IL., deer hunters campfire

EatDeer

IL., deer hunters campfire

Postby EatDeer » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:19 am

I went deer hunting this morning , but only saw half a dozen racoons. I could see my breath in the cold air until around 7:30 am, and the east wind was chilly enough to wear a jacket. I headed out of the woods at about 10:00 am when the mosqitos started buzzing around my ears. Nice to be deer hunting again! Let us know how your day of deer hunting in IL. turned out!  [:)]
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

howhill1

RE: IL., deer hunters campfire

Postby howhill1 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:01 pm

finally made it out this morn. got to my tree and agggghhhhh left my tree belt in the truck, so snuck another 50 yrds to the ground blind. got in and got settled and found... thats right, tree belt in fanny pack. oh well it worked out cause i saw two good bucks. a mainframe 8 in the 130 to 140 range. and a 12 who gave me a good long look bedded at about 40 yrds in front of me. hes got alot of character with a split g2 on the right and a split g3 on the left and a few stickers . saw alot of does as well. im realy impressd with the screens on the brickhouse i got away with movements(although slow and deliberate) that i never would have without em. they all seemed to be still in the summertime routine somewhat. i grunted and bleated at the 12 since he was alone. he looked a while but didnt show any real interest.cant wait till next saturday!
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:17 pm

I know what you mean, I left my release in my case today on the evening hunt. Cost me a 10 min hike back through a the bottom of a huge cut bean field to the truck. I'm glad you saw some nice bucks! I used my heat bleat to call in a yearling 6- point buck, and a 2.5 yearold doe with a couple fawns. I shot the oldest doe as she strided past my tree stand at 5-10 yards away, then shot her again as she was trying to leave. I had to finish her off with my knife because the broad head got up in the spine a little. She will make some fine burger..or deer sticks.[8D]

Lot to Learn

Postby Lot to Learn » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:35 am

Well I am off to a stellar start. Went out 1st in the late afternoon didn't see anything, but convinced my stand was in a great place. Heading out same field different stand the 2nd and saw the farmer at his house so decided to swing in and say hello. He proceeded to tell me he did not give me permission to hunt this year etc... He is getting pretty old and not in good health.  So much for my perfrect spot. Luckily I do have another farm I have permission to hunt, just further away and got a couple stands put up today. Hopefully will sit in one tonight and at least get a chance to look around.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:51 pm

Sorry to hear about the landowner being forgetful about the access. Sometimes the not so perfect hunting area's produce good results. I've seen some dandys get pulled out of over looked areas, you never know what you will see when the rut peaks up. Good luck!

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:21 pm

i agree if theres one thing that we as deer hunters can count on its adversity. hang in there things will come together. im a look for the silver lining type of guy.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Lot to Learn

Postby Lot to Learn » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:33 am

Thanks to you both. Trust me, I am grateful I have a place to hunt. I know that is not the case for everyone.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:12 am

I went deer hunting this morning, and could have shot a couple young bucks, but thanks to QDM, the bucks will be bigger next year if they survive the season. I guessed a couple were 1.5-2.5 yearolds another buck was a decent 3.5 yearold, but he must have seen a doe further down the creek, because he left after about 5 minutes of standing still. The other two came by my stand three times looking for the source of a doe estrus call! They were really interested in finding a doe. The bucks looked like they were starting to rut, maybe this is the start the seeking phase? Anyone else seeing any deer in pre-rut?

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:31 am

I thought I'd take the time to let everyone know how the hunting has been around my area. I've been seeing tons of pre-rut action, rubbing, seeking, and scrapeing by both buck's and doe's. I had a small buck checking a mock scrape with in minutes after I set my scent the other morning. Then I was totally trashed by a young doe, she gave me a perfect 20 yard broadside shot, then ducked my arrow. The doe was small, but very quick, she dodged so low to miss the arrow, that the broadhead barely cut into the back side of her opposing shoulder blade. My shot was a little high anyway, but that just showed me how quick those young deer can re-act to a bow shot. I'm heading to the Tioga property tonight with my hunting buddy, maybe one of us will bag a doe, or a mature buck. I'll be sure to let you all know if I see any deer.  [;)]  

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:47 pm

just a lil stoked (albeit pretty bummed). vacation time. plan to spend the whole next week in a tree. after tuesday i really need some medatation time. hopefully this cool weather is going to hold out. ill keep everyone posted if i have a success story.

Next

Return to Illinois