Fishing

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Ohio farms

Re: Fishing

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:57 pm

Sounded like a great day. I prefer to always fish with someone, some of which for the reasons that you stated, but those days when you are alone and the fish are really hitting...priceless.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:16 pm

You guys are killing me with those pics-- :( ...Sailfish you must do some good eating down there....im living the dream from my computer screen- :D ....That damn seafood is so healthy and good..mmm mm man!

Ohio-those pics are almost a throw back of Big Rock Creek in Illinois..-me and a buddy walked it for miles whipping spinnerbaits for smallies ..i often opted for Yo-Zurry [spelling] ?...''pins minnows' bait and an ultralight..6lb test and guaranteed fun!

We would often catch a dozen bass..always C&R on that creek - What a work out but fun!...hoping to get some big bluegill fishing in this week.and maybe a walleye or 2 -

Keep those pics coming - Can't wait till i get the 11stitches off my back -than i'l be back in it- :mrgreen:

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:26 pm

DSCN4326b_20.JPG
DSCN4326b_20.JPG (71.85 KiB) Viewed 796 times

My son Mike was here for a week of fishing with me before he leaves for Afghanistan with the 1st Infantry Division in September. We finished our weeklong fish marathon by fishing salmon out of Grand Haven Michigan yesterday morning. We went out with a friend on his 34 foot boat. We were back in by noon with 11 Kings and one coho. Took home 48.5 pounds of fillets. Son Mike caught the largest fish and had a ball. I plan on trying out Ohio Farms recipe for Planked Salmon in the very near future.
Attachments
DSCN4269b_20.JPG
DSCN4269b_20.JPG (51.68 KiB) Viewed 796 times

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:17 pm

Beautiful fish Wanderer. You won't be disappointed with the planked recipe. The bones are pretty big on a salmon of that size, but I try to pull the bones out with pair of needle nose pliers prior to grilling. You don't have to, but my wife likes it that way.
My French River fishing trip is less than a month away now. I'm really starting to get excited. Check out the camp picture that I found.
I wish your son to return safely after his tour of duty. You must be very proud of him. I am and we have never met.
Attachments
newsonycam085.JPG
newsonycam085.JPG (74.99 KiB) Viewed 795 times

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:13 pm

DSCN4327_20b.jpg
DSCN4327_20b.jpg (240.66 KiB) Viewed 793 times
Ohio farms,
Funny you should say that about the bones and a pliers. When we got home, the fillets needed to be "portion adjusted". No way do my wife and I need a fillet as large as these were. I tried cutting out the bones on the first one, then switched to my Leatherman and pulled the bones out. My son Mike then took over the pliers for the rest of the fillets while I skinned them and chunked them up in the proper size for two people. Here I thought I had invented a procedure that you have already proved out. I had to put two glass cutting boards together so the fillets wouldn't hang off the edge. What a ball. When my buddy Greg found out Mike was deploying, he took the day off work to take us fishing. That really made Mike feel good. He headed back to Ft Riley this A.M. and was still smiling from the fishing. I'll pass your "I'm proud of you" on to Mike. And thank you, Ohio farms, for your service in Viet Nam.
Your French River trip looks like fun. Do you need anyone to come along and hold your coat for you while you're fishing?

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:25 pm

I know what you mean about the size of one filet. We cut them into thirds and they were still big. I've found out that the bones come out more easily if you pull then before you freeze the filets. Some of those bones are the size of nails. Good eats.
And thank you for your comment.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:18 pm

After crossing off the days for the last 7 months, I'm leaving for my fishing trip on the Upper French River in the morning. Reports are that walleye are biting in front of the cabins and northerns and muskie have been active for the last 2 weeks. Pinch me...I'm dreaming. Be back next Sunday and hopefully I'll have pictures to share.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:18 pm

have fun!
Good luck
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:26 am

Report?

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:05 pm

Realized I hadn't posted the Keys family fishing trip pics yet

Daughter with a Cero Mackeral

Her friend and a bug

Dinner
Fortunate enough to have lobster for dinner 10 out of 15 nights, but we didn't exactly slay them as I had hoped (by the way, I was able to get my breath hold to 2 min 9 seconds the week we headed down)

This is a Hind (grouper, Strawberry Grouper). Caught tons of them, not allowed to keep them (apparently they are in dwindling numbers :? (thanks NOAA and the EDF for that)

Son with his first Jack. Caught it on his very first rod/reel (with a bit of my help holding the rod up.....these guys TUG)

True Black Grouper. The story on this kills me. First off, in my life i've never caught a true Black(offshore species). I just bought my son a new rod/reel (its mainly a small snapper type set-up) combo. We're going to go down to the dock behind the house to catch the small snapper. We are in the canals, probably 20 minutes to the open water at no-wake.I'm rigging his rod, and he says "Dad, i'm going to catch a grouper."
I said,"Sure son, good luck" and a patronizing but well meaning pat on his head.
So of a gun, if he didn't catch this Black on his second fish!!
And then, not only does he call his shot, he sets the rod down, says "Ok, I did it, i'm done, going to jump into the pool" Turd.

HUGE SEAS

Nice place to snorkle for the Lobster. Its 8'-18' deep and a nice coral reef.
American Shoal

The ever elusive, rarely seen skittish Key Deer

Dolphin was a bust. Nothing but little chicken dolphin.
YT snapper were in abundance, no monsters, most were 1/2" undersized.
Caught a good amount of Mango Snapper and a HUGE barracuda. HUGE (actually hooked him for a short time really,,,too light of tackle)

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic