Best slug guns

schlupis

RE: Best slug guns

Postby schlupis » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:45 pm

Been looking on line and have only been able to find a few and they are always asking 1,000 or more.
I need to do some serious saving before I get ahold of one of those babies. I am sure it will happen some day.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:10 pm

ORIGINAL: schlupis

Been looking on line and have only been able to find a few and they are always asking 1,000 or more.
I need to do some serious saving before I get ahold of one of those babies. I am sure it will happen some day.

Well don't hesitate. They are like land...they ain't making any more of it!

You know, I don't really understand why they didn't sell better. I mean, I know that $750.00 is a lot to pay, but how many deer hunters would pay that and MORE for a RIFLE, or how about a new compound BOW, with all the lights, horns, and whistles?

It's you DEER GUN, for goodness sake! Why compromise????
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:27 pm

I know that a lot of other manufactures made nice slug guns for half the price. when I was selling guns the 870 express sold like hot cakes and the mossberg bolt action also sold out fast because they were cheap reliable guns for half the price.. I am with you though I dont like to compromise on my weapons either..

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:54 pm

Absolutely, the H&R is gotta be the most accurate slug gun out there (with the exception of the Tar-Hunt) and just the other day I saw Cabelas is still selling them for $265... That's a crazy-good gun for the money!

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:04 am

A few years back when it looked like my son was gonna get the bug, in order to free up a slug gun I bought a Mossberg 695 bolt action.

What keeps me shooting it is the pure potential. "If only" is what periodically goes through my mind.

First off, overall it is made fairly well and I paid less than 300 bucks for it brand new.

In terms of accuracy it can be a little scary in better hands than mine. I'm just not Gods gift to riflemen. The 8 pointer last year stood around at 128 yards and I talked myself out of the shot twice before breaking the trigger. With enough time and a good rest, any deer out to 140yrds or so needs to have it's affairs in order.

It is as close to a zero maintenence shotgun as you can get. I wouldn't hesitate to use it as a canoe paddle should the need arise.

Downsides:

Kicks like a mule on meth

Not the quickest handling firearm, at least for me.

Could use some work on the trigger pull.

To-do list:

Some better optics with a bit more eye-relief would be welcome [:@] 

Final score- For it's few faults, it's a snipers deer killing machine.

mndeerslayer

Postby mndeerslayer » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:09 am

I use a mossberg smooth bore i had killed deer out to 125 yards with it model 500 12 gauge
MNDEERSLAYER ///// FLAGGED FOR INTRUSION

stumpsitter66

Postby stumpsitter66 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:11 am

The best slug gun out there is the Tar-Hunt. But it is VERY expensive. The two next-best guns (no longer in production, but can be found on the secondary market) are the Marlin 512 bolt-action and the Savage 210 bolt-action. The Marlin shoots Win Partition Gold slugs out to 150 yards VERY accurately. The Savage shoots Federal Xpanders out to 130 yards with above-average accuracy. The new Lightfield slugs are also very accurate, but they shoot better out of a honed 870.

SS66

PS: Both the Marlin and Savage can be found for decent prices at places like Gun Digest The Magazine.

Paul T.

Postby Paul T. » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:16 am

Mossberg 695 bolt action slug gun.  Factory ported and ready for scope and sling.  Longest shot with winchester platnium tip has been 180 yrds. from a bi-pod.  Dropped him in his tracks.  It's a little akward to carry with the clip but makes a great gun to sit with.  
Michigans Thumb!!!

S.W.A.T. 33

Postby S.W.A.T. 33 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:27 pm

i like my trusty remington 11-87 special pourpose with the combat extend-oo tube 8 round of thunder love it there is nothing better then slug hunting except bow hunting love that a little more
SPECILIZED.WHITETAIL.ASSAULT.TEAM.

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:00 pm

I've trusted my Remington 870 12 gauge pump action Express Combo for as many years as I've been hunting (well, at least since Santa brought me it for Christmas of 93).  You all should know, if Santa brings you something, it has to be good.  He's been making his list, checking it twice!  I've had access to a 30-06 Remington, a 35 Remington as well as a .270 guess what...also a Remington.  (Previously hunted in Rifle Country)  I think every gun is as good as the next one.  You just have to shoot it regularly.  I've taken a lot of deer with my Shotgun.  Does and Bucks.   Like the old saying goes (I'm making this up right now, but it makes sense), When you miss...99% of the time it's the hunter, the other 1% it's the gun.  From a financial aspect, I'm willing to use the Smooth bore gun I have.  In other posts, I've claimed I don't shoot over 75 yards, and that's true.  As a matter of fact, I shoot further with my Muzzleloader than I do with my shotgun, and in some cases I shoot further with my Bow than with my shot gun.  I'm OK with that.  So I take that into aspect.  I've convinced a buddy of mine to also purchase an 870.  We go pheasant hunting, as well as late season deer hunting together.  The choice was simple.  My father purchased an 870 this year, as he will be hunting with me in a Shotgun only zone for the first time.  I'm excited about that.  The bullets for a smooth bore are so much cheaper than a rifled barrel, and unless you plan to shoot 150 yards+ I wouldn't recommend it.  Now, to be clear, I'm not claiming that the 870 is the greatest shot gun in the world.  However, for the price I paid for the shotgun, the distance I'm shooting, and the "money I spent on ammo" to sight it in.  If we're shooting 150 yards or less, I'd be able to put my slug the same place you put yours.  Did I mention, I have iron sights?  Yea, I shoot my gun quite a bit.  Sure, the recoil isn't anything to be proud of, but hopefully something I post after the gun season in WI will be.

In conclusion, not only will the Phillies win the World Series, but in order for your gun to be as good as you want it to be, you have to make a serious effort at sighting it in, regardless of what type of shotgun you have.  Pay attention to what's going on and be willing to sit there until your group is where you want it.  All of this I believe is what can be accomplished with time on any shotgun. 

PreviousNext

Return to Slug Guns