Finding Time

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
hunter480

Finding Time

Postby hunter480 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:00 pm

When I initially saw the cover of the Land Management Issue of Deer And Deer Hunting, I was shocked and saddened. I`m not a QDM`er, nor do I have the land to "manage" for my own deer, and, so, I believed, this issue had absolutely nothing for me.

Then I read the "Finding Time" article by Joel Spring. It was perfect for me. What a great testimony to what we all struggle with, as husbands, fathers, grandfathers, employees and friends.

Well written, thought provoking, and a nugget, in an issue in which, I had thought, there was nothing for me.

JOEL

RE: Finding Time

Postby JOEL » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:41 pm

yep thought it was great too
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:23 pm

I also enjoyed the piece.  I felt the same wasy as you do, hunter 480.  I control no land beyond my back yard (for some reason, my wife wont let me convert it into a food plot), so I didnt think I'd get much out of this issue.  Surprise!  I'm passionate about football, but I didn't watch the monday night game last night because I had to get up early to get to my stand before light.  Hunting trumps football.  Time spent hunting is never time wasted.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:22 am

Yeah i felt the same way about it as well, i didn't think there would be anything for me in it since i really don't have my own land to manage, (i'm goin to talk to the guy and see if he cares if i put some work into it though.) So i didn't buy it, i really wanted to, i love reading about QDM, but i'll have to pick it up, i had to get some other stuff instead so i guess the next time i'll see i'll pick it up!

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:02 am

I agree that was a great article...Now as far as not having land or doing QDM.. Yes I agree it's tough to do..But Let's say you have some buddies who have land, after reading the article's Ive given several tips to friends who have land. They enjoy hearing what I have to say. They'll even let me hunt it with them. You never know when you could buy land so I always keep each issue and highlight the main notes on land and qdm. I would like to get more into QDM but it is hard with only hunting state land around home. I try to do QDM on land that we own, however I can only hunt it a few times a year due to travel.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:24 am

Ditto.  I felt the same way.  The entire issue simply did not hold my attention.  This is no slam against the mag however.  I'm sure other subscribers thought the whole issue was outstanding.  

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:30 pm

I loved the issue! Don't have much land to manage but its great stuff to learn and like deercamp said you never know. I too liked the article on sports and hunting. Thats exactly how I feel about it. i even showed it to a couple of guys at work who always pick on me for always reading about deer and not caring about sports. one of the better issues of the year IMO.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features