Pennsylvania Public Land Potential!

wildadrenaline

Pennsylvania Public Land Potential!

Postby wildadrenaline » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:58 am

Hey guys,
Just wanted to share some great pictures I pulled off my trail camera the other day. These photos were all taken from public land which is always a great thing to see! Enjoy the pics and don't forget to check out Pennsylvania's newest social network....www.wildadrenaline.com! Its the Facebook of Extreme Hunters & Anglers in the Keystone State!

By wildadrenaline at 2012-07-01

Wild Adrenaline
Wild Adrenaline

kellory

Re: Pennsylvania Public Land Potential!

Postby kellory » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:18 pm

Nice looking deer. I was not aware Pennsylvania allowed cameras on public lands. You can't leave anything behind on our public lands.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

wildadrenaline

Postby wildadrenaline » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:23 am

kellory wrote:Nice looking deer. I was not aware Pennsylvania allowed cameras on public lands. You can't leave anything behind on our public lands.

Currently Pennsylvania does not have any restrictions against posting trail cameras on public land. (And when I say public land, I mean land that is owned but not posted.) After doing some research I found that it is lawful to hang cameras on state game lands as well. But you are not aloud to use mineral blocks or food plots. I have a few cameras out that are not set on food plots and blocks and it has been very few and far between when it comes to catching deer on camera in those spots. As soon as the apples and corn peak I should be getting a lot more pictures off those cameras as well. I'll post and share when I get them.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:12 am

Thanks for the clarification, some states allow and some so not, rules vary. After making sure I was legal, I would worry about losing cameras to anyone who saw them.
I am in Ohio, and while you can set up a stand about a week ahead of the season, (on public lands) it is at your own risk. I will have to double check about camera use on public lands for us. I know your stands can not penetrate the bark (no screws or nails), and after the season everything must be removed from the woods.

And welcome to the forum. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

wildadrenaline

Postby wildadrenaline » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:47 am

My buddy just bought a camp in Ohio. I'll have to get the info on where exactly in Ohio it's located. Its good to know about the treestand situations! We were going to come out and video tape some archery hunts but I guess I'll be leaving my summit treestand at home. (It uses a cable and metal teeth to climb. I attached a pic) Pretty much stuck with using ratchet straps, huh?

http://www.forum.wildadrenaline.com
Attachments
81086_1.jpg
81086_1.jpg (10.11 KiB) Viewed 4029 times

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:17 pm

By all means, bring it.
The rule here is"A deer hunter may NOT do any of the following: item 16) Construct, place, or use a permanent-type tree stand, or to place spikes, nails, wires or other metal objects into a tree to act as steps or to hold a tree stand on public hunting lands. It is also unlawful to make any of these changes to trees on private property without first getting the permission of the landowner or the landowner's authorized agent. Tree stands and deer blinds must be removed from public hunting areas by the last day of deer archery season."

While it does pierce the bark abit, it does not cause the type of damage the law forbids. Neither does mine. ;)

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:18 pm

. (And when I say public land, I mean land that is owned but not posted.)

Just curious. So if my land is not posted, Pa. considers it "public land"? Is that the State's definition of "public land" or yours?
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

wildadrenaline

Postby wildadrenaline » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:40 am

Ohio farms wrote:. (And when I say public land, I mean land that is owned but not posted.)

Just curious. So if my land is not posted, Pa. considers it "public land"? Is that the State's definition of "public land" or yours?

No champ. If you post your land it is consider to be private land in Pa. I was putting my statement into reference that it wasn't on a public state game land, but rather on an owned property that was not posted. Sorry for the mix up.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:42 pm

Thanks for the explanation. I was confused.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:24 pm

All right, clarification. I did check with ODNR as to cameras on public lands. I was told they are not forbidden, but not recommended. Besides the theft angle, ODNR does not want anything left on public lands that could become trash, or rust. And of course, it is at your own risk.

Return to Pennsylvania