The Johnny King Buck

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Ohio farms

Re: The Johnny King Buck

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:53 pm

I think that we all rehashed this last year. Come hell or high water, B & C is not going to change their mind. It's their book.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:40 am

Why doesn't someone come up with another 'trophy record book' and track total score only, no deductions...

Everyone would love it.

Handicapping a deer for growing MORE antler seems counterproductive for a record book scoring the size of antlers.

The deer with the most total antler should be on top, that just makes sense.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

rllarson

Postby rllarson » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:10 am

Wow if it is even close it needs to be panel scored. then there would be no story ( well maybe if it made world record).
I have lost all faith in B&C and P&Y for firing the scorers, now remember these are guys that do this on their own dime. I for one will no longer have anything to do with B&C and P&Y, because of their heavy handedness in dealing with the scorers. the P&Y firing would be like firing a college ref for not liking a NFL play call, that won or lost a game for a team. so much for freedom of speech.
And as far as Wisconsin Buck and Bear club get a list of scorers that would like to do the scoring, pick 11 names out of a hat and do it anonymously. stand up for whats right (a panel scoring), if it stands up to the panel fine and if it is found lacking fine also.
I think the money is in tourism and guided hunts to the area that claims the world record, so just seems like its political and not a fair judgement call.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:58 pm

I don't have a problem with anything that you said Rilarson, but nothing will change. B&C and P&Y have all the bullets.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:46 am

rllarson wrote:Wow if it is even close it needs to be panel scored.

Agree. I thought that was a routine practice.

rllarson wrote: the P&Y firing would be like firing a college ref for not liking a NFL play call, that won or lost a game for a team.

Seems like a good analogy.

rllarson wrote: And as far as Wisconsin Buck and Bear club get a list of scorers that would like to do the scoring, pick 11 names out of a hat and do it anonymously. stand up for whats right (a panel scoring), if it stands up to the panel fine and if it is found lacking fine also.

I can't argue with that. Seems like no one would be risking anything, and it would highlight the subjectivity in the call that's being made now. One change I'd make, however. Wisconsin scorers might be accused of wanting to bring the world record back to Wisconsin. So, since the buck was killed in Wisconsin, choose anonymous scorers who are not from Wisconsin.
rllarson wrote: I think the money is in tourism and guided hunts to the area that claims the world record, so just seems like its political and not a fair judgement call.

That doesn't seem plausible to me. Why would the B&C want to promote Saskatchewan? This wouldn't make the Hansen buck any smaller, so if tourism promotion is a factor, the Hansen buck would still be a draw to Saskatchewan. I'm more inclined to think it's simply an issue of face-saving.

Good post, Larson!

Steve.
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Previous

Return to Breaking News