When they're way out there

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
dtrain56

RE: When they're way out there

Postby dtrain56 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:24 pm

You are stiill avoiding the basic question  

Think back to hunting 101 and what would you teach a youngster..someone just starting out...what ethics and morals would you want them to use...

I would love to here this and i'm sure we would be on the same page..because if your any kind of hunter you know what the Right thing to teach is...

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:52 pm

ORIGINAL: dtrain56

You are stiill avoiding the basic question  

Think back to hunting 101 and what would you teach a youngster..someone just starting out...what ethics and morals would you want them to use...

I would love to here this and i'm sure we would be on the same page..because if your any kind of hunter you know what the Right thing to teach is...

First thing I will teach my son is to practice, practice practice.

Second will be to come up with your own set of morals, and Ethics be able to think for yourself.

I will also teach him what are the best shots, know your distance, know your capabilities.
His "ethics" should come with experience. 
Wheat is harvested, Animals are killed...

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:31 am

I will also teach him what are the best shots, know your distance, know your capabilities

I guess you can't admit when you are wrong but this sums it up for me..

i'll let you be stubburn...there is nothing else to say...you would teach them what every bow hunter would teach them.

Unfortunatley TV personalities have forgotten those simple things and would rather get a 'trophy' on the ground on film than show the sport they way it is ment to be.

I enjoy the chase more than the kill..though i also enjoy the grill more than the kill also.. Everyday afield is a great day and  are appreciated because i can't get out there 75 days a year...so i would only take high percentage shoots because there is always tomorrow..there is always next year...

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:54 pm

yes there are a couple note worthy "pros" the Primos guys..the Drury's...maybe the gettin close crew...but more often then not latley you see geting a deer on film become a higher priority over Hunter ethics and reputation of the sport.

Lee Lakosky from getting close killed one elk and 2 mature bucks all from 50-60 yds with mechanical rages. All the shots were right where they needed to be and they all passed through. Unethical ? Rather impressive to me.
Everyone has their limits and needs to abide by them. Some people are simply better or more practiced and disciplined than others. In the end the person behind the string knows if their shot was ethical or not. Some people will care some wont. Its up to that person though and their skills and equiptment.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:26 pm

ORIGINAL: dtrain56

I will also teach him what are the best shots, know your distance, know your capabilities

I guess you can't admit when you are wrong but this sums it up for me..

i'll let you be stubburn...there is nothing else to say...you would teach them what every bow hunter would teach them.

Unfortunatley TV personalities have forgotten those simple things and would rather get a 'trophy' on the ground on film than show the sport they way it is ment to be.

I enjoy the chase more than the kill..though i also enjoy the grill more than the kill also.. Everyday afield is a great day and  are appreciated because i can't get out there 75 days a year...so i would only take high percentage shoots because there is always tomorrow..there is always next year...

How am I wrong, Please tell me, I am wrong because some people can shoot farther than others, I am wrong cause I hunt different animals, in different areas every year. Some people can shoot farther than others, bows have changed they are faster than ever before, face it embrace it.
 I can tell that you care a great deal about the quarry you chase, fairley I might add, and that is good, keep it up. I to respect the animals I kill. It is not fair to them, cause I am on their trail, but I also practice at longer ranges so if I need to make the shot I can with the utmost confidence to allow a quick clean kill..
 Now as for the so called pro's remember they are entertainers and would be pretty boring show if they only pursued and didnt kill any animals, I think that would be Marty Stouffer..
 Now as for my son who is the greatest kid in the world. I will teach him what I feel is important. It's up to him to make his own idea of what "ethics" are..
Wheat is harvested, Animals are killed...

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:01 am

May I add a little something to this?

I agree that we all need to know our limits. My limits have grown with more experience and better equipment. Ten years ago, I thought 30 yard shots were too far. Now I take that shot with confidance.

But I recall a coversation I once had with a National Indoor Archery Champion. He told me that while he has the hardware to proove his ability to make 50-60 yards shots, he would never take that shot in the wild (unless the deer was wounded). Why? Too many things, that are beyond the control of the archer can go worng at those distances.

It's not an issue for me. 35 yards is my extreem limit, but if an Champ won't take those shots, it should give the rest of us pause.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:42 pm

Once again the topic of ethics rears is head. 

Wheres the little smiley face with a bag of popcorn when you need him?
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

gltomp

Postby gltomp » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:22 pm

I've archery hunted for over 30 years.  There's a HUGE difference 'twix Target Shooting & Hunting.  I TARGET shoot to 60 yards.  I HUNT to shoot 35 yards or less.

88 yard HUNTING shots are extremely unethical in my estimation!  Sharing hunting shots like that in magazine articles surely could send the wrong message to young hunters. 
I just love hearing that 'Thwack'!

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:04 am

again saw a hunting show , whitetail freaks..guys said he took a shoot at 75 yards.....does anyone have a 75 yard pin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't belive they let that stuff air on TV or put there names on such crap

Previous

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features