Crops on Public hunting grounds

wack

Crops on Public hunting grounds

Postby wack » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:59 am

I've been scouting several public hunting grounds in Winnebago county and this summer I was excited to find a couple properties that had soy beans planted on DNR land. I'm thinking this is awesome! Late season deer food!
Last week I was looking at my maps and notes, trying to find that property that didn't get all shot up for the T Zone hunt last weekend, wind out of the east, good time to hunt those bean fields.

When I got there, I see all the beans have been harvested! Drove to the next public bean field and it's been harvested too. They've all been harvested. WTF? The signs say DNR, not Dept. of Ag. Most of the simular DNR properties in the area are restored grasslands.
My questions are who planted the soy beans? Who harvested them? Who pays for and who profits from the planting and harvesting? This is public hunting grounds, why are they using it for a cash crop? Why not plant food for the deer and wildlife? Even after the cash crop, why don't they plant winter wheat or something that may benefit the wildlife? We give the deer a solid food source for summer and fall and then strip it away just before rut and winter? I'm not sure if the cut bean field is still better than an over grown CRP grass field. The area really doesn't need more bedding area, they need food to keep them out of the neighboring farm fields. Maybe we should plant beans and corn on more public land and leave it standing?

Can someone please explain what's going on here?
American by birth, hunter by choice.

Goose

RE: Crops on Public hunting grounds

Postby Goose » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:17 am

Never have seen or heard of crops on public land so Im no help to ya.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

wack

RE: Crops on Public hunting grounds

Postby wack » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:17 am

I drove past some of these places for years and didn't know until I got a DNR map of that county. Look a little closer and sure enough, the DNR signs are there. I even found one that the DNR bought last year, isn't on the map yet, but the signs are up. Friday 2nd day of Herd control hunt it was a war zone! Seems word travels fast.
 It just seemed odd to grow soy beans on DNR property and harvest it.  Is the DNR leasing our hunting grounds? Maybe part of the contract with the land seller? How does it work? Why did they harvest my bean fields?? They could have left a little by the woods, could plant something good for the deer year round to keep them out of the farmers fields, but no, just harvest it and run. Not sure what's worse, big fields of CRP grass or a cut bean field. We could be doing better with our public hunting grounds, that's for sure and want to know what the DNR is doing growing a cash crop on DNR land? It's not for hunters or the wildlife?  If it was for the wildlife, then somebody stole it. I can understand the farmer next door harvesting his corn, that's what he does. (He'd better harvest soon, the soy beans are gone, his corn is next.) What is the DNR doing in the ag. business with my tax and hunting dollar? Am I paying $165 a year to gaurd the DNR's bean fields? Someone please explain what's going on?
American by birth, hunter by choice.

Return to Wisconsin