Learning the hard way

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
flatheadnut

Learning the hard way

Postby flatheadnut » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:20 am

[font="times new roman"]Things that start out great can turn sad in a hurry.  Friday morning was the coldest morning we have had this season.  As I approached the farm at about 6:15 AM a large bodied deer crossed the road in front of me.  I just felt I was going to kill my first deer that morning.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]            I got on stand nice and early.  Waited and waited for light.  When I had good light, I hit the grunt tube twice.  I was going to wait 15 minutes grunt again and then hit the rattling bag for a sequence.  When I walked to my stand, I had pinned an estrus doe wafer to my boot.  Before rattling, I looked carefully before rattling, and right behind me, on my entrance trail was a large bodied buck.  Then it just disappeared.  I have no idea where it went.  I wait 5 minutes and hit the grunt tube really soft.  The buck comes back right to my entrance trail, but never gives me a shot opportunity.  He stomps and starts to walk way.  As he gets out of sight, I hit the grunt tube again.  He turns and comes right up my shooting lain, and boy is he looking for that other buck.  It was so cool.  At like 10 yards, he clears the brush, and turns broadside, I let fly with the arrow.  He explodes and I watch Him run 30 yards my arrow sticking out of Him.  The arrow was a little far back, but felt I had at least liver.  I call my wife; she comes and helps me track thinking it will be short and end with pictures.  I shot at 7:40, we start trailing at 9:35.  At about 2:00, we had followed the trail to a pond, about 400 yards, most of that was on my knees.  At the pond we find my arrow, but have no idea where he went.  I circle the pond, and begin to crawl through a trail on the other side.  I find more blood, and keep crawling.  Sometimes just a speck other times 2-3 dime size drops.  At 3:00 PM I find where the deer leaves the property.  I back out and get permission to go on the other land.  I come back to the trail.  The other property is a sunflower field.  It had just rained so I could follow hoof prints.  Sure enough, a drop of blood about every 2-3 feet.  But 1/3 the way across the sunflower field the blood stops,  I continue to follow the hoof prints, and right in the tall grass where the deer exited the field is a smear of blood.  That's the last blood I will see.  I again get permission to go on private property, and continue to look.  Now I'm just wondering deer trails.  At 3:45, I jump the buck in a marsh.  He jumps through a small pond about 2 feet deep, and runs for over 100 yards.  Doesn't act at all hurt.  There is no blood where he was bedded.  At 5:00, I had to go to work.  I'm just sick.  Is there a place above the vital, but below the spinal cord that I could have hit him and not killed him?  I found the arrow at the first pond.  It was in the water.  I don't know how to describe what was on the broad head.  It was white in color, but had no odor, and was impossible to wipe off after it had dried.  When dry it was crusty and flakey.  As I rehearse everything over and over in my mind.  I think I have figured out where I blew it.  In the excitement of the moment, I didn't pick the exact hair I wanted to hit, I put pin on center of target and shot, just like my bag target.  I don't know why I always have to learn the hard way, but even when excited pick the exact point you are going to hit, and complete your full shot routine.  Sorry for letting everyone down.[/font]
Hunt safe, hunt often, hunt ethically, and don't forget to say Thank You!

Panman1949

RE: Learning the hard way

Postby Panman1949 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:03 pm

Hey flathead,
Sounds like you learned why we call it hunting and not killing.  Sucks, but thats life.  It happens.  We try not to let it happen, but if we hunt long enough, it will.  Keep at it.  We all learn from each hunt no matter how long we have been at it.  Good luck with the rest of the season.  Panman
Be Aware, Bikes are Everywhere!!

Goose

Postby Goose » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:58 pm

They used to say there is an area there that would not be lethal, but new research shows that if you hit anywhere in the ribcage that the animal will die. Its possible you hit somewhere else though. Looks can be decieving in the moment of truth. Its hard to see where the arrow hit. Sometimes you see the fletchings but the broadhead is somewhere else. Good luck in the future.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:41 am

welcome to bowhunting. any deer hunter who has been at it for a while who says hes never lost a deer is either really lucky or a liar. weve all done it at one time or another. chalk it up as a valuable lesson. i would guess the white stuff you saw on your arrow was fat or tallow. a muscle hit will bleed like a stuck hog but a whitetails resilience will many times out last the bleeding.hair found at the shot or along the trail can many times indicate the psition of a shot. i once had a poster from d&dh back around 96 or 97 that showed the hairs from the variant areas on a deer im sure somthing like this would be findable on the web somewhere. again it sounds as though you exhausted every ave. in your search and made every effort. that is truly all we can expect of ourselves.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:19 am

Man, sorry to hear that.  It happens to every bowhunter,  I know I thought I was immune until last year.  The fact that you will approach your next chance differently (with how you will aim) proves that you learned a lesson (albeit a hard one).  Good luck in the future.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:45 am

Sorry that happened but ...it just happens...few years ago I called in a big 8 and bigger 10...the 8 committed and at 17yrds...right where I stood my 3-D target for practice...I shot the 8pt....watched the arrow go in behind shoulder but high...he never had a chance to drop at hit...watched him run  down the hill and through gully...waited 1/2 hour ...retreveived arrow at shot sight ...good blod and bubbles....marked and left to get help I knew he was too big for me to get out on my own...long and short....the only blood 3 of us ever found was on the arrow...we followeed tracks for a few hundred yrds...he was kicking up mud and leaves ...I personally looked for 3 days and then went out wind checking for the smell of death later....NOTHING!   It still makes me sick...ppl say it could have been just high enough to catch one lung and he was up hill from the stand just a bit ..so exit was a flat plane causing him to bleed inside....and one lung on  a down hill run could have taken him well over a mile...I just hope someone found him...I'll never know

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:16 am

These stories though heartbreaking, are positive for all of us in their collective information. You are in good company flathead.
The white substance on your arrow was most likely omentum- a fatty connective tissue that suspends and insulates internal organs. And it also has  nasty habit of plugging wounds and reducing or stopping bleeding altogether. Past the ribcage, you can have a dead deer, but all bets are are essentially off IMO. Heck, you can have dead deer with a hindquarter shot if you get the femoral artery and bowhunting is full of those occurrences. I had one of those with a slug once. Deer went down like it was hit in the head and was dead when I ran up to it.

Whitetails are incredibly resilient animals with amazing survival abilities. if that buck doesn't get septic, peritonitis,etc, he will most likely survive.

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:18 am

Hey flathead. Was just thinkin- what side did you shoot him on?

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:38 am

Been there, done that, hope it never happens again!
  A couple of years ago I had a doe come out and I figured time to fill a tag. When she was 10 yrds away, I let it fly, only to hit a twig I didn't speculate on. The arrow hit in the paunch and broke off . I watched her out of bow range for an hour til darkness settled in. Backed out and came back a couple hours later with lights. No blood and only footprints/kicked up leaves. Gave up about midnite. Talking with the landowner a couple days later they said they came across her. The coyotes got to her though. I wa sready to give up bow hunting at that point.
  Also had  another time, I shot a 3 point perfect at 20 yrds. An hour later I found the broken arrow where he hit a tree. Then the wind come up and big flakes started falling. I backed out for the night and got there 1st light. Needles to say, I found him out in a field, but the dang coyotes beat me to him.
  Time to start molesting coyotes.
There's nothing like being in the outdoors. Work is boring!

active NWTF member

NRA member

Hardwater nut

flatheadnut

Postby flatheadnut » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:15 am

I shot him on the left side.  Why do you ask?
Hunt safe, hunt often, hunt ethically, and don't forget to say Thank You!

Next

Return to General Discussions