When they're way out there

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
dtrain56

RE: When they're way out there

Postby dtrain56 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:13 pm

I think as bow hunters we all know what a high percentage shot is, there is not much debate in that i don't think,

pretty much the rule is quartering away sums it up...distance is you own comfort level but more that 40 yards or closer..usually way closer..

I don't see those standards being used by those who set the example for quality hunting practices to the public...

I see quartering to...not ethical
I see neck shots... not ethical
I see shots at 50yards...not real ethical

what is there to argue about that...this is a quality high percentage shot and then there are not high percentage shots..

i guess any shot might work but i think we should stick to the old standard of quartering away..or broadside....or heck why don't we just shot them between the eyes at 75 yards ...that would kill the deer, all you have to do is be perfectly between the eyes...right..chance of success 1 in a million!!!!!

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:31 am

Go hunt the wide open spaces for muleys. If you dont learn to shoot at farther distances you will more than likely head home empty handed. But of course practice, get a fast bow, and know when to shoot.
Wheat is harvested, Animals are killed...

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:45 pm

well we are not hunting mulley's we are hunting whitetails...

so where is the logic...

mulleys are shot at further distances but you are not shoting in the woods your in open fields with bigger kill zones...and you still don'r shoot out to 70 yards..50-55yards which i shoot regularly at 3-d targets but not a whitetail...

you still try to take broadside or quartering away shoots...i think..right

you still don't take neck shoots or forehead shoots or quartering 2 shoots...correct...

or do you!!???? 

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:11 pm

ORIGINAL: dtrain56

so where is the logic...

mulleys are shot at further distances but you are not shoting in the woods your in open fields with bigger kill zones...and you still don'r shoot out to 70 yards..50-55yards which i shoot regularly at 3-d targets but not a whitetail...

you still don't take neck shoots or forehead shoots or quartering 2 shoots...correct...

or do you!!???? 

Oh I forgot the whitetail is more important than the simple muley. My logic is this, Whitetails live in open areas to, people need to learn to shoot their bows, bows have changed, speeds are way more than they used to be, the 40 yard max is not the norm anymore. I feel its simple don't take a shot you can't make don't ever shoot past your capabilities. Of course you dont take head shots with a bow, although I seen a guy kill a grizzly with a head shot from a bow but he is more a man than I. My bow shoots 70 yards no problem, and is still rippin down at that range, would i shoot a critter at that range probably not, maybe if I have an arrow in it already then I might..

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:12 am

ORIGINAL: gutpile

so where is the logic...

or do you!!???? 

Oh I forgot the whitetail is more important than the simple muley. My logic is this, Whitetails live in open areas to, people need to learn to shoot their bows, bows have changed, speeds are way more than they used to be, the 40 yard max is not the norm anymore. I feel its simple don't take a shot you can't make don't ever shoot past your capabilities. Of course you dont take head shots with a bow, although I seen a guy kill a grizzly with a head shot from a bow but he is more a man than I. My bow shoots 70 yards no problem, and is still rippin down at that range, would i shoot a critter at that range probably not, maybe if I have an arrow in it already then I might..

You are wrong there gutpile, Whitetail is the only valid, ethical hunting. Fact is whatever criteria dictates whitetail hunting applies to ALL hunting. [8|]

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:24 am

Again i don't see your logic, this has nothing to do with whitetails over muley's it has to do with ethical kill shots with a bow, can you shoot 70 yards sure, You can launch an arrow 100 yards or more..but is that a high percentage kill shot?????

should you shoot 70 yards..no..i would like to see the kentic energy of your bow at 70 yards..hardly a high percentage shot...

also i can shoot more that 40 yards but i also shoot expandables...so i don't feel that they will perform at an optimal level after that...

but the question at hand was why  T.V. personalities or "pros" as i would like to call them don't take high percentage shoots considering they are the voice of our insustry, they should be like the presedent of the United States and held to a higher standard because they are what the "public" see as our industrys ethics and morals...are you one of those "pros" you must be because you are very defensive about that..and i guess i can see why considering you would even think about shooting your bow 70 yards at an animal..

you are probably also one of those guys who unloads a clip or two at a running deer...please let me know when and where you hunt so i can stay out of the woods

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:44 am

ORIGINAL: Highlander Archery

ORIGINAL: gutpile

so where is the logic...

or do you!!???? 

You are wrong there gutpile, Whitetail is the only valid, ethical hunting. Fact is whatever criteria dictates whitetail hunting applies to ALL hunting. [8|]

HA!

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:00 am

Again i don't see your logic, this has nothing to do with whitetails over muley's it has to do with ethical kill shots with a bow, can you shoot 70 yards sure, You can launch an arrow 100 yards or more..but is that a high percentage kill shot?????

should you shoot 70 yards..no..i would like to see the kentic energy of your bow at 70 yards..hardly a high percentage shot...

also i can shoot more that 40 yards but i also shoot expandables...so i don't feel that they will perform at an optimal level after that...

but the question at hand was why  T.V. personalities or "pros" as i would like to call them don't take high percentage shoots considering they are the voice of our insustry, they should be like the presedent of the United States and held to a higher standard because they are what the "public" see as our industrys ethics and morals...are you one of those "pros" you must be because you are very defensive about that..and i guess i can see why considering you would even think about shooting your bow 70 yards at an animal..

you are probably also one of those guys who unloads a clip or two at a running deer...please let me know when and where you hunt so i can stay out of the woods

First of off don't ever think you know how I hunt, don't ever accuse me of anything that you don't know, Want to know who I am I am just a regular guy committed to saving a way of life that many want to destroy, I don't read hunting mags much cause how much more can they teach you, I read em to be entertained,  I am on the board of directors of a conservation Organization dedicated to preserving all hunting, not just a select few. I also would never use a gun for hunting that had a clip cause it one more thing to lose or have go wrong.
 Now if the mech broadheads you use that you think preform poorly at a longer range then why use they might preform bad at a closer range. That is why I use a one piece broadhead, g-5 or nap crossfires. Now again times have changed weapons have changed speeds are greater arrows lighter, Bows are made to shoot farther, some people are not. But because one cant make a shot at a longer distance doesn't mean they all can't. I have seen deer shot at 60 yards and the arrow go through them, all the way out the other side, as in no arrow left in said deer, now that's pretty good penetration, and if the bows can do that then I believe they are more than capable of killing at longer ranges.
 And I do believe the So called pro's ought to be making good shots on t.v. taking only high percentage shot's but I have seen a few bad ones, and think they should not be taken. But I also seen real hunting situations were one misses seeing the little twig in the way and see a bad shot because of it.

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:54 am

well, i guess if you are robinhood 60 yards is a easy high percentage shot..you must be robinhood...The equipment is capibale of killing at 100 yards if you were to hit the deer the arrow would go right through..but could you hit the deer..

you can also shoot a deer at 1000 yards ith a rifle..still not an ethical shot unless you are a sniper for a marine recon or seal team..

the human element is usually the limiting factor ..not the equipment...and seriously...would you teach someone to shoot at a deer from 60 yards...

Think back to hunting 101 and what would you teach a youngster..someone just starting out...do you see that on TV...or do you see high fence..bait piles..poor shoot selection...

yes there are a couple note worthy "pros" the Primos guys..the Drury's...maybe the gettin close crew...but more often then not latley you see geting a deer on film become a higher priority over Hunter ethics and reputation of the sport.

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:03 pm

well, i guess if you are robinhood 60 yards is a easy high percentage shot..you must be robinhood...The equipment is capibale of killing at 100 yards if you were to hit the deer the arrow would go right through..but could you hit the deer..

you can also shoot a deer at 1000 yards ith a rifle..still not an ethical shot unless you are a sniper for a marine recon or seal team..

the human element is usually the limiting factor ..not the equipment...and seriously...would you teach someone to shoot at a deer from 60 yards...

Think back to hunting 101 and what would you teach a youngster..someone just starting out...do you see that on TV...or do you see high fence..bait piles..poor shoot selection...

yes there are a couple note worthy "pros" the Primos guys..the Drury's...maybe the gettin close crew...but more often then not latley you see geting a deer on film become a higher priority over Hunter ethics and reputation of the sport.

I bet hunting with you would be a real joy..
So you can only make long shots if you are a sniper with a rifle..really gee never known you couldn't practice. there are more ways to hunting than just sitting in a tree stand. the drury brothers the primos guys, non of them matter to me non I am not impressed by them guys in the least.. I myself Practice so I can be the best I can be, I hunt ares were you better be a good distance shooter, I hunt areas were you dont have to shoot far at all. I make sure that I can make these shots that is why I practice. Listen there is more hunting in this great world of ours, and i plan on doing it all, so I myself feel its important to make sure you can kill at longer distances depending on the terrain if ya cant make the shot dont. You can make a bad shot at 10 yards just the same, and I have seen them guys on t.v. have the deer jump the string at that yard they better quiet the bow down, and get a faster one..

PreviousNext

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features