What scent at what time?

DeanoZ

What scent at what time?

Postby DeanoZ » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:26 am

I'm a bit of a novice and hence at a disadvantage when it comes to the use of scent attractents, so I'm looking for some help in this area.  When it comes to Buck Urine, Doe Urine and Doe Estrus scents, when are the right times to use them in relation to the rut (i.e. pre/post/during/all the time) and what is the proper way to use them (i.e. drag line, wick, mock scrape etc).  I'm guessing Doe Urine on a wick just before and during the rut, Doe Estrus during the rut, maybe with a little Doe Urine mixed in as well on a drip?  When is the best time to use Buck Urine?  I've heard anytime...or just before or after the rut?  Can get really confusing so any assistance is much appreciated.

DeerCamp

RE: What scent at what time?

Postby DeerCamp » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:47 am

I dont like to use scents. I feel as if I am safer without them.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:28 am

I like to use dominant buck scent in the later stages of the pre-rut. The bucks will not like competition in there area. Wouldnt be a bad idea to use this in mock scrapes or existing ones as well. The other ones you have stated seem right to me.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:07 pm

Yep you are pretty much on track with your scents.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:07 am

Thanks all, glad to hear I was not far off the mark!

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:29 pm

i live in illinois, and have used 'active scrape' right b 4 halloween and into november. bucks have always come to it.you have to b careful,i have had does blow out a few times. one trick is to scent a scrape a buck made, then cover w leaves,see when its kicked back open.If its not in a few days its probably not high priority on that bucks list,if it is hunt it then!!! remember all deer dont act the same, no matter where u hunt---peace--5buck

Jdbllung

Postby Jdbllung » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:39 pm

Watch the videos on this site at the home page, it might help some as to times for scents.
Happiness is a good blood trail! Jeremy W.

Return to Scent Attractants/Scent Eliminators