Slightly Insane

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
scottflesher

Slightly Insane

Postby scottflesher » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:13 pm

My wife thinks i'm "slightly insane" because.....................

Yesterday upon returning from work, I noticed some type of burrowing creature (probably a ground hog) had dug a hole under the stairs of our back deck. I covered the hole with the freshly unearthed soil and this morning it was still covered. However as my wife, little boy and I left for afternoon errands, around 12:30pm, the hole had been cleared out. As we were running errands I had a brilliant idea. My son is 3 years old and we haven't used his baby monitor (audio & video) for about 2 years, i'd honestly forgotten about it. Upon returning from our outing, I found it in the closet and set up the camera (out of the elements) in the garage window pointing in the direction of the hole. I then filled the hole back in and grabbed the portable video monitor and have been watching the video (live feed from the camera in the garage) like a hawk for a few hours now. I have an arrow nocked and my release is on my wrist. I've already formulated a plan to dart out the front door, walk around the front of the house and as I round the corner, I should have a clear 17 yd shot.
Fortunately I have an old arrow and muzzy that's looking for some action.

Anything to keep me in the hunting mode until Fall, even though my wife thinks I'm "slightly insane". ;)

kellory

Re: Slightly Insane

Postby kellory » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:28 pm

Sounds like a plan! However, one word of caution, Make sure you are legal where you are. I could not do that here, because to release an arrow in city limits qualifies (stupidly) as discharge of a firearm. So I would suggest you check the rules first. ;) Good luck!
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:47 pm

no worries there Kellory. I live in the country.

It's now 8:45pm and too dark to shoot. After keeping a close eye on the screen for about 5 hours, he didn't show. I must admit, the anticipation was pretty exciting.
Hopefully tomorrow will be the day. We are expecting a storm front to come through about noon, so I'm hoping he'll want to feed before the front arrives. Not sure if ground hogs are like most game, but we'll see.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:01 am

Die hard hunter? Yes. Bored? Definately. But insane? No.

Insane would be donning facepaint and camoflaging yourself to blend in with patio furniture or yard shrubbery and staking out for him!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:25 am

Go get him Scottflesher. Woodchucks are enemy #1 at my farm. I have to give you lots of credit for the baby monitor idea. Keep us posted on your results.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:24 am

Glad to see my fellow hunters appreciate my "insanity".

I've hunted wood chucks since I was a little kid, but normally by patrolling a field with a .22 or a rifle. Never in my back yard with a bow.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:25 am

If you want a better view of your target, you could cut the side out of a milk jug and insert your camera. Then set it outside and closer to the action. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Jon H.

Postby Jon H. » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:49 am

Sounds like a good time to me! If needed to speed up the action. You can put a water hose down the hole. I'm sure it will fly out of there then! Now I know why I always see the police in my neighborhood when I'm shooting varmints. It must be the face paint and hunting cloths that match my lawn furniture.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:18 am

I also live out in the country and have had a terrible time this year with ground squirrels burrowing all through my yard. So far I've managed to remove 3 of them with my .22. The best part is that the last two were shot from my living room window. It's amazing how little attention they pay to opening a window and removing a screen, but they're gone as soon as they see someone walking around.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:13 am

Hey Dee! Go easy on the little bastids! I'm in the hardscape installation biz (or what "biz" there's left after all the "Hope And Change" :x ), and while 4 years ago I ran 2 crews installing paver patios and retaining walls, I'm down to just ME, and the only work that's out there is patio maintainence. You can't make any money, but it's a living. These little ground squirrels burrow under paver's and create uneven spots and sink holes, and I get a fair amount of work because of them!

In fact, why don't you live trap them and when you get a dozen or so of them call me and I'll come and get them and release them in my area!!!! :mrgreen:

"WHEN LIFE HANDS YOU LEMONS, MAKE LEMONADE!"
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Next

Return to General Discussions