Bonus bucks

bullwinkle

Bonus bucks

Postby bullwinkle » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:50 am

In this weeks WON newspaper a DNR official mentioned expanding Bonus Buck program across the state. I love the idea. Shoot does to help the cause and get a second buck tag. Finally a positive (reward the desired behavior) idea to incent people to shoot does

It would add a lot of fun to the game of bow hunting. Right now I am not even hunting early season because I don't want to fill my tag and miss the rut. There are a lot of guys like me that will hit the woods earlier if they
had more than one buck tag

There are a lot of deer this year IMO. The problem is the drought will make the dispersion of deer even worse - I see them in large groups where there are green fields and water

Jslotter

Re: Bonus bucks

Postby Jslotter » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:55 pm

The bonus buck tag is a good incentive. I focus on getting a doe right away from the weekend opener into mid-October. If I see a buck I like in that time frame, I will take him. Otherwise I wait for the rut to focus on buck hunting.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:20 pm

It would be a bigger incentive and much more effective with a "One Buck" rule.

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:53 pm

Yes it would but that one buck rule I believe would start another war. The DNR does not have any political capital left to burn

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:55 pm

It's not about political capital, it's about doing what is right for the resource.

It's time for Wisconsinites to put on their big boy pants and act like adults when it comes to deer hunting and making it better than it used to be.

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:26 pm

Don't disagree in theory with you Dan. The fact the DNR has been taken out at the knees. The politicians are running the deer policy. You think 1 buck a year will pass the laugh test in Madison politics? The DNR couldn't even eliminate baiting with all the disease going around and in an ag state!!!

Walked has all the guns and he is listening to people not the DNR

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:13 pm

That's the first step to the end.

Listen to people, sure, explain to them in terms they can understand or show them why their ideas do/don't, in reality, work and you will gain respect. The explanation in terms relate-able to the masses is where the DNR has gone wrong.

Wisconsin deer hunters should be very scared of the fact that politicians are calling the shots. One only need to look at the current racial/class warfare and problems with entitlement programs such as social security and medicare to see where this is likely heading.

Deer won't be far behind...

Ghillie

Postby Ghillie » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:58 am

When deer management is controlled by politics as opposed to science - we are in trouble. WI has some of the finest deer hunting in the US. Are there some problems? Yes. But the solutions should be in the hands of trained resource managers.

We have had the bonus buck deal in the CWD zone for several years. This presents additional opportunity for hunters - but remember that the goal in CWD land is to reduce the herd substantially to impede the spread of CWD. It has resulted in reduced deer numbers. I am not sure this is what everyone across the state wants - or that it is scientifically warranted everywhere.

bouhntr

Postby bouhntr » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:43 pm

I hunt in cwd. last year I shot a nice buck and two does, so this year I will be starting out with 2 buck stickers plus my back tag,Im sure I wont be shooting three bucks but hopefully i will be seeing some nice ones early and I wont hesitate to fill the freezer with a doe 1st if given the chance

Return to Wisconsin