Advice Needed (Warning: Gross)

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
msbadger

RE: Advice Needed (Warning: Gross)

Postby msbadger » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:36 am

COFFEE

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:38 am

Okay, I started my own favorite thread! I'm laughing and learning at the same time.

In all seriousness, this has been a real problem for me b/c I find myself being forced from the stand way too early (often in a painful, hunched up crouch) in the a.m.

So far it would seem that the consensus is that it would be better to speed up my system, rather than slow it down. The coffee is a great idea, but I already drink it strong and by the bucket full. That may be the problem, but I cant shake that habit.

I really appreciate the advice from burnnurse1 (except for the hose). My wife is a nurse, but she refuses to talk to me about this b/c she says I have an unhealthy obsession with deer hunting and no normal person would go this far to sit an extra hour in a treestand. Guilty as charged.

I waill be working on this "project" for the rest of the week. I can't hunt until Saturday morning, so I might as well do something, right? I think I can manage to move my movement up to right after I wake up. I'll let you know how it goes.

Oh and BTW, Sentlok simply funnels your farts up to your face by way of the neck opening. Kind of like an old Army sleeping bag.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:53 am

ORIGINAL: DeerCamp

Woods Walker, it's just the way I am..Everyone is different when it comes to scents.  I will go way out of my way to cover anything up. Every deer is different. For example, in the UP I own 1000 acers, that borders on to state land. In centeral MI I have some state land I hunt. As well as land that we own down south. In the UP the deer dont seem to be botherd by much, but down here I have had deer run off due to a smell they are not use to... Like I said every deer is different, and there for I will go out of my way to make sure I have NO scent what so ever. Besides I hate the smell when it just sticks around me.

I know. Do what you think is best. But still....the image of you standing in a tree, spraying you butt with scent killer just leaves me in convulsive laughter!

You should look into maybe getting a solar powered FAN to bring in the tree with you! [:D]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:06 am

I believe if a deer happened to get a nose full of human produced methane soon after it was "produced" a given deer might go on alert but the fact is, that kind of gas just does not hang around (thank the good Lord) outside long enough to remain detectable.

IMO anyone trying to eliminate it "on the job" so to speak with their chosen brand of scent eliminator is just wasting product and producing unnecessary movement in the process.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:49 am

First of all, I don't have a problem holding off my bowel movements. JPH, if your in that bad of a condition, may be you should switch roles with your partner. [:D] LOL JK! Other than taking care of the business in the morning like the rest of us, maybe you could start carrying a zip lock freezer bag to the stand with you. [:D] I probley should have went with the "no comment" reply! LMAO
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:53 am

ORIGINAL: DeerCamp

Woods Walker, it's just the way I am..Everyone is different when it comes to scents.  I will go way out of my way to cover anything up. Every deer is different. For example, in the UP I own 1000 acers, that borders on to state land. In centeral MI I have some state land I hunt. As well as land that we own down south. In the UP the deer dont seem to be botherd by much, but down here I have had deer run off due to a smell they are not use to... Like I said every deer is different, and there for I will go out of my way to make sure I have NO scent what so ever. Besides I hate the smell when it just sticks around me.

You mean to tell me you own 1000 acres in the UP near Escanaba, MI.  I think I would like to be your new best friend in the UP.  I could manage your land while your away, hehehe!!!!! 

P.S. - I'm not being sarcastic or condescending, I'm really curious if you own that much land in Delta County or not
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:48 pm

Depends......No I don't mean use Depends I mean it depends on your routine in the mornings! [;)] Get some fiber in your Diet (raisin bran,shredded wheat etc..),get up earlier than normal and do some misc work or exercises and see if that will help you out?It never fails for me....I try to use the bathroom early in the morning...can't go,then I get all my thermal underwear on,my hunting clothes,orange vest and all my gear then I have the urge to go to the bathroom and I have to take everything off and hurry up and go! [8|] [:@]

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:43 pm

Not too much fun, but the vasaline and match idea should work. There are "tools" made for handicapped people to reach around back there while you're on the can and it is basically a small rod you use to rub around the inside of the "rim", it stimulates the "number 2" reflex. I went to school to be an occupational therapist, and so we learned about all kinds of problems handicapped or older people may have, and "number 2" is one problem most people have when they are not in the best of shape. so anyway, not fun as i said, but digging around in there a little bit is a legitimate  means.  would definately recommend some of the other suggestions first, but I'm just throwing it out there to help confirm the post about the dogs and the match sticks.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:47 pm

ORIGINAL: vipermann7

Not too much fun, but the vasaline and match idea should work. There are "tools" made for handicapped people to reach around back there while you're on the can and it is basically a small rod you use to rub around the inside of the "rim", it stimulates the "number 2" reflex. I went to school to be an occupational therapist, and so we learned about all kinds of problems handicapped or older people may have, and "number 2" is one problem most people have when they are not in the best of shape. so anyway, not fun as i said, but digging around in there a little bit is a legitimate  means.  would definately recommend some of the other suggestions first, but I'm just throwing it out there to help confirm the post about the dogs and the match sticks.

And don't forget.......DO NOT LIGHT the match!  [:D]

JPH

Postby JPH » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:24 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

ORIGINAL: vipermann7

[size="3"]And don't forget.......DO NOT LIGHT the match!  [:D][/size]

Well as I said, I think I have figured this out. I was able to hang in the stand well beyond my normal time this morning. Thank God, the solution that I have arrived at does not involve matches or any of the devices that vipermann7 suggested. [&o]

But you are not too far off. Let's just say that there are FDA approved items that can be purchased at the local Walgreen's that will safely move your movement to a more convenient time table.

I just hope that I end up tagging a great buck late into a morningstand this year, or I'm going to feel pretty foolish. [8|]

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices