For Shaman!

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Woods Walker

For Shaman!

Postby Woods Walker » Sat May 12, 2012 5:27 am

As a bagpiper, I play many gigs.
Recently I was asked by a funeral director to play at a graveside service for a homeless man. He had no family or friends, so the service was to be at a pauper's cemetery in the Kentucky back country.

As I was not familiar with the backwoods, I got lost and, being a typical male, I didn't stop for directions. I finally arrived an hour late and saw the funeral guy had evidently gone and the hearse was nowhere in sight. There were only the diggers and crew left and they were eating lunch. I felt badly and apologized to the men for being late. I went to the side of the grave and looked down and the vault lid was already in place.

I didn't know what else to do, so I started to play. The workers put down their lunches and began to gather around. I played out my heart and soul for this man with no family and friends. I played like I've never played before for this homeless man. And as I played 'Amazing Grace,' the workers began to weep. They wept, I wept, we all wept together.

When I finished I packed up my bagpipes and started for my car. Though my head hung low, my heart was full. As I opened the door to my car, I heard one of the workers say, "I never seen nothin' like that before and I've been putting in septic tanks for twenty years."

Apparently I'm still lost. It's a man thing.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

scottflesher

Re: For Shaman!

Postby scottflesher » Sat May 12, 2012 8:00 am

As I read this, I found myself actually believing the story.
Apparently a septic tank isn't the only thing that can be stuffed full of s**t. :lol:

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sat May 12, 2012 12:17 pm

Funny...
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Sun May 13, 2012 5:33 am

hahhahah

I thought it was real too
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:16 pm

That's actually a sort-of urban legend in the bagpiping community. I've heard it. My son has heard it. I use a version of it regularly when I've got a gullible audience and they want to know what it's like to be the father of a kid bagpiper. It gets them every time. The fact of the matter is that a lot of the private gigs my son plays are a lot like that-- funerals for people we don't know. He shows up at the graveside and the hearse shows up and he strikes up, does his thing, shakes the hands of the widow, somebody hands him an envelope and then we're off.

One time we got a little lost in the cemetery and started getting set up for the wrong funeral. Luckily we had arrived early enough for Angus to hotfoot it over to the right grave before the hearse showed. Yikes! That would have been a hard one explain.

I'll tell you, one of the last funerals we did was absolutely heart-rending. We got a call to do a last-minute funeral. We found out the back-story: an old guy that had been a pillar of his church had died a long lingering horrible death. The only thing he kept telling folks was that he'd go to his grave happy, knowing that a piper would play at his grave. The man's illness drained the family of resources and when he finally went, there wasn't a dime left for a funeral. The church took up a last minute collection and called us in. The old guy got his piper after all. The family had been stripped of everything, but they still got a piper for Dad.

Angus is out at his lesson. He won a 1st place and a 3rd place at the Ohio Scottish Games a couple of weeks ago. His band won 1st place as well. If y'all want to see them, they'll be at the Dublin Irish Festival outside Columbus in a few weeks.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:31 pm

Got any vids of him and his band? I love to hear the pipes. Makes me want to storm the Khyber Pass!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

freak nasty 145

Postby freak nasty 145 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:16 am

hook, line, and sinker. Loved it!
"Any sportsman who can kill his deer without the tingling spine, the quick clutch at his heart, the delicious trembling of nerve fibers when the game is finally down, has no place in the deer woods." Lawrence R. Koller. (1948).

Return to Off Topic