Rage's and shoot through blinds

ARROWSMITH

Rage's and shoot through blinds

Postby ARROWSMITH » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:14 pm

Okay here is the scoop.  I shot a doe sunday morning from a shoot through blind using Rage 3 blades.  This is the first year I've used Rages, and the first time I've shot one through my blind.  It clearly went through my netting with 2 of the three blades open and pulled my shot to the left by more than 6 inches at only 15 yards and put the arrow squarely in the does sholder. Luck on my side, it did manage to deflect into the chest cavity and get both lungs.  The deer ran about 60 yards and droped, but that was the ugliest shot I've ever made. I have used spitfires for years and never had this problem.

The question is, have any of you ever had the same problem from the Rage's? Just to clear up something before we get started I did make sure that all the blades were seated in the O-Ring immediatly before the shot.

PrairieShadow

RE: Rage's and shoot through blinds

Postby PrairieShadow » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:34 pm

From what i have read, the rages do not go well with the shoot thru blinds as just what you said happens. No personal experience just reading here and on other sites.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:36 am

I don't think any mechanical would work well when shot through the netting of a blind, theres always a chance a blade might catch and deploy throwing your shot off a little. 
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:07 am

I own the rage 3 as well and understanding how the slip cams work, as soon as they come in contact with resistance the blades will deploy...O ring or not.  The O ring will keep them seated for flight, but once the front of those cams come into contact with a surface, be it a net or otherwise they are going to deploy.  For sure the Bowhunting gods were smiling on you that day :)

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:53 am

No mechanical should be shot thru a shoot-thru window.......they`re all intended to open upon resistance/pressure. The force of going thru the mesh will certainly create the pressure needed to make them open.

Since that wasn`t obvious enough for you to see before attempting, I`ll give you a heads up athe you don`t want to shoot your firearm thru them either, you`ll catch the blind on fire.......

[8|]

ARROWSMITH

Postby ARROWSMITH » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:01 pm

Okay on th e Rage's I might agree that they should not be used in a shoot through blind.  However I have been using Spitfire's in my shoot through for thr last 2 years without a problem.  So to say "No mechanical should be shot thru a shoot-thru window" would be wrong!  Is that obvious enough for you hunter480.[8D]

The fact of the matter is I did research the spitfires 2 years ago when I bought my blind to see if they were compatable, and found through bow shops and other users they were.  In this case I guess I incorrectly assumed that the broad head industry had over come this little snag, so to speak. 

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:28 pm

Oops-I obviously did not research before I replied, so.............I stand corrected.

ARROWSMITH

Postby ARROWSMITH » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:09 pm

I will say this about the Rages'.  Even though the shot hit the shoulder and she ran off with my arrow sticking out of her side (which I can't stand to see that) I picked up a blood trail about 10 yards from where I shot her, that was OK and after that it looked like a slaughter house right up to where I found her.

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:02 am

Blades deploying early

O-ring checking

No shoot through window blind shooting

Questionable legalities in some states

I give you mech guys credit for at least believing in something enough to put up with it all. [:D]

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:23 am

ORIGINAL: Squirrelhawker

Blades deploying early

O-ring checking

No shoot through window blind shooting

Questionable legalities in some states

I give you mech guys credit for at least believing in something enough to put up with it all. [:D]

Check out this link to a page on the old forum, I can take the extra step of making sure my blades are locked in when nocking an arrow.  When I know I'll get results similiar to the first two photos.

http://archive.deeranddeerhunting.com/default.aspx?tabid=376&view=topic&forumid=79&postid=35563#post37033
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Next

Return to Broadheads