Advice Needed (Warning: Gross)

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
JPH

Advice Needed (Warning: Gross)

Postby JPH » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:30 am

This is a bit personal, but I can't immagine I am alone here.

I love morning hunts, but they present a bit of a problem for me. I am one of those guys who can use their bowel movements to set their watch. Every morning, between 0800-0900, I have to do my thing. And to make matters worse, the older I get, the more "urgent" the need. I find it diffacult to hang in there.

So my question(s): Does anyone else face this? How do you correct it? Diet? Immodium? Or might it be better to find some way to get that out of the way before the hunt?

I know this is gross and I am opening myself up to some serious ribbing, but D&DH is all about practical and comprehensive information. [:D]

(Ps. To the D&DH staff: PLEASE do not use this post as an example of forum activity in the mag.) [:D][:D]

Woods Walker

RE: Advice Needed (Warning: Gross)

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:01 am

Try this..........

Before you leave camp/home, look at your latest 401K report. If that doesn't do it, then yer empty!  [:D]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:10 am

Bland diet

Up your fiber intake slightly

Ride a little earlier than you need to.

Take a short walk before showing for the hunt, or exercise in the house for a few minutes.

Have a good strong cup of coffee.

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:26 am

I agree coffee and a cigarette will break that repetitious event every time for me.  But if you don't smoke, which is something you don't want to take up ever.  Maybe a stick of nicorette, but only when you rise in the morning and hunt, not everyday would have the same effect? Have an extra strong cup of coffee.  It gets the system going I think.  My problem is #1, not #2.  I don't like peeing by my stand, so I have to bring one of those large gatorade bottles to relieve myself every morning at about 9:00.  This is frustrating at times, but I don't want to climb down with my climber stand just to pee and climb all the way back up and resetup.  I hate carrying around a pee bottle, its kinda gross and probably not the best scent free item. Ha[:)]
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:31 am

Mountain dew does it for me in the morning and it only takes about 10 or fifteen minutes to kick in.  Drink it when first get up, eat you breakfast, load up your truck, RUN  to the bathroom and hang on (I'd also suggest turning on the fan),  then take your scent free shower.  You don't want any lingering odors.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:51 am

ORIGINAL: OHhunter

Mountain dew does it for me in the morning and it only takes about 10 or fifteen minutes to kick in.  Drink it when first get up, eat you breakfast, load up your truck, RUN  to the bathroom and hang on (I'd also suggest turning on the fan),  then take your scent free shower.  You don't want any lingering odors.

Ahahahha, you just made me laugh really hard for the first time today!![:D]
Mountain dew would work too I suppose. good post
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:29 am

What about flatulence while on stand?  Does that spook deer?
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

passin through

Postby passin through » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:40 am

Strong coffee and a smoke.  Or just strong coffee  in good quantity.  This will bump up your schedule.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:21 pm

"[size=2]What about flatulence while on stand?  Does that spook deer?"
[/size]

LOL !!!  NO!  In case you hadn't noticed, EVERYTHING that has a lower GI tract farts!  Besides, it sounds like a bit like a tending grunt anyway!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:25 pm

JPH: For what it's worth.........

People that show dogs don't want to have a dog make a "kennel point" in a show ring, so in order to get them to take care of biz before hand, a method they use is to take a wooden match stick dipped in vaseline and insert it into the business end of the dog to stimuate the equipment down there.

Just sayin........[:D]  [;)]

P.S. You do NOT....repeat NOT....., under any circumstances LIGHT THE MATCH!!!!!!  [:D]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Next

Return to Best Practices