm

Sounds like you need some new friends. Thats great you got your buck! Theres nothing wrong with the deer in those pics, there pretty cool looking in my opinion. Shoot what you want and thats all that matters.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:12 pm

ORIGINAL: Goose

Sounds like you need some new friends. Thats great you got your buck! Theres nothing wrong with the deer in those pics, there pretty cool looking in my opinion. Shoot what you want and thats all that matters.

They were just some locals, who think they know all there is to know about deer.  
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:24 pm

I dont believe in cull bucks bunch of hogwash if you ask me. Just another term brought on by the hunting industry. The hunter who shoots the deer always seems to say they or he is trying to manage the property for big bucks and this guy just wasnt cutting it, so I shot him, good one to take out of the herd.

I think that smaller deer got killed because their trip to the ranch or outfitter was coming to a end and they needed the footage for the show and none of the bigger deer on the property showed up (no kill no show).

HiddenHornsRanch

Postby HiddenHornsRanch » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:58 pm

Hey guys, being from Texas, the term cull bucks is thrown around a lot! My part is Im happy to take any deer that really gets my adrenaline going, whether its a 3 pt or a 12 pt, a deer is a deer and any deer taken is a trophy... but heres a article yall might find interesting, its by Kip Adams of QDMA
http://www.whitetailstewards.com/articlesonsite/deerpopulationmanage/whatarecullbucks.htm
KINGSVILLE A&M JAVELINA

cannycorn2000

Postby cannycorn2000 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:43 am

Shoot for meat not antlers, headgear is a bonus.
No Sacrifice, No Victory!

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:59 am

Question goose.  Were these bucks at this ranch that you speak of in two different fenced in areas?  There are a lot of factors that go into this whole thing.  Just trying to narrow down a few of them.

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:33 pm

This is taken from Kip Adams from QDMA and it is referring to the study I mentioned.

"Let's revisit the research projects. The results from Dr. Mickey Hellickson's recent culling study in South Texas are likely the most applicable to the average deer manager because of the intensity of the culling efforts and the size of the study area. Mickey and his colleagues intensively culled the smallest antlered bucks in all age classes for six straight years on 10,000 acres on the King Ranch in Texas. When the study was over, the average antler quality per age class was slightly SMALLER than when they started! While factors such as yearling buck dispersal off the study area could partially account for lack of impact, it clearly suggests that even intensive culling on this scale is unlikely to impact genetics.

So, should we be culling "inferior" bucks? If they are young bucks, the answer is "no" for most of the whitetail's range because they may have been born late or have been nutritionally deprived. If they are older bucks, the answer depends. If you have a surplus of bucks and you really dislike a certain buck regardless of age - then go ahead and cull him. However, don't expect it to make a big difference in what you see for antlers in the future. He's likely not siring a lot of fawns and of the ones he sires, the doe contributes half to their offspring's antler quality."

In my opinion it doesn't work and is not necessary. If you have a good ridge on your property thats perfect for hunting and you got an old 6 pt running all other bucks off of it I would suggest taking that deer out of there but not because your saving potential gene pools. 
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

PreviousNext

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management