crossbow equipment question

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Mastertangler

crossbow equipment question

Postby Mastertangler » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:56 pm

Due to multiple joint replacements including both shoulders replaced, my dad now qualifies for a crossbow. I've got him all set up with some good equipment but I have a question on range / sighting in for anyone that might have a reply.

He's not going to shoot more than 40yds as that's a long way and he knows his limits. But the site has three fixed pins so if he puts the lowest pin at 40yds, his top pin is bullseye at like 10yds which is silly close.

Is it better to put the short pin at a distance of say 20yds thus opening up the longer shot, or is it better to put the long pin at the 40yds to virtually eliminate any temptation of shooting further?

kellory

Re: crossbow equipment question

Postby kellory » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:16 pm

What is the recommended effective range of his crossbow? most are about 40 yards, some are more. If a pin is in your way, remove it. I have only 2 pins on my crossbow, 1 set to 20 yards, and 1 set to 30 yards. if it is a longer shot than that I just hold a little high on pin 2. My other crossbow has a reddot zeroed at 30 yards. Either way, have him practice at targets with it to get the feel and the range of it.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:18 pm

10 yds. won't be silly close if all you have is a 20 yd. pin and a deer standing at 10. At least don't forget to take a 10 yd. shot with the 20 pin just to see where it hits. It is important to shoot at known distanced to accurately shoot a crossbow. It is still archery equipment and no shot is a gimmie. They are great to shoot, but there is a trick to it.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:41 pm

You did not mention the poundage of the cross bow. If it is at 150lbs, first pin at 20 yds should be ideal. But the reality of it should be to target shoot it to expierience the out come, and be familiar with it. Why not a scope?
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

sanyitos

Postby sanyitos » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:15 am

Hi.., Can any one give me guidance for deer hunting . what should I take with while going to hunting and how should I approach ?

international bowhunters
archery strength equipment

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:24 am

Sanyitos,
You ask a very basic question about deer hunting, then add two websites for hunting equipment. What's with that?
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

1-GTOHunter

Postby 1-GTOHunter » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:16 pm

Another good idea is to buy Your Dad a good reliable Range Finder or if He's hunting out of a fix blind or inside shooting stand/box or You can mark off 20,30 and 40 yards so he has an idea if and when a Deer comes into range...some times we put different colored ribbons out so we can see how far it is to shoot.As several mentioned its best to practice with the Cross-bow so You know first hand where it will be hitting and how far Your limitations are,another thing to consider is the angle of the Deer,how high are You shooting down from or will You be shooting on solid flat level ground and to consider the angle/path of the arrow when it passes thru a Deer?

sanyitos

Postby sanyitos » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:16 am

Crossbows do have a longer range than traditional archery but not the newer compound bows. Past 30 yards most crossbows have a trajectory that is worse than that of a compound bow with the same or slower initial velocity.

archery trailblazer supplies
easy eye archery products

Return to Archery and Bowhunting