When they're way out there

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
dtrain56

RE: When they're way out there

Postby dtrain56 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:04 pm

Well, I don't know where to start on this one...i guess first of all i see alot of  so called professional hunters taking ridicolous shoots..

to day bill jordan "mr Buck Master took a total quartering to shoot on his show, i have seen several shoots at 50 yards or so one from The Come here deer crew..i Have seen ted Nugent "spokes person for all humanity"  hunt over bait in a high fence.on his show..same With Allen warren.... 

I think The Drury's are the only total hunting show to actually "Hunt" all the time and maybe the guys from Primos...

The only "hunters" with any kind of "Morals" or "ethics" are us normal joes who don't get to hunt 75 days a year...

I passed up a deer on opening day that was broadside 40yrds -and i practice out to 55yards....I can make that shot easy but in the back of my mind I could here my ole man telling me one shot one kill

and be 100% sure of a killing shot..not 50% not 80% be 100% sure...and with that attitude i have only not recovered 1 deer over the  20 years i have been bow hunting.

anything less is discusting 

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:23 pm

ORIGINAL: dtrain56

...The only "hunters" with any kind of "Morals" or "ethics" are us normal joes who don't get to hunt 75 days a year...

...i have only not recovered 1 deer over the  20 years i have been bow hunting...

...anything less is discusting 

Look, I think we all need to strive for excellence with our equipment and take high % shots, but a few of your above statements are a little over the top.

NYarcher

Postby NYarcher » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:10 am

I agree JPH. that is alittle over the top. I am a bowhunter of 22 years and have unfortunately lost a couple deer. there is that unknown element involved in hunting that takes away that guarantee. equipment failure, weather conditions, a deer jumping the string, predators etc. there are so many things that are variables and change the wanted outcome. None of this is disgusting. unfortunately it happens. Nobody should be taking unrealistic shots. And more importantly, why was this guy taking a neck shot? this is not a kill shot that anyone teaches or should even advertise. there are alot of beginner hunters that this kind of behavior will imprint upon being in the magazines they read. Not good. I practice up to 40 myself but all my stands are set up for 15-25 yard shots.
Venison - the other red meat

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:11 am

well, again i will say that i watched KING OF BUCKS this mourning and actually saw a neck shot taken with a bow ... that is discusting...

..My point is this ...things happen..arrow hits a twig...deer "jumps the string"...but at the moment of truth you should be 100% confident in your shot...sometimes things happen..but to just fling an arrow at a deer and hope for a good hit is awful and in my opinion discusting for our sport

doesn't always mean it has to be perfect but I don't see any respect of the animal in most of these "professinal" hunter shows.

over the top or not ...i hate what i see on T.V. representing our sport with out morals,ethics ,or what you should be teaching hunters who are beginning or other wise..

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:44 pm

dtrain: I have to say I agree with you. It's disgusting, AND sad that we have people like this representing us on national media.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:03 am

The charge is that dtrain56's statements, while ture to a point, go too far.
Exibit A:

The only "hunters" with any kind of "Morals" or "ethics" are us normal joes who don't get to hunt 75 days a year...

Are you certain this is actually what you meant to say?

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:45 am

dtrain, your opinions are your opinions, your throwing a blanket on the whole thing, Most bowhunters will do everything they can to make sure of their shot and try to take the best shot. Do people make mistakes? of course they do, do the pros or whatever you wanna call them make mistakes? of course they do. Nobody's perfect and anybody that takes a poor percentage shot is not a bowhunter in my opinion.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:58 am

Yeh  i am sure, I work nights so i get to see all those hunting shows during the week, there are not many so called pros who don't just launch an arrow to get a buck on film...they take poor percentage shots for T.V. 

not one or two guys but the majority...next week i will actually count the poor shots and compare that to the number of shows i watch....and let you know what i find

But i would say for the most part the average Joe who only gets to hunt a few days a month actually care more about taking a good shot that those "pros" on TV

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:31 am

Yeh  i am sure, I work nights so i get to see all those hunting shows during the week, there are not many so called pros who don't just launch an arrow to get a buck on film...they take poor percentage shots for T.V. 

not one or two guys but the majority...next week i will actually count the poor shots and compare that to the number of shows i watch....and let you know what i find

But i would say for the most part the average Joe who only gets to hunt a few days a month actually care more about taking a good shot that those "pros" on TV

If for no other reason than setting a good example, pros filmed on TV should only take high percentage shots.  Too many children today believe that what they see on TV is what they should also emulate.  If we want new hunters to exhibit standards with high values than TV shows should set an example. 

I would disagree however that the "average Joe" cares more about taking a good shot than the pros on TV.  I would say many "average Joes" will take the first shot they can get that they believe might put a deer down, just the same as TV personalities.  I've talked to too many of them to believe otherwise. 

“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:03 pm

From what I gather from other hunters I talk to and on here. that everybody but "yourself" takes bad shot's and is unethical. 
I would bet that some of these fellas on t.v. taking bad shot's write for magazines to.
 I have heard guys complain about another kill saying they would never have taken the shot, and allot of it is that the other person couldn't that's fine don't shoot past your capabilities, just don't think your capabilities are the only one's.
Wheat is harvested, Animals are killed...

PreviousNext

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features