whitetail advantage

howhill1

whitetail advantage

Postby howhill1 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:37 pm

recieved whitetail advantage tonight and im very pleased thus far. im about thre chapters into it right now and its a pretty good read. it gives scientific research and data to back up the observations it accounts.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

JOEL

RE: whitetail advantage

Postby JOEL » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:15 pm

got mine too .so far i like it.its factual enough without being boring.i really enjoyed the bit on eyesight.the QnA section after each chapter is a nice touch as well.the quality of the photos is top notch and its an easy read.thanks D&DH
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:33 am

Well it certainly looks like a great book.
I can't wait to start reading it.
I just got it today.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:04 am

From my weblog, Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries

I received a promotional copy of Whitetail Advantage: Understand Deer Behavior for Hunting Success by Dr. David Samuel and Robert Zaiglin for review yesterday. I have been digging through it, and I must say that the world has come a long way. Up on my shelf is over a quarter century's worth of collecting books on whitetail deer. I am not a serious collector by any means, but I started out my life as a hunter trolling for books at used book stores. I have a few gems and more than few duds. In many ways, this Whitetail Advantage makes an impressive comparison to the best.

Foremost in my mind is the authority of the book: Samuel and Zaiglin are both professors in the field of wildlife management. This is a long way from the mostly biographical texts of 150 years ago, and the focus is no longer recounting a lifetime of hunting experience. Although a lot of it is written in the first person, there is very little anecdotal about this book. It is a book written by experts for the purpose of digesting the latest information available on deer behavior. This is not a book of myth.

The most striking thing about Whitetail Advantage is not its content; it is its form. The layout, style and typography use color photography and color printing throughout to point the reader to important information. So many of the books on my shelf have pages filled with hastily gathered snapshots, mostly posed, thrown in to break up a page. This is an extremely well-executed book. The digital photography is clean and crisp and most of all: pertinent. A lot of the photos, blown out to a larger size would make a wonderful coffee table book. What these photographs telegraph is that somebody is getting around a lot of deer and getting very intimate with them. I have a wonderful book from the Seventies that is illustrated in its entirety with pencil drawings from a then well-known artist from the Saturday Evening Post. Wildlife photography was simply non-existent in those days, since few people saw deer, let alone got a chance to put a camera on them. It was trying to do for its day what Samuel and Zaiglin are trying now. However, the body of knowledge it attempted to cover amounted to: go in the woods, find some tracks and follow them.

Please don't confuse my gushing over the layout and infer that this book is all form and no content.
Whitetail Advantage is not a beginners book. It was written for successful hunters who want to make sense out of what they are seeing in the field and take their game to the next level. Each chapter stands on its own and takes a single topic into much greater depth than I have seen from these authors' magazine work. Do not think you can pass this book up, just because you've read the authors before in Bowhunter or Deer and Deer Hunting. There is a lot of new information here and a better way of looking at deer hunting as a whole.

Rubs, Scrapes, Beds, The Rut, Funnels-- the buzzwords have been floating around deer hunting for 40 years. Whitetail Advantage is not the first book to try and bring them all together into a cohesive picture. However, I would say that Samuel and Zailin have done the best job to date of succeeding. This book also discusses all the new gimmicks and technologies, but I feel that it gives them proper perspective. One of my peeves with contemporary sports writing, and sports media is the emphasis on consumerism, as if you can go to a store and buy something that will make you a better hunter. This book is about the truth of deer behavior; when properly applied it will focus your hard work and improve your hunting success.

As you get through the latter chapters, there is a lot in this book that brings the subject up to date and discusses issues I have not seen in books of other eras. If you dig through Depression era books, you see a lot on self-reliance, improvised equipment, and making due with what you have. Books from the Fifties and Sixties tend to discuss all the new rifles and cartridges and traveling to distant venues to hunt the pockets of burgeoning whitetail herds. Whitetail Advantage has chapters on Chronic Wasting Disease, getting the family involved, and the future of sport hunting. With current trends in loss of huntable habitat, and loss of interest in the sport, I must say that the future of deer hunting as they see it is bleak, and I agree. However, the picture they paint is accurate and there is plenty of good information to get the deer hunter motivated to take action, and to pass the tradition on to those he loves.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

djohns13

Postby djohns13 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:02 am

Nice review Shaman.  I haven't made it all the way through my copy yet but I think I will eventually rank it up there with Mapping Trophy Whitetails by Brad Herndon.

The level of knowledge and experience between the two authors is stupendous.  I like their style of writing and chapter summaries as well.

For those "newbies" who might read this book: focus hard on the chapter regarding scent and a deer's ability to create a memory that connects an odor to danger for the rest of its life.  When all of the experienced hunters tell you to watch your scent, not to over hunt a stand, etc., this is why.  They have lived through it and know it is true.

Good shooting.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:36 pm

I also received a copy and I am trying to find time to read it as our Archery season just opened up today .
I was surprised when I read the chapter about Deer Vision . I had always been told that deer are color blind but the author states that blue is easily visible in the deer's eyes . Maybe that's why Chuck Adams started wearing camo gear ........[:D]

djohns13

Postby djohns13 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:43 am

I previously didn't think deer could see color either but have several instances where sitting still in the woods (for photography) in blue jeans and the deer have picked me off by what I believe is noticing the blue.  They can tell that it doesn't blend with anything else naturally out there.

Good shooting.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:43 am

ORIGINAL: djohns13

[color="#000000"]For those "newbies" who might read this book[/color]: focus hard on the chapter regarding scent and a deer's ability to create a memory that connects an odor to danger for the rest of its life.  When all of the experienced hunters tell you to watch your scent, not to over hunt a stand, etc., this is why.  They have lived through it and know it is true.

I couldn't agree more.

I spent a good part of this weekend living just what you said, only in reverse.  It was KY Muzzleloader Season, and I was not interested in taking anything but a big trophy. As it was, the weekend turned into sort of a scout-with-a-rifle kind of affair.  I had a bunch of deer, a lot of them immature bucks, by my stand.  I'm in the woods a lot scouting anyway, so the deer know not to mind me too much. I'm largely harmless.  I'm sure a good number of them saw me, but without there being a threat, they just kept on going. 

In fact, my son took a shot at one last weekend-- missed a young buck cleanly just out ahead of the stand. The buck, not knowing what to make of the scene, just kept right on feeding, as did another buck that was a little further out.  Both of them were back feeding in the same spot Saturday morning. 

On the other hand, I had one doe that watched me kill her mother back in 2004, and for the next few years that deer had a serious problem with not only my smell, but the stand as well.  When all the other deer were out feeding below my stand, she'd be back in the cedars stomping and snorting. Sadly, I think old "Madge" has finally moved on.  I haven't seen her all Fall.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:38 pm

[font="times new roman"]Whitetail Advantage: Understanding Deer Behavior for Hunting Success by Dr. David Samuel and Robert Zaiglin.[/font][font="times new roman"]

In his opening paragraphs, Dr. Samuel states the inspiration for this book was in response to a need to provide a single source covering the latest deer research, and how that research might provide clues to making a more successful hunter.  I must say that I believe the authors have done exactly that.  This book is a very good resource for the beginning deer hunter who would like a single reference book as an answer to their deer and deer hunting questions.

A laundry list of topics include; sense of smell, eyesight, aging deer on the hoof, deer body language, calling deer, rattling deer, a deer's home range, why deer move, breeding data, rubs, scrapes, chronic wasting disease, an interesting perspective on trophy hunting, and the future of hunting.  After each chapter, the authors do a question and answer session to revisit major points, which is a nice departure from the general format of the book.  I did notice some of the material has already been printed in Bowhunter[/i] magazine so had I actually spent money on this book I would have been very disappointed.

The book is academic in nature, citing various studies and deer related research.  There is not a lot of anecdotal information making for a "fun" read, but the material is interesting.  Given the academic tone, I would have liked to have seen resources cited and footnoting used.  Numerous studies were referenced, but given the failure to adequately identify the studies, it would not be possible to look them up for further exploration.

The book itself was formatted well.  The text was easy to read, line spacing was good, and chapters are not too long so a person can sit down and in 20-30 minutes read a chapter.  My only criticism would be that I wished it had been run by an editor one more time; there are a few misplaced words and misspellings.  
[/font]
[font="times new roman"]
Overall, the book provides a great deal of information in a very usable format.  I would recommend this book to anyone interested in hunting deer, particularly those relatively new to the sport.  Dr. Samuel and Mr. Zaiglin have done an admirable job.
[/font]
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

EatDeer

RE: Whitetail Advantage

Postby EatDeer » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:17 am

Whitetail Advantage, is a great collection of information about deer hunting. No matter if you're a new hunter or a seasoned veteran, this book will bring your skills as a hunter up to par with some of the most intelligent researchers in the field of deer hunting.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

Next

Return to Books/DVDs/Magazines