Rubber tote

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
JOEL

RE: Rubber tote

Postby JOEL » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:12 pm

i forgot i use the totes too i try to sort them according to season but....the jumbo ziplocs work too i tried using my seal a meal but it just didnt cut it.I have a recipie for homemade scent killer that really works.anyone want it pm me .I got it from a EMT they use it to kill the stink in the bus.[:'(]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

trophyhunter1980

Postby trophyhunter1980 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:17 am

I thought about doing this, but was wondering if the clothes would take up a plastic smell. I am to assume they must not?

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:51 am

Just a tip that I learned using them, all the ones I have used have a couple of holes in them by the handle. I put a piece of duct tape over them so they dont get foreign odors inside. I have now settled on sportsmans totes from fleet farm the reason i like these is that they have 4 clasps on them so I dont have to worry about weather or the lids blowing off in the back of the truck.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

bckklr

Postby bckklr » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:20 am

ive been doing it for 4 years now this will be my 5th i also use those XL & XXL ziploc bags found on the garbage bag isle @ wally world
adapt & overcome

hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:59 am

Guys check this out, it's a Scent Eliminating Storage Tote from Bass Pro.  I have one and it works great.  I like it because it's big enough to store everything in it I need for the trip to the hunting camp and I use it to store my hunting clothing/gear in it year round when not hunting.  It's pretty much indestructible too!  I know, it's a little pricey at $59.99 but it's the only thing I ever need to buy for storing and transporting my hunting clothing/gear.  If you would ever need to send this in the mail or take it on an airplane you can seal it or lock it for security.  Take a look at the link below.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:14 am

I tell you what guys, those expensive scent eliminating totes are nice, but not really needed IMO!  I buy clear (see through) plastic totes from Wally World for a few bucks, then buy my XL or XXL zip lock bags from there also.  When I first buy them I spray them down with Scentkiller, let it dry, then put my hunting clothes in the zip lock bags and then put the bags in the totes.  My boots go in the tote as well along with any equipment that I use during the hunt.  Never had any problems with getting scent on it this way.  All this for under $10!!!!!  If you wanted, and you weren't using Scentblocker/Scent Lok/etc., you could put those scent wafers in there as well that smell like dirt.  I used to do that but now hunt with Scentblocker so I keep it totally scent free now.

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:58 am

You're right, you can probably do it a lot cheaper with something from Walmart but I like the fact the ScenTote seals air tight with a carbon insert to fight orders.  There is no need to put anything in a plastic bag with the ScenTote so overall it's easier to pack and manage.  I like the fact you can lock it with a paddle lock too to secure things and keep the kids out of it!

Definitely good advice buckhunter21, I bought mine a couple years ago when money was good.  These days I might opt for your solution if I didn't already have one!

Damn, wish I was out in the woods hunting rather than typing in these blogs, the itch is getting bad again!

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:29 am

The plastic tote, be it from Bass Pro(carbon lined) or Wal-Mart is quite simply the greatest invention to date.[:D] I think I own too many to count on both hands.  I store everything in them, not only hunting gear, but it definetely does the right job for your gear, thats for sure.

Hey, a similar question:  Will using scent wafers in your garment bags with a scentlok suit ruin the suit in terms of the carbon liner and what not?  If so, I need to take them out as soon as someone tells me it will!!!!![&:]
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:24 pm

[font=tahoma]I use airtight bags for my Scentlok clothes, but for the rest of my hunting gear I use about 3 of the Rubbermaid totes.  I love them!  I put a couple of dirt scent wafers in them and they keep everything organized![/font]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:32 pm

I have a rubber tote that i put my clothes in with a couple boxes of baking soda dumped in. As for my scent lok suit, it has been laying in the corner of the basement for the last 2 years.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices