rage 3s

S.W.A.T. 33

RE: rage 3s

Postby S.W.A.T. 33 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:00 pm

i shot a renagade its old but the arrow hit the opposite shoulder u could see the broadhead on the other side but did not break trough the skin
SPECILIZED.WHITETAIL.ASSAULT.TEAM.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:46 am

I can only offer that I had a similar experience to Viper, however with a less than desirable end result.  I shot an eight pointer, my first deer, last weekend using the Rage 3s'.  Shot placement was just forward of the hind quarters but centered, the buck moved as I released.  He ran at full stride for about 50 yrds, blowing past my stand, stopped for a second and then darted across a powerline cut and into the woods.  The arrow did not pass through as I saw it still in him when he ran past my stand.  No fur or blood at the point of impact and we found the blood trail about another 50 yrds into the woods.  It was a faint trail, a drop here and there every 10 yrds or so...nothing like what everyone else here has described.  We followed it another 100 yrds until it ended in some laurel and we lost the deer after that.  I have spent just about everyday since then trying to find him and still have come up empty and at a loss for what occured.  My best guess is the rages did not fully deploy (if thats possible) or there was some other malfunction...for the life of me I can't figure out why the blood trail was so faint.  I'm not completely giving up on the rages, who knows what happened and certainly my shot placement did not help.  Lots of lessons learned on that hunt, but I'll give the rages another shot and hopefully with better results this next time.  Thanks for all the great feedback.

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:08 am

With a hit like that there is alot of stuff back there that can easily plug up the hole or holes. Also if you were back far enough but did not hit an artery it may not be a lethal shot. Who knows ? I may or may not be the broadhead. Theres no reason the blades wouldnt open up unless you have some from the recall with the rounded shoulders.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:58 am

Goose, thanks actually I just spoke to a good friend whose opinion and hunting expertise are right up there with many of you pros and he said the exact same thing...he noted since it was not a pass through and the shot placement was high, there is a good chance it would have taken a while for the blood to fill up in his cavity where it would have spilled out the entry wound to provide a better blood trail or as you suggested it could have been plugged up by some of his innerds...he's convinced he's dead and in those laurels...so i'll keep looking and hope for the best, but man is this just frustrating.  I know...welcome to the wonderful sport of hunting right?

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:59 am

I believe I saw on the package that it promise's you youll find your deer or money back.. Id look into that a little more...

As for me.. I wont be using the Rage 2 blades anytime soon. I had it open up on me while drawling back on a coyote. Before I knocked the arrow I MADE SURE it was closed and before I drew back I MADE sure it was closed. When I came to full drawl, it was open. Coyote gone! Thats to much to risk if there's a big mossy infront of me. Im going back to the  G5s.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:47 am

I tried the rage 2 blades last year with great success, so this year I decided to give the 3 blades a try to see which one I liked best.  I just shot my first deer with the 3 blades, and I'm equally impressed with them.  The shot was 15 yds slightly quarting to me.  I hit high right behind her left front shoulder and exited very low just back of her right rear ribs.  Entry hole was huge with all three blades deployed. The exit hole was almost big enough to put my fist through.  She traveled about 75 yds before going down.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Archery_NUT

Postby Archery_NUT » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:24 am

i have yet to actually tag a deer with my new rage broadheads but all this positive feedback sounds promising

bad day of hunting beats a good day of school or work anytime

270.tomcat

Postby 270.tomcat » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:02 am

Hello:vipermann7,& all other members
Hope U don't mind a new-B telling a story!!Well I'm from southern ontario,CANADA & I shot a really big buck that came to the decoy but never recovered him.Quarting away I thought I was making a perfect heart shot...nope the arrow went rite were I aimed the arm pit,the buck ran the field,across the ditch & in to standing corn. I followed the track(no blood)to the corn and found one spot of blood,looked until dark & went back at first light with help.My bro-inlaw jump him 250yds from the shot,buck took off my arrow still in him.My muzzy 100gr. in his shoulder, maybe the RAGE 2 blade would have taken that buck!! It's kind of like getting punched in the stomach,I feel aweful(my fault) should have aimed for that opp. leg!! Well I still have an unfilled buck tag so I think I'll invest in the rage. Thanks for listening & happy hunting everyone.
Deer Hunting is a privlilege, don't abuse it !!!

Archery_NUT

Postby Archery_NUT » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:58 pm

the rage broadheads ti[ps for me fly the same as do the field ti[ps i have never had problems with the shots being different thatn the actual broadheads.
bad day of hunting beats a good day of school or work anytime

Topsarge1

Postby Topsarge1 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:11 am

I am an old timer at bowhunting, first license and deer in 1966, I've used recurves and compounds, broadheads by numerous manufacturers, and have found the Rage to be the best I've ever used. The deer I've taken with them travel a short distance from the shot, leaving a very good blood trail, all my shots have been pass throughs, and all dfeer recovered.

PreviousNext

Return to Broadheads