CWD found in Portage County

Bigfoot

CWD found in Portage County

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:14 pm

was just listening to the 5pm Eau Claire news and they had that on their...........of course it's not in a wild deer.....no no no..............it's a deer in a hunting preserve

cant wait to see how the dnr over-reacts to this......since it's 2 or so counties away from their cwd zone

DeerCamp

RE: CWD found in Portage County

Postby DeerCamp » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:09 pm

my guess is they are gonna go on a rampage and try to kill every animal off................ All in all, lets just get rid of these darn deer in a pen.. Thats whats always causing the problem.. It doesnt ever see to start in the wild.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:59 pm

I didnt hear that, thanks for the info and keep us updated on how they are handling it! Good luck.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

deerhunter713

Postby deerhunter713 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:24 pm

Portage County of which state?

Bigfoot

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:33 pm

(sorry but i cant resist) hmmm.....i posted in the "wisconsin" forum..............now that you mention it i have no idea what state i was talking about

here's the article from the channel 13 website......and i agree completly deercamp

A Wisconsin white-tailed deer has tested positive for chronic wasting disease
A state veterinarian says the deer was on a hunting preserve in Portage County.
if (self['plpm'] && plpm['Mid-Story Ad']) document.write('');if (self['plpm'] && plpm['Mid-Story Ad']){ document.write(plpm['Mid-Story Ad']);} else { if(self['plurp'] && plurp['97']){} else {document.write(''); } }if (self['plpm'] && plpm['Mid-Story Ad']) document.write(''); It was killed last month.
The Wisconsin Department of Ag, Trade and Consumer Protection's investigation will look at the animal's history and trace movements of deer onto and off the property.
It hopes to find out whether other herds may have been exposed to CWD.
96 deer have tested positive for CWD in the state.

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:17 am

Oh boy, here we go.  There should be at the very least mandatory testing if you have any kind of fenced in deer herd every year, just like mad cow disease and TB for beef and dairy cattle.  To often the idiots that run these fenced herds let their animals escape in poor maintenance practices on their fences for the enclosures.  Can't wait to see what kneejerk reaction comes next!!!!!!  I'm not a baiting fan, but the future tells me portage county is about to see the end of that!
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

wack

Postby wack » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:18 pm

Um, they found a CWD positive tested deer in a game farm bordering Portage County several years ago and the result of that was the banning of bait in Portage County. If I remember right, it was Waushara ? County but I'm not sure.
 Deer do not do well as domestic animals. Not sure why, but it does seem like they are more prone to diseases like CWD when kept domestic. One of the biggest reasons we have so many deer farms is hunters demand for deer urine. We also have several closed fence hunting places popping up all over the state. This is a case where now 2 deer farms at 2 different times have put our deer population at risk in Portage Co..
  I also don't understand why farms can have elk in WI. yet we cant do anything to help the 150 wild elk we already have. We have 700 square miles set aside for elk reintroduction in Clam Lake, the elk are using only 40 square miles so far. We have all of the Black River Falls area set aside for elk reintroduction besides Clam Lake. Yet we only have 150 elk, all bunched together, just waiting til CWD makes it's way north to wipe them out.  Can't even split up the 150 elk so not all the population is in one area thanks to the Dept. of Agriculture's ban on transporting elk. Seems the only elk WI wants are domestic elk and they aren't even sure they want them. Too risky for the cows.
 About the only thing that will slow down the CWD from moving north is up north we have a lot of wolves and bears. Some area's up north are at the deer density levels the DNR wants in the CWD Zone due to the growing population of wolves and bears. That's why most of up north is Regular deer hunting zone and the rest of the state is CWD zone, EAB zone and herd management zones or what ever they call them. DNR isn't advertising the fact that some of the northern areas deer density has dropped way below the targeted goals and yet they sell more tags. Short term this is bad for deer hunters, long term, really bad unless we can get the elk started back up and control the wolves. You can't have wolves with only deer to feed on. Doubt Doyle is going to let us hunt wolves until they get too far south. Somehow we need to get through to Madison that if we have to have wolves, we have to have elk and buffalo for them to feed on. That's how the food chain works. No big game, wolves will eat domestic animals after they wipe out the deer. That's how it's worked everywhere else in the world. They let the wolves wipe out the deer, I'm not helping them take out the wolves. They wanted wolves, I want wild elk and buffalo and maybe a moose or two, the way it was and is supposed to be. Between CWD and the wolves, it's time to do deer a favor and reintroduce other big game to Wisconsin with the goal of having huntable populations of deer, elk, bears, buffalo and wolves in 10-20 years in the north woods of Wisconsin. Return the food chain to as near as perfect as we can is the only way to save the deer and bear hunting as we know it in our state. The anti hunters wanted wolves to compete with deer hunters, DNR wants wolves to help keep deer numbers down, we only want wolves if we get other big game species to go with the wolves. We've got some very interest decisions to make in the near future and our children's hunting future hangs in the balance.
 Portage county has been one of those central WI. deer heaven types of hunting areas. I know, I've hunted there for at least 15 years. No wolves, no bears, no CWD, lots of good habitat and farm fields, good mix of hard woods and pines. Will be interesting to see what ruins it first, wolves, CWD, or DNR and Dept. of Ag.? Looks like the Government is in the lead, CWD jumps ahead of schedule for second place and the wolves are on the way. Finding a good place to hunt deer in WI. is getting to be a challenge. Don't forget, when the deer are all gone, I told you so, and when it's time you're ready to beg for the deer back, don't forget to ask for elk and buffalo and maybe a moose or two. We've paid the price of save the wolves now it's time to save Wisconsin's big game. 
American by birth, hunter by choice.

Big Buck Daddy

Postby Big Buck Daddy » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:49 pm

The CWD infested penned deer in 2005 were from a farm in Portage Co. NOT Waushara Co.  According to the DNR's website, CWD has not been reported in Waushara County (as of yet).

CWD was found in south-central Wisconsin, in the wild. 

The reason baiting was banned in Wisconsin was due to several controversial factors. 

There are wolves and bear around, even in Portage County.
You can do anything you want, but you'll eventually have to answer to THE MAN for it!

Bigfoot

Postby Bigfoot » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:00 am

and as a result of the **** deer farms baiting is now banned in Wood and Marathon counties starting on Dec 15(i hunt the next county over from Wood)

Baiting and feeding ban goes into effect in Marathon and Wood counties Dec. 15, 2008 MADISON – The Department of Natural Resources announced today that, in accordance with existing state law, a baiting and feeding ban on white tailed deer will go into effect on December 15, 2008 in Marathon and Wood counties. The action is being taken because a CWD-positive white-tailed deer was confirmed by the Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection on a 119-acre shooting preserve in Portage County. Baiting and feeding of deer was banned in Portage County several years ago due to confirmation of CWD positive deer on a deer farm near Almond in September 2002.
Marathon and Wood counties are within a 10-mile radius of the Junction City deer farm on which this CWD-positive deer was confirmed. State law requires that counties or portions of counties within a 10-mile radius of a game farm or free-ranging CWD-positive are included in the baiting and feeding prohibition. With the addition of Marathon and Wood, baiting and feeding of deer is banned in 28 Wisconsin counties.
"The discovery of a new CWD case in another Wisconsin county is disappointing," said DNR Secretary Matt Frank. "As required by state law, we are extending the ban on baiting and feeding of deer to Marathon and Wood counties to reduce the risk of further disease transmission," Frank said.

Effective December 15, 2008, hunters can no longer use bait to hunt deer in Marathon and Wood counties. The feeding of deer in these counties is prohibited as well. Individuals can still feed birds and small mammals provided the feeding devices are at a sufficient height or design to prevent access by deer and the feeding device is within 50 yards of a human dwelling.

Fish

Postby Fish » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:44 am

Real sorry to hear than Bigfoot,  look forward to a really, REALLY productive year, unlimited permits, as many bucks as you can shoot that year and then EAB for the rest of your life.  Just remember the good times when your freezing your butt off and not seeing a deer for the whole gun season

Return to Wisconsin