Anyone getting excited already for this season?

Jslotter

Anyone getting excited already for this season?

Postby Jslotter » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:35 pm

Early bow season is little more than two months away. I can feel buck fever kicking in a little bit after my life took a leave of absence from hunting all together since last season. I hunted relentlessly last season. It was the most time and energy I ever put into a single season that at the end of it all, I needed to put away the bow, hunting magazines for awhile so I can come back down to earth again. Im pursuing all public property this year. No trail cameras or sufficient scouting. Kinda seems like Im setting myself up for failure, but thats kinda how it went down last season resulting in a pretty awesome experience.So, anyways, anyone got a hit list already or getting the 'itch' to get out there?
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Bigfoot

Re: Anyone getting excited already for this season?

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:14 am

with as hot as it's been i cant even think about deer hunting right now,much less going outside to shoot my bow......i go outside in the morning to feed animals and am like that's enough for today

willypete

Postby willypete » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:44 pm

Going to be my first bow season so yah id say im getting a little itchy. :)

But just like you after gun season is done and all the stories are done being past around i wont really think of it that much. Maybe it crosses my mind around holiday season when i have a little extra cash i will look at some of the new gadgets i might just want. I start scouting a month early so its getting pretty darn close i must say.

umpiremark

Postby umpiremark » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:18 am

I am a little ... and I'm not ...

After years of resisting (I am a cheap b@sterd when it comes to my money) I finally put down the mid-1990's Golden Eagle bow and bought a new Bear Legion. With the weather so hot, I have been tuning it and sighting in early mornings before work. She's a sweet bow and I really like shooting it. 80% let off with my old bones is a helleva lot nicer than 50%. I'm getting the hang of the new gal!!

But on the down side ... with all this hot dry weather, we haven't planted food plots yet. I'm setting 8/15 as a target date (if we get rain) but definately Labor Day is my drop dead date for turnips/beets. No food plots and the creeks way down could prove for a very lonely bow season.

Still golfing 36 holes every weekend, so the "hunting gene" hasn't kicked in fully yet. Hopefully by the time I set those sticks down and pick up the sticks and string, we've had lots of rain, my turnips are growing and hunting every weekend will replace my urge to shoot high 70's on the course!!

Good summer, all ... OUT!
One day my ship will come in!! My luck, I'll be at the airport.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:55 am

Yeah, what a nightmare of a summer. Our jetstream all up in Canada denying the upper midwest any precipitation all summer. I been wondering if our deer herd will manage thru this winter because secondary growth of natural browse might not pop up good at all and farmer's crops drying up too. Hopefully August brings some more rain into WI and gets all that squared away. My good friend and hunting partner is getting back into the swing of things and has been target shooting lately. I have high hopes for a good and prosperous season..
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

willypete

Postby willypete » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:07 pm

Jslotter wrote:Yeah, what a nightmare of a summer. Our jetstream all up in Canada denying the upper midwest any precipitation all summer. I been wondering if our deer herd will manage thru this winter because secondary growth of natural browse might not pop up good at all and farmer's crops drying up too. Hopefully August brings some more rain into WI and gets all that squared away. My good friend and hunting partner is getting back into the swing of things and has been target shooting lately. I have high hopes for a good and prosperous season..

Yah im not sure where you are in Wisconsin, but along 29 we have been doing ok. Its been a little dry, but we have been getting enough rain. I think we are getting really lucky and all the scattered thunderstorms have been hitting us and giving us the needed rain. I know the southern half is really dry though and have had some issues.

beaverman05

Postby beaverman05 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:06 pm

I don't know about u guys but I'm constantly thinking about deer hunting! I'm always excited about deer season! I just put out a trail camera this morning before it got to hot out! Can't wait to spend my days in the woods! Until then I guess ill keep watchin my hunting videos and spending time with the family!

aclemons

Postby aclemons » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:30 pm

Heading to south Florida on Tuesday for the weekend opener.

It's going to be 90 degrees Saturday. Dadgum! I may have to duct tape my hand around the bow grip.

Anyone else have a new bow? I'm still shooting the one I've had for 10-11 years. It's old but it's comfortable and it works.

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:47 pm

aclemons wrote:Heading to south Florida on Tuesday for the weekend opener.

It's going to be 90 degrees Saturday. Dadgum! I may have to duct tape my hand around the bow grip.

Anyone else have a new bow? I'm still shooting the one I've had for 10-11 years. It's old but it's comfortable and it works.

I have been shooting the same Indian Stalker Compound sense I was 16 year old. I am 48. That's 32 years. For the same reasons, it works, it fits, and it does what I tell it to.We know each other well. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

aclemons

Postby aclemons » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:39 pm

Wow, that's a long time with the same compound. But if it works, is comfortable and does what you want it to do, that's what matters.

Next

Return to Wisconsin