Where do you prefer to set-up?

Tracks, Rubs, Scrapes, Trails, Etc.
Sailfish

RE: Where do you prefer to set-up?

Postby Sailfish » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:40 am

I've taken wind direction into consideration amongst other things.
I have narrowed it down to two sites near bedding area's and food source.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Adam C

Postby Adam C » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:39 am

The downwind side of any bedding area. I've seen large bucks come out of "doe" bedding areas at all times during the hunting season.
   Sometimes, if you have regular access to the property, find a decent trail & set up. You may need to use that location as observation, then strike when you think the time is right
   Bucks may hang around doe bedding areas during some times of the season for security, though this is not a proven fact, that is my judgement based upon what I've seen. During feeding times of year, I seem to always see a line of does come by before the bucks start to move. You have to fool the does if you want the bucks.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:13 pm

Anytime when im scouting and see deer, i will try to remain unseen until they leave and i f i like the general area i will generally try to set up on their trail where i see the most use or if their are faint trails intersecting i will try to set up about 25 yards away from those, since typically they are going to be from a buck, if rub line is nearby or a primary scrape area, that makes me feel even better.

But it really depends on what part of the year it is

Early season and late season- I will focus mainly on food sources and the trails that lead to and from them, oaks, corn, beans, whatever is nearby. Oaks have been great for sightings in the early season and corn an beans have been magnets for late season sightings.

Mid season- Bedding area's or staging areas for food sources or hidden wood lot food sources

Rut, in the past i have tried to be by rubs or scrapes, but i have had minimal luck during the rut other than my first buck kill in 2005, this year i will be focusing on family bedding areas and setting up downwind of them

It all depends and where im at, what time of the year it is and what and where food/water is comes in to play as well.
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

Previous

Return to All About Deer Sign