How long to get a mount back???

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
danlap82288

How long to get a mount back???

Postby danlap82288 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:41 am

I turned in a shoulder mount whitetail in November, and was told it would be around 6 months. In June I called him, and he said it was almost done, call next week. This has been going on since then. Is this a common practice among taxidermists? This is my first trophy buck, so I'm not sure what to expect! I just want my deer!!!

Ohio farms

Re: How long to get a mount back???

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:57 am

I've waited up to 8 months. The time depends on a lot of variables, but he should not be leading you on with weak excuses. If you feel that he is doing that, you might want to pay him a visit to see at what stage your mount is currently at.
Patients is a key...a good mount from a busy taxidermist can take time to be done right.
Post your picture when you get the mount back.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

DEER30

Postby DEER30 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:39 am

I have waited as long as a year. I actually picked up one mount while dropping off another, it was a good stretch of years. But being busy is no excuse for not giving you an honest/realistic time frame. I also think you should stop by and check on things. If nothing else you will let the taxidermist know that you have taken notice to the continued delays and may light a fire under him to get your mount finished.

Definately post a picture!

woodsalta

Postby woodsalta » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:41 pm

Took me almost two years to get my bobcat. I didnt want to pester the guy, but after a year and a half I told him that I was going to be in the area and would be stopping by to pickup either my mount or the pelt along with my deposit. I showed up, and surprise, the mount was done.
A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject.

1-GTOHunter

Postby 1-GTOHunter » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:36 pm

Sorry DoublePost Reply EDITED:
Last edited by 1-GTOHunter on Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1-GTOHunter

Postby 1-GTOHunter » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:39 pm

I was one of the first to drop off my Deer off at the Taxidermist last Nov.,got my finished 11-Point Buck back around June I believe....so 7 month wait wasn't very bad.I have had to wait up to 9-10 months at the other Taxidermist I went to,but thats understandable since I dropped the Deer off later on in the Rifle Season...now if it was an early Bow Kill I would have gotten it back a lot sooner like 6 months!

If I had to wait over a year (12 months) for a Shoulder Mount to be finished I wouldn't take any more to that same Taxidermist....I hope You didn't put a lot of money down on the Mount and they keep dragging it on and on? :shock:

Return to Off Topic