Advice Needed (Warning: Gross)

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
DeerCamp

RE: Advice Needed (Warning: Gross)

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:34 pm

Try not to eat anything or drink anything for about 2-3hrs before you go out...

I have the problem of passing gas a lot... I usally will try to hold in and usally can do it. However sometimes thats just painful. So what Ill do is put my scent killer in one hand and spray my bum good. Let her rip, then spary for a min straight. But hey, its better than getting down from the stand, I still am able to see deer and havent been winded. I wouldnt try this if you can see a deer though. Just try holding it I guess.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:38 pm

ORIGINAL: DeerCamp

Try not to eat anything or drink anything for about 2-3hrs before you go out...

I have the problem of passing gas a lot... I usally will try to hold in and usally can do it. However sometimes thats just painful. So what Ill do is put my scent killer in one hand and spray my bum good. Let her rip, then spary for a min straight. But hey, its better than getting down from the stand, I still am able to see deer and havent been winded. I wouldnt try this if you can see a deer though. Just try holding it I guess.

You really get that anal (no pun intended), about gas emissions while on stand?  I am LIVING PROOF that this DOES NOT bother deer! And this INCLUDES the smell!

If you were in our deer camp and ate what is usually on the menu, it'd be IMPOSSIBLE for you to "hold it" without tying lead weights to your feet to stop you from floating away like a zeppelin!

Can anyone here really say that they've known of a deer that was spooked by the sound/smell of flatulence?

What the deer do, run off yelling, "HEY! Who cut the cheese!!!???" [:D]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:59 pm

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

"[size=2]What about flatulence while on stand?  Does that spook deer?"
[/size]

LOL !!!  NO!  In case you hadn't noticed, EVERYTHING that has a lower GI tract farts!  Besides, it sounds like a bit like a tending grunt anyway!

having grown up raising and tending gernsies(milk cows) i can definitly attest to this. 
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

coach

Postby coach » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:01 pm

Every Saturday is a routine for me.  For example, this coming Friday, I go to bed 1 hour earlier then I should.  I wake up 1 hour earlier.  So i'm up at 3:30am instead of 4:30.  I go to the kitchen a get myself a small cup of coffee or tea, anything warm with a buttered toast. I go back in the basement and look at the weather network or sports station. By the time I start getting dress, cause I'm now buck naked,....(not a pretty site as per my wife)  which is 30-45 minutes later, my stomach is now worse than the perculator Black & Decker coffee machine.

Works for me.
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:03 pm

ORIGINAL: howhill1

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

"[size=2]What about flatulence while on stand?  Does that spook deer?"
[/size]

LOL !!!  NO!  In case you hadn't noticed, EVERYTHING that has a lower GI tract farts!  Besides, it sounds like a bit like a tending grunt anyway!

having grown up raising and tending gernsies(milk cows) i can definitly attest to this. 

LOL! I grew up around horses (and still have them), and I worked on cattle ranches in Wyoming....YOU AIN'T LYIN"!!!!!  [:'(]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:04 pm

as for the question. following the fitness regimen you do im sure youll agree you can train your body to do what you want. i would suggest looking at what you eat or do prior to that "magic" time (sorry ) and try to find a trigger. perhaps re-work your schedule a bit.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:09 pm

Woods Walker, it's just the way I am..Everyone is different when it comes to scents.  I will go way out of my way to cover anything up. Every deer is different. For example, in the UP I own 1000 acers, that borders on to state land. In centeral MI I have some state land I hunt. As well as land that we own down south. In the UP the deer dont seem to be botherd by much, but down here I have had deer run off due to a smell they are not use to... Like I said every deer is different, and there for I will go out of my way to make sure I have NO scent what so ever. Besides I hate the smell when it just sticks around me.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

burnnurse1

Postby burnnurse1 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:30 pm

As a nurse, one of the things we do to "stimulate" our pt's is ambulate or walk them. Hot and cold fluids such as coffee and milk are great bowel stimulants as well. Might suggest waking a little earlier to get started on your bowel cleansing regiment though. Results are not instantaneous. Takes probably around 30 min to get it through the pipes. Also have another suggestion. In the Burn ICU that I work, we get pt's who are unable to get out of bed, so we insert a tube into the rectum, that's about twice the size of a garden hose. This drains fecal matter into a collection bag and prevents pt's from crapping all over their wounds.

This contraption is called a Zassi bowel management system. If you would like one let me know and I'll send one with a case of lubricating jelly and instruction manual!!![;)] I'm sure your buddies at the camp wouldn't mind inserting it for you!! LOL......Or you could just do what I do when I can't stand it anymore and get down, dig a hole, bury it, and hunt.[:D][:D][:D]

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:32 pm

ORIGINAL: DeerCamp

Besides I hate the smell when it just sticks around me.

That should be enough justification for anyone.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:52 am

ORIGINAL: Patriot

What about flatulence while on stand?  Does that spook deer?

That's what scent lok is for. 
I got my first scent lok suit when I was in college, I ordered it from cabelas so naturally when it arrived I wasn't home.  When I got home it wasn't on the porch, no.  My roomates had taken it and were wearing it around the house farting in it, to see if they could still smell it. I don't remember the out come of the expirament but funny none the less.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices