Leaving stands up year round ?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
duckunder

Leaving stands up year round ?

Postby duckunder » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:25 am

I know a guy who takes his stands down every year when the gun hunt is over here in Wisconsin..... I personally leave mine up year round, thinking the deer will get use to them being there.... Does anyone else take them down at the end of the year?  The guy I know has about  7 or 8 of them up.... I would think this would be a pain in the butt taking them down and putting them up all the time.... any thoughts ?      Oh, and does anyone else loosen up the ratchet straps on the climbing sticks or hang on stands in the spring to allow for the trees growing all summer ?

mndeerslayer

RE: Leaving stands up year round ?

Postby mndeerslayer » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:36 am

HELLO DUCKUNDER - I TAKE MINE DOWN EVERY YEAR I PUT THEM UP ABOUT A MONTH AND A HALF BEFORE SEASON STARTS THE DEER ARE PRETTY USED TO THE NOISE THE STAND MAKES FROM CREEKING WHEN THE WIND BLOWS THE TREES AROUND.
MNDEERSLAYER ///// FLAGGED FOR INTRUSION

burnnurse1

Postby burnnurse1 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:40 am

There's usually a lot of oilfield construction, and pump station checkers around our lease, so I usually take mine down after season to prevent them from walking off. I try to put them up at least a month or two before season and the deer don't seem to mind. Yes, it is a pain in the rear, but better than having to buy new stands every year due to a thief!!

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:41 am

My hunting buddy and I leave our ladderstands up year round. We occasiounally replace the ratchet straps, but never do anything besides that.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:59 am

I take mine down at the end of every season, and try to get them back out in August.  Some I take down before gun season starts, to many tresspassers and theives.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:15 am

ORIGINAL: hunter480

My hunting buddy and I leave our ladderstands up year round. We occasiounally replace the ratchet straps, but never do anything besides that.

Same here.  I found that  I did as much damage to the stands hauling them around as I did leaving them up.  I just finished a massive refurb effort.  I took down the two oldest, cleaned off the surface rust, and repainted them.   One was replaced with a new stand, and then both the old ones were redeployed to new locations.   Those two will only be used as 1-man stands from here on out due to their age.

The other three will do until  #3 son and I stop fitting in them together. My guess is that I have about 2-3 years to come up with a way to accommodate Angus and me in a raised stand before we start pushing the 500lb  weight limit.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:56 pm

I leave mine up year around but every year i still seem to find places to hang another couple. Im going to have to start using GPS coordinates to remember where they are all at!!! Yikes...
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

deerhunter713

Postby deerhunter713 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:06 pm

I normally take them down, but last year I was lazy and left them up.  The only thing I had was a little corrosion.  Other than that, everything is good.

gard73

Postby gard73 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:20 pm

I leave mine up. I do take the ratchet straps off so the mice and other critters don't have there way with them.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:20 pm

I take mine down on state land, but when hunting my own land I keep them up.. I really dont think it matters if you take them down or leave them up, other than a little extra work. (That is as long as you hang them back up in the early summer.) Ill always keep mine chained up no matter what.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Next

Return to General Discussions