Buying a bow.

hunt4

Buying a bow.

Postby hunt4 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:12 pm

I am in the prosses of trying to my my first hunting bow. Can anyone recumend a bow that does not cost much, has a light draw wight but is still strong enuff to take down a deer?

deerbuster73

RE: Buying a bow.

Postby deerbuster73 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:08 pm

You get what you pay for. Id stick to Hoyt or Mathews but there expensive. They have adjustable draw weights so just crank it down all the way. Try buying a used one at an archery shop you can get a top of the line bow thats been completley gone through by a professional and ussually at a good price. If you wanted to go with a new one look for one of the off brands thats made by one of the good companies. Reflex bows are made by hoyt but dont cost as much and are still a good bow. Ive killed deer when i was shooting a 35 pound bow when i was 12 years old. I now shoot 70 pounds and would reccommend at least 50lbs but I know it can be done with as little as 35lbs. Good Luck.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:26 am

ORIGINAL: hunt4

I am in the prosses of trying to my my first hunting bow. Can anyone recumend a bow that does not cost much, has a light draw wight but is still strong enuff to take down a deer?

Patronize your closest bow shop. They`ll help you get fitted with a bow that is properly set up, ensure your form is correct, and will be there to answer questions and service your bow.

Additionally, most local bow shops will have many older, brand new bows for sale at a drastically lower price than the current year models.

As for make, some will try to tell you matthews and all the others are superior bows-nonsense-PSE makes a very fine bow, and likely have accounted for more deer kills than all the over-priced bows combined.

The main thing is simply to find a bow that`s comfortable in your hand.

paulie

Postby paulie » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:04 pm

I dont think you have to pay 'top dollar' to get a good hunting bow. Dont let someone else tell you what "you" want, shoot as many as you can, you'll know which one's right for you. Take a look at www.parker.com, they have some good bows that are pretty reasonably priced. You may also want to look into some of the new fred bear models, or perhaps the new line from Mission archery(made by Mathews) Best of luck to ya, and remember, buy the one that feels the best to you, not what someone else says is the "best".

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:15 am

Like Paulie said you don't have to spend alot to get a good hunting bow. Cabela's brand bows are good, there made by Parker. Bass Pro shop bows are made by Hoyt. Sportsmans warehouse bows are made by Bowtech. My first bow I bought a Cabela brand and saved close to$300 bucks, the same bow made by PSE who made that bow was 275 more. Complete setup for less then 500. The reason I bought the Cabelas bow was they said shoot it for a month and if I am not completely happy bring it back for a full refund.

Don't discount a good discount
lol

Panman1949

Postby Panman1949 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:11 pm

ALL the new bows are going to kill deer at almost all weights of draw.  Shoot as many as you can and pick one that feels good to you.  Only you can make you happy.  Good luck and good hunting, Panman
Be Aware, Bikes are Everywhere!!

mojo

Postby mojo » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:58 pm

Everyone has an opinion, but I had a new Diamond last year and wasnt happy. I got a used Mathews Switchback XT this year and I love it!!! As far as draw weight check your states minimum required. Indiana has a #35 min.

Big Buck Daddy

Postby Big Buck Daddy » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:23 am

The great thing about this forum is all the great advice you'll get when you ask the question.  It's the best advice you'll get!!!

Don't forget that a kill shot depends on many factors.  Quietness and broadheads play just as much a role as anything.  A great, razor-sharp broadhead put in the right spot (even at lower speeds) does all the work.  A quiet bow won't be heard as easy and you shouldn't have the problem of "string jumping"!

Try as many as you can!!!  The best bow shops will understand what you want and start you off trying older, less expensive bows.  Be leary of the bow shops that grab the "top of the line" big-named bows to have you try first.  They are trying to get the sale and will influence you to buy something you don't want or need.
You can do anything you want, but you'll eventually have to answer to THE MAN for it!

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:00 am

Try one of the bows in the Bear line. I think they have packages down to $300. I tried a couple last Spring and they were nice bows. Nothing too fancy... just nice

Goose

Postby Goose » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:33 pm

Go with any make or model you want, there many good bows out there and all "top shelf" bows have a budget line or whatever you wanna call it. Mathews has mission, Hoyt has reflex, bowtech has diamond and so on...... The bows mentioned above are good as well, you want one you feel comfortable with and shoot well. I would recommend a higher brace height ( distance from inside of grip to string) because that will be more forgiving. I would recommend 7 inches or better. I would also recommend a smaller grip because that will cause less hand torque upon the shot. The longer the axle to axle length the more forgiving it will be as well. i would look into these things when picking out a bow. Good Luck and let us know what you go with.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Next

Return to Bows