my stand still safe?

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
shadow

my stand still safe?

Postby shadow » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:30 am

I had bought this aluminum climbing stand new, around 1990. I never left it out in the rain, the wooden seat still seems safe as well as all the bolts etc.. no rust on them or anything.
I do not have the paperwork on it and the name of the manufacturer and anything else had peeled off or been painted over. (back then, I felt that if a deer looked up at me and saw the orange decal or whatever, and it wasn't camo'd it would had given me away, so I peeled and painted over everything to more or less blend in.)

I hadn't used this stand in many years but it seems ok still, would you feel safe using it??

I feel that this stand is much easier to use than the new summit I got this year.
I also do not know the weight rating, back then I was about 200 Lbs, but since then I added a bit more to my frame but working hard to get rid of it.

I do not want to get rid of this stand, anyone also know who may have made it??

ranwin33

RE: my stand still safe?

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:00 am

I cannot tell you who made the stand, nor can I tell from pictures if it would still be safe.

I will say this, statistics indicate 1 in 3 hunters will fall from a treestand - I don't plan to be 1 of them so I do everything possible to keep myself safe when I'm in a tree.  Using a stand that is 20 years old probably wouldn't be on my list of safe things to do.  Maybe I'm overly cautious, but I'd rather be that than injured or dead.

“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:13 pm

looks like an old baker stand.those things were death traps to begin with.if anything use it as a fixed/locked on stand with steps or ladder to reach it
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

jacannon63

Postby jacannon63 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:49 am

I don't think that is a baker. I still have mine and it has a plywood bottom.

shadow

Postby shadow » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:40 pm

I used this stand for many years, I would love to continue using it.
I almost want to say its made by loggy bayou, I think I'll send them off an email and picture.
Its somewhat uncomfortable to sit on with the padded wooden seat, but for me, much easier to climb with. And it "bites" into the tree much better than my new stand does.
At 20 years old its still in excellent condition I wouldn't see a problem using it. Its never been damaged, and bolts are solid.
(Some critical airliner equipment is older and worn more, yet is flown daily).
Plus the use of a safety vest with the stand,.. Why not trust it?

Do any of you still use your old stands???

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:43 pm

I believe it was made by warren sweat, the baker had a different seat and plywood.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:52 pm

Here's a later version of the warren sweat, they look very similiar. 

Brad

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:05 pm

That's a decision you gotta make for yourself.  I'd look it over very carefully before I used it, but if everything is OK and you are confident, then go for it.

shadow

Postby shadow » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:30 pm

OHhunter, they do look like the same type stand. Are you still using yours?

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:55 pm

ORIGINAL: shadow

OHhunter, they do look like the same type stand. Are you still using yours?

No, I haven't had mine since I bought my API grandslam several years ago, I was pretty sure I knew what yours was so I did google image search and that pictures what I came up with. 
Brad

Next

Return to Tree Stands