Pre Orbital Gland Lure

Tracks, Rubs, Scrapes, Trails, Etc.
muskybill50

Pre Orbital Gland Lure

Postby muskybill50 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:19 pm

Read an article In DDH talking about Smokey's pre orbital gland lure. Tried some last year in some areas it worked bring bucks in to cameras other areas it did not. Has anyone else and any sucess with it any tips will help thanks

Everyday Hunter

Re: Pre Orbital Gland Lure

Postby Everyday Hunter » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:24 am

muskybill50 wrote:Read an article In DDH talking about Smokey's pre orbital gland lure. Tried some last year in some areas it worked bring bucks in to cameras other areas it did not. Has anyone else and any sucess with it any tips will help thanks

Hi, Muskybill50:
First, welcome to the D&DH forums. I see you registered only last night, and I see from your other post that you’re from West Virginia. Congratulations on that WVA 12-point.

I am the author of the article you asked about, and another article on using it to attract and identify bucks will be in the September issue coming up. So, be looking for that.

I can tell you that my experience with pre-orbital gland lure has been similar to yours, and what I’ve learned is that it makes a huge difference where you place it. Last summer I had lots of doe activity at my licking branches, but very little buck activity. My buddies who are using it in Ohio and Iowa brought lots of bucks to their licking branches with it last year.

Last year I had a new spot I was real excited about. A lady had a 25 acre piece of ground she allowed me to place my cameras on. The area is bounded by her yard, a river (across the river is a small village), an old railroad bed, and two creeks that run parallel to each other before emptying into the river. The area was very swampy, and I thought it would be a great area for bucks. Immediately I began getting pictures of does and fawns. I got one bad picture (due to poor camera placement) of a nice 10-point, and a few yearling bucks. That was all. (I could see he was a 10-point as he approached the licking branch, but when he was at the licking branch I couldn't see his head because the camera had a bad angle.

I had a few other cameras in another area, and I got more pictures of bucks but still, not many. That area wasn't secluded at all. Lots of human activity – dog walkers, horseback riders, ATV riders, bicycle riders, hikers – way too much for deer to tolerate, even with a big old apple orchard in the middle of it. Although I saw some bucks, even a few nice ones, all deer activity was severely impacted by all the human traffic.Even with the trees loaded with apples, deer activity was inhibited because of all the human activity.

My lesson is twofold:
(1.) Does, and even fawns, will work licking branches. If that’s happening, you know the lure is working. However, some areas are home to doe groups during the summer. They’ll stick to small areas where they can safely raise their young, and they’re staying away from bucks. That means your cameras won’t get many pictures of bucks in a core security area or nursery area for does.
(2.) Placing pre-orbital lure in areas frequented by bucks is critical. Bucks can be much more reclusive than does during the time when antlers are soft. If they have food and cover, they may not move much. That means you may have to really work to identify trails bucks are using in that concentrated area. Human activity will dramatically reduce deer activity.

Cameras placed in areas of high doe population won’t get many photos of bucks. Cameras placed in secluded areas where does have set up a nursery for their young won’t get many photos of bucks. Cameras in areas where the human traffic is high won’t get many pictures of mature bucks. Cameras on trails to food sources used by does and yearling bucks will give you photos of doe groups and yearling bucks.

One more thing to note that has an impact on our results: Deer trails often are not used universally and equally by bucks and does. Sometimes, where does travel freely, bucks don’t. They’ll often use other trails, maybe 20 to 50 yards away. Look for those trails. (I call them “dim” trails.) Put your cameras there. You might have to work to find the right trails, but when you do I suspect you’ll begin seeing bucks you didn’t know were there.

All the best to you.

Steve.

P.S. Here's a doe working a licking branch on a trail to a food source. Note her fawn right behind her --
Last edited by Everyday Hunter on Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected typo.
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Return to All About Deer Sign