Help for food plot newbie

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
Lee Lobbestael

Help for food plot newbie

Postby Lee Lobbestael » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:21 pm

Hi guys, I have access to a piece of property that I think a small food plot wood help to bring deer under my stand. I have never planted a food plot so any advise would be appreciated. I have limited time and am on a budget. I have a rototiller and a seed spreader. I believe it is to late to add lime to the soil and be ready because I want the food plot up by October. I live in southern Michigan and the area i'm planting is in a field of tall grass and weeds. There are a lot of deer in the area but nothing to consistantly put them under my stand. What seed should I plant? Where should I get it? when should I plant? and how should I plant? Thanks in advance for any advice.

kellory

Re: Help for food plot newbie

Postby kellory » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:21 pm

Welcome to the forum Lee, I am not the best one to answer that one, but my first thought was clover. There are many posts on this site about food plots, and many people who use them. I would suggest you use the search box at the top of each category, "food plot" should get you every post mentioning them, and give you plenty to read. Good luck and good hunting.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

xmatax

Re: Help for food plot newbie

Postby xmatax » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:26 am

Lee Lobbestael wrote:Hi guys, I have access to a piece of property that I think a small food plot wood help to bring deer under my stand. I have never planted a food plot so any advise would be appreciated. I have limited time and am on a budget. I have a rototiller and a seed spreader. I believe it is to late to add lime to the soil and be ready because I want the food plot up by October. I live in southern Michigan and the area i'm planting is in a field of tall grass and weeds. There are a lot of deer in the area but nothing to consistantly put them under my stand. What seed should I plant? Where should I get it? when should I plant? and how should I plant? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi Lee...

We do some small "kill plots" in the woods around tree stands. If you want something quick I would suggest getting a "throw and grow" clover/brassica blend. You can usually pick up these small quarter to half acre bags at a sporting goods store and they are between 12 - 20 bucks. Basically just scrape off leaves, clear as much vegetation as possible, and try to get to some dirt to throw the seeds on. If there is a little rain around the time you plant and some sun after they should sprout up within a week. You can actually lime it when you plant if you wanted to lime, however because it's going in late it's not a necessity. What I have noticed is without proper fertilizer/lime you will get greens, but it won't be "bountiful" like it should be. However, for a last minute plot with throw and grow you should at least get some green out of it and hopefully attract some deer to you!

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements