2012 deer regulations released

bullwinkle

Re: 2012 deer regulations released

Postby bullwinkle » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:35 pm

I understand the muzzleloader - kind of a nice change. I might do this for a challenge. The bow and using bow license during gun season has me scratching my head. What is driving this? The only people I could see this benefit are:

1. Guys who what to shoot two bucks and claim one is with their bow license

2. Felons now can be in the woods during gun season

3. Guys can bow hunt on lands closed to gun hunting.

How many people do you really think are going to restrict themselves to a bow and arrow when the rest of the state has slug guns and 30-06's?

What am I not understanding with this change?

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:12 pm

The point was to mis-categorize the crossbow as a gun. That is it in a nut shell. they have widened who can use it, but have restricted how it can be used.

As for a bow being used throughout the gun season? Ohio has been doing it for years. Some guys prefer to never pick up a gun. Our season starts @oct. and runs through Jan. with no breaks. When the guns are out during deer gun, hunter's Orange is required. Works just fine!

Deer are more keyed up and alert during deer gun, But many guys still stick to the bow. It does have the advantage of silence, when every place else is noisy. That can, under the right conditions, be an asset.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:53 pm

I got it, missed that point. Thanks

willypete

Postby willypete » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:00 pm

I have a couple issues with the bow thing:

1. Bowhunters have months of other time to hunt. What is wrong with a 9 day break?

2. Why would you really want to do this? Why no go one of the other 90days you can hunt?

3. The amount of people using bow tags but using a gun is going to be quite sad. Cause one thing we know is people already lie about how they use their tags. Using tags of someone your hunting with....anyone who has used someone elses tag is probably not within the legal distance.

If you want to do it more power to you, but i still dont think they should have done this.

Return to Wisconsin