Deer habits?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
DeanoZ

RE: Deer habits?

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:45 am

Interesting yuo should bring that up, another poster here and I were just discussing that, and so I looked up the post/debate on mechs vs fixed...some very interesting discussion taking place....and I also noted the recall...so I'll be checking my Rage's because if memory serves me correct I may have the rounded edges.  I also came across the post on ethics and saw the pics of the deer with the arrow shaft still in it...which of course left a horrible pit in my stomach, I can only imagine the one I shot running around like that...the place ment was almost identical except centered vertcally on the deer.  I'm going to continue to use the Rage's, there are good arguments for and against, but I'm not convinced it was the broadhead, but moreover operator headspace and timing if you know what I mean.  I call'em like I see'em and I'm man enough to fess up when I've done something wrong.  As always thanks for the insight JPH :)

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:28 pm

If penetration continues to be a problem look into a heavier arrow.  I switched to a heavier arrow a couple years ago and so far about 3/4 of my shots have been complete pass throughs.  
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:06 pm

ORIGINAL: DeanoZ
I call'em like I see'em and I'm man enough to fess up when I've done something wrong. 

That is a true virtue.

And please don't misunderstand my statements. I am totally sold on the Rage broadhead.  

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:32 pm

ORIGINAL: OHhunter

If penetration continues to be a problem look into a heavier arrow.  I switched to a heavier arrow a couple years ago and so far about 3/4 of my shots have been complete pass throughs.  

This is good advice and makes me think, with all the advice we were jumpin in to give you, none of us asked if you were set up by a competent pro shop. I was steered way wrong years ago by a shop wanting to sell me the wrong stuff for my particular bow.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:45 am

JPH, nope did not misunderstand what yu meant..its all good and I appreciate the sound advice and insight.  when something like what happened to me occurs, you want to look at every angle..its not a mistake I want to repeat.  As it turns out I have the new model rage broadheads, but that still does not mean they functioned correctly..only way I'll know for sure is if we recover that deer.  Arrow weight might be a possability, but in my eyes a slim one, I use standard Beman Carbon Arrows and the Rage is a 100 grain Broadhead should be sufficient especially with the draw weight at 70#...but then again the last bow I owned was  Jennings Unistar and Iw as using alum shaft Easton Gamegetters with 125 grain Wasp Broadhead...just goes to show how long its been since I last was bowhunting!
Squirrelhawker, great question, and yes I was ( or would like to think I was) setup by a competent pro shop.  Their resident pro is Daryll (his last name escapes me) but he was also on the US Archery Olympic Team.  When I brought my Jennings Unistar in to get updated he informed me for the money it woudl take to update the bow he could set me up with a decent updated used one.  He showed me the used Bowtech VFT which was a $600 bow traded in by the previous owner who on a whim just wanted the latest and greates...he sold it to me for $300 with everything (drop away rest, pendelum sight, doinker, limb and string silencers, etc), less the arrows.  He fitted me for the draw length, tuned it and added a kisser button for me.  Then we went out back to their range and sighted it in at 20 yrds.  Inside of 5 minutes and a few minor adjustments I was putting all 3 arrows into a group the size of a half dollar...the difference between that bow and my old Jennings were night and day...I was sold!  So I would have to say he did an excellent job of sizing and adjusting the bow to me...I'm extremely happy with that purchase and Daryll!

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:58 am

Just another update on my most recent hunt this morning...nothing earth shattering to report except I'm learning, so thats a good sign.  As it turns out the weather was ok, no rain as predicted so it was dry this morning.  got settled into the stand a little later than usal (my hunting buddy overslept) but still in plenty of time to get set up (I'm getting much better with the self climbing tree stand, lol).  What was different this time around was the absense of deer on the side of the roads feeding and grazing in the pre dawn hours..also did not jump any getting into my stand, whcih tells me their moving habits have already changed some.  of course some things never change, as predicted my yearling doe shows up, this time just one of them and is browsing the usual area.  So i readied myself for a shot and as she was about to come ito my lane I drew back and waited..and waited...and waited some more.  She finally came ito the lane but not enough (nor was she quartering away) where I felt comfortable with a shot, so I backed off full draw and waited soem more hoping she might come closer or at least give me a better shot...nope, she walked away as did my hopes of shootign a deer this morning.  As tempted as Iw as to take the shot, I quicly recalled my 8 point roaming the woods with an arrow still stuck in him and that was enough to make me think twice...so i guess I am learning.

Nothing else came along that morning, as a matter of fact the wind picked up some after that doe wandered off, and since it was not in my favor I'm guessing thats why I did not see anythign else.  As an aside there is another 8 pointer roaming that stretch, my buddy saw him yesterday...and its definately not the one I shot before, so looks like I may get another shot!

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:24 am

Arrow weight might be a possability, but in my eyes a slim one,

I think arrow wieght is often overlooked by many archers, we want fast flat shooting bows that give us a larger cushion when judging distances. But in my opinion, if your wanting a stable, arrow that's going to connect downrange with a more force, and increase your chances of a pass through you need to bump up the weight a little.

Take a bow shooting 270 fps with a 350 grain arrow, your kinetic energy is going to be somewhere in the nieghborhood of 56 ft/lbs, now change the set up a little and add 50 grains to your arrow, it's going to slow it down some, let's say 10 fps. so were at 260 fps with a 400 a grain arrow now our kinetic energy is around 60 ft/lbs.  Not only do you have more kinetic energy but it also going to sustain more force upon impact resulting in deeper penetration and subquently more pass throughs. 

The little differences in kinetic energy may be a non issue when using a fixed blade broadhead, but I think it's a very important factor when using mechanicals and talking pass throughs.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Previous

Return to Best Practices